Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 08:12 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,943,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
The Lion kills virtually EVERY chance it gets, i'm amazed at all the pathetic outcry about this old lion who eats it's prey alive weekly or daily, for years.
There really are so so many people who see this lion the same as they see a cute stuffed animal, or 'the lion king' disney image.

Besides that, it's very likely that his 'guide' just took him anywhere he knew there would be a lion to make the easy $$$$$. If a Frenchman, or a Zimbabwayan came to the usa and shot a wolf out in the wild , i'd not want him jailed for it, especially if Americans had guided him.

How about getting rid of mugabe? you know, the guy who kills MILLIONS of PEOPLE every year through wars and famine while taking all foreign aid to his bank? no. but an old lion? don't mess with him. of course not. i love human hypocrisy.
Aren't you the poster who stated animals have no feelings - that they are "just there"? No wonder you are amazed at the outcry. How sad that you consider people's concern pathetic and don't question your own mindset. Now that's pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 08:13 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:
guess what? he PAID for that license to kill a bear that the govt. LEGALLY allowed. that's right! ms. morality, your morals don't mean jack. govt. and law is are that matter. and this guy pumps hundreds of thousands into the economy.

All Hail Mammon!

Old 07-31-2015, 08:15 AM

91 posts, read 177,043 times
HappyTexan It's a faux outrage, just like everything else the social media crowd jumps into.
Short lived until the next "crisis' pops up.

Notice the big outrage over the Confederate flag has all but died out ?

You didn't see this much outrage when the Black Rhino was killed.[/quote]

Thats because Rhinos are ugly and fat. The Rhino also did not have a name like Cecil. People need to stop equating this lion with a house pet.
The hunter if you can call him that, I think had some idea that the guide was bending the rules.
I am not up on Zimbabwe's hunting regulations, from what I read in the articles it sounds like Palmer hired these guides in good faith and pruchased all the tags to make this a legal hunt.
Most likely after several days of not seeing so much as hair let alone a lion he probably inquired as to alternate methods to attract the lion. let's face it this is a big money operation and the guides will do everything possibel for the hunter to get a shot.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:18 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,943,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I have never understood trophy hunting. I am fine with hunting deer or bird hunting because at least people are eating the meat, but from what I understand these big game hunters donate the bodies to the locals for the meat, fur, and hides. I don't think lions are on the endangered species list, even though it's disgusting to want to kill one.

That said, I really have a problem with wishing to extradite the dentist to face Zimbabwean justice. How often do we extradite our own citizens to other countries to face justice? I was always under the impression we don't do that, and fight to get our own citizens back who are imprisoned in other countries with human rights violations. We managed to use the small window of time between trials to get Amanda Knox back and refused to send her back to Italy.
Dr. Palmer did not donate the meat, hide or head. The head has been located in a taxidermy shop, as he had every intention of having it stuffed and mailed back to the US so he could display it in his home. The skinned body was left to rot.

Taken from a recent article How endangered are lions? | CCTV America

According to National Geographic, some 200,000 lions roamed across Africa a century ago. Today, there are less than 30,000.
And that decline appears to be accelerating. Looking at population data from 1993 to 2014 — about three lion generations — the International Union for Conservation of Nature found a staggering 42 percent drop in the population. That figure varies drastically depending on where the big cats live. Due to conservation efforts and good fences in Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, and Zimbabwe — where Cecil was killed — lion populations have increased by a little over 10 percent.
But outside those four countries, the situation is much more dire — an average of 60 percent population loss.
At one time, lions roamed vast swaths of land across Africa and Asia. Now, they are regionally extinct in 26 countries and possibly extinct in seven more according to the IUCN. Humans are essentially the lion’s only predator and are to blame for their endangered status.

“Among the causes, the most important are indiscriminate killing in defense of life and livestock, habitat loss, prey base depletion, bushmeat trade, and poorly regulated sport hunting,” wrote the IUCN’s lion assessors.
If current trends continue, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service director Dan Ashe warned that lions could dissappear from the earth in 35 years.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:21 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
No, for now you have destroyed him financially even before all facts are in, for engaging in legal activity you don't approve of.

I would like to know what the reaction of the crowd here would be if he same tactics were used on a doctor performing late term abortions. Oh, wait, that's "fetus" so it's not human and below even an animal.

No, he destroy his own financial. That amount he paid to kill Cecil (not to mention his other trophies) could do alot for other useful causes.
Please start another thread for your own curious project.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:23 AM

21,467 posts, read 10,568,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Amanda Knox was tried twice for the same offense.

First found guilty.

Second found not guilty.

The Italians wanted to try her for a THIRD time!

Quite different.
Not really. My point was that we wanted our citizen here away from Italian justice because she's an American, not neccessarily because we are sure she's not guilty. The supposed reason Obama and Biden failed to get a status of forces agreement in Iraq was because we didn't want our soldiers having to be imprisoned by the Iraqis if they committed crimes over there. We fight to get our citizens out of prisons in other countries all the time, no matter the guilt or innocence of the citizen. We especially want them back from countries that are big human rights violators. Look at Beaux Bergdhal (not sure of spelling). We knew he was a deserter who may have given information to the enemy that resulted in deaths of our soldiers, yet we got him out anyway because he's ours and shouldn't be in the hands of the Taliban. And for that we swapped prisoners who have committed far more heinous acts than shooting a lion, knowing it was essentially setting them free to kill again.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:25 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
Quote:
guess what? he PAID for that license to kill a bear that the govt. LEGALLY allowed. that's right! ms. morality, your morals don't mean jack. govt. and law is are that matter. and this guy pumps hundreds of thousands into the economy.
Yes, he had a license to kill the bear legally but he didn't. He killed it outside of the hunting zone ILLEGALLY.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Dr. Palmer did not donate the meat, hide or head. The head has been located in a taxidermy shop, as he had every intention of having it stuffed and mailed back to the US so he could display it in his home. The skinned body was left to rot.

Taken from a recent article How endangered are lions? | CCTV America

According to National Geographic, some 200,000 lions roamed across Africa a century ago. Today, there are less than 30,000.
And that decline appears to be accelerating. Looking at population data from 1993 to 2014 — about three lion generations — the International Union for Conservation of Nature found a staggering 42 percent drop in the population. That figure varies drastically depending on where the big cats live. Due to conservation efforts and good fences in Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, and Zimbabwe — where Cecil was killed — lion populations have increased by a little over 10 percent.
But outside those four countries, the situation is much more dire — an average of 60 percent population loss.
At one time, lions roamed vast swaths of land across Africa and Asia. Now, they are regionally extinct in 26 countries and possibly extinct in seven more according to the IUCN. Humans are essentially the lion’s only predator and are to blame for their endangered status.

“Among the causes, the most important are indiscriminate killing in defense of life and livestock, habitat loss, prey base depletion, bushmeat trade, and poorly regulated sport hunting,” wrote the IUCN’s lion assessors.
If current trends continue, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service director Dan Ashe warned that lions could dissappear from the earth in 35 years.

And Zimbabwe issued the legal permits for him to go shoot a lion.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
If Zimbabwe cared so much for their lions why are they issuing permits allowing people to hunt them ?

Old 07-31-2015, 08:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
There should be outrage for people, the lion, lack of jobs, water and on and on ...
I just don't have the time and/or enthusiasm to be outraged over everything that is outrageous.

Could you really eat a nice dinner thinking about the thousands of children who will literally die of starvation by the team you have your next really nice meal? Could you actually enjoy a nice dinner at that point?

I'll admit that I'll be selfish and tune out things that should outrage me, because I want to enjoy my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events