Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 07:23 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times

Advertisements

There's nothing as ruthless and bloodthirsty as a killer swarm of self-righteous hypocritical idealists protected by anonymity.

I'm sure if they could literally skin the guy alive without ever leaving their chair or facing any consequences they would not hesitate a second, all in the name of "humanity".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 07:29 AM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
There's nothing as ruthless and bloodthirsty as a killer swarm of self-righteous hypocritical idealists protected by anonymity.

I'm sure if they could literally skin the guy alive without ever leaving their chair or facing any consequences they would not hesitate a second, all in the name of "humanity".

NO we are NOT him-but we are displaying disgust in the terms he would UNDERSTAND

Old 07-31-2015, 07:30 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Yeah it sucks the guy killed the lion, but there really are much more worthwhile reasons to get outraged..
I was amazed and talked all day about how realistic the dinosaurs were when I saw the original Jurassic Park for the first time twenty something years ago. Now such special effects are no big deal.

The majority of human suffering has been covered ad nauseam. We've become desensitized for the most part.

A handsome lion, with a name and collar, being shot with a crossbow by an American dentist after being lured out of a sanctuary is new and shiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Hmmm, I'm from Zimbabwe, and have many friends and family there are they are outraged about Cecil. I guess the article written by journalists based in the U.S. knows better?
Out of curiosity, do they live in a urban, suburban or rural areas.

My GUESS is those who are "further" from the wildlife will more likely be outraged.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:31 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Only locals who are rich enough to be a part of the "Twitterverse" have enough time to spare to bother being outraged over this.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:32 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Am I the only one seeing the total lack of logic here ?

So, it's "somewhat justified" if an all-too-well fed modern day Western hunter kills an animal for fun but takes some meat with him and leaves the head to rot.

But it's absolutely atrocious if he takes the head but leaves the meat.

It's fine for most people here to take a high moral ground while eating meats of animals raised and slaughtered in the most horrific ways possible.

Yet they are happy to skin alive, feed to lions, run over by a truck anyone who legally hunts a lion. (Again, if this guy knowingly hunted illegally, he needs to be prosecuted for it).
it's disgusting that you would take the time to chastise anyone from stating their objection to the actions of the pantie-wearing, medical school flunkie instead of going after the people that are supporting the enslavement of children for sex-trafficking

Last edited by Ghengis; 07-31-2015 at 08:15 AM..

Old 07-31-2015, 07:33 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
NO we are NOT him-but we are displaying disgust in the terms he would UNDERSTAND
No, for now you have destroyed him financially even before all facts are in, for engaging in legal activity you don't approve of.

I would like to know what the reaction of the crowd here would be if he same tactics were used on a doctor performing late term abortions. Oh, wait, that's "fetus" so it's not human and below even an animal.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:38 AM

91 posts, read 177,064 times
The outrage over Cecil the lion is a bit much. Most of those that are outraged need to stop looking at Cecil through the lens of a Disney movie. There are far great horrendous acts in this world that really need outrage.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:42 AM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
I have never understood trophy hunting. I am fine with hunting deer or bird hunting because at least people are eating the meat, but from what I understand these big game hunters donate the bodies to the locals for the meat, fur, and hides. I don't think lions are on the endangered species list, even though it's disgusting to want to kill one.

That said, I really have a problem with wishing to extradite the dentist to face Zimbabwean justice. How often do we extradite our own citizens to other countries to face justice? I was always under the impression we don't do that, and fight to get our own citizens back who are imprisoned in other countries with human rights violations. We managed to use the small window of time between trials to get Amanda Knox back and refused to send her back to Italy.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:43 AM

404 posts, read 385,612 times
There should be outrage across the board. It's amazing how when something happens to an animal people counter with "well people are being killed" or some other issue. That doesn't make it right. There should be outrage for people, the lion, lack of jobs, water and on and on ...duhhhh Common sense.

We should be striving to make the world a better place for all.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I have never understood trophy hunting. I am fine with hunting deer or bird hunting because at least people are eating the meat, but from what I understand these big game hunters donate the bodies to the locals for the meat, fur, and hides. I don't think lions are on the endangered species list, even though it's disgusting to want to kill one.

That said, I really have a problem with wishing to extradite the dentist to face Zimbabwean justice. How often do we extradite our own citizens to other countries to face justice? I was always under the impression we don't do that, and fight to get our own citizens back who are imprisoned in other countries with human rights violations. We managed to use the small window of time between trials to get Amanda Knox back and refused to send her back to Italy.
We don't but we have an election coming up next year.

If Obama appeased the social justice crowd that would solidify the Dem vote, wouldn't it ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events