Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 09:51 PM

1,136 posts, read 923,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
Had anyone had enough of this attention of the lion being killed? Jimmy kimmel crying on national TV over this.. Did he cry over the service men who were murdered a few weeks ago? I just don't get it... what we find important..
Honestly CD and Slate are the only paces I have seen this covered. I have actually seen more people complain about how much attention its getting than the actual attention its getting lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 10:15 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This incident has made me incredibly sad. It is my hope that this sociopath is brought to justice.
Yes and this is what Mack Knife fails to realize. He is correct in that far worse than this does occur in America every day, but this cases pushes all the wrong buttons so to speak. This sort of behavior can only accurately be described as sociopathic, but Dr. Palmer is like your next door neighbor. A rich white man paying off the third world so he can get off on his blood lust.

He's an uppity rich white American man by most superficial standards, and a sociopath. He's someone people entrust their lives with and someone people have thrown quite a bit of money at. I wonder how those people, those patients who have let this awful creature into their mouths, feel about financing these psychopathic killing sprees. Mack Knife gets the big picture but fails to take into account the human elements at play here. Maybe they just don't register.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:44 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Cecil the lion's killer revealed as American dentist - Telegraph

So, to sum up:
The lion was unlawfully lured out of a national park with bait. It was then shot over bait. It was then found the next day and shot and killed. The head and hide was taken - predictably, the rest was just discarded.

Since when is having someone else lure the game in with bait anything close to 'hunting'? Aside from the ethics of hunting, this clown did nothing of the sort. He sat on his ass while someone else put out raw meat to entice the lion out of its sanctuary, then he shot it - but it wasn't a killing shot - as it fed.

It's a pity the lion didn't have this fool for a meal.

More on this pathetic act:

Twin Cities dentist admits killing beloved lion, thought he was acting legally - StarTribune.com
Actually, to sum it up, it went like this:

Zimbabwe hosts thousands of tourists who travel by jeep and truck into protected wildlife areas. There they get to be up close and personal with all kinds of animals including lions. The lions, no longer afraid of humans walk around the vehicles and are no longer protective of themselves or their offspring which also walk around the humans as if it were ok.

One of these lions has been given a name, Cecil. Quite often, pictures are taken with the tourists and Cecil close together. Cecil the lion has become a stream of revenue for the park. The tourists love him and so does the park.

Cecil has become so comfortable around the tourists that he has lost his fear of people and unlike truly wild Lions, doesn't avoid people, he comes around when they show up.

Some guy named Palmer, a Dentist who has some wealth and who engages in trophy hunts arranged for and purchased a permit to shoot a lion with a crossbow in Zimbabwe. The permit was issued be the country even though Lions are a declining species and have been eradicated from much of their natural habitat. Regardless, Zimbabwe routinely allows trophy hunts and claims to use the money generated by the hunts to help operate the protected areas where lions like Cecil live. The protected areas are off-limits to hunters. Palmer has a colored history with hunting, he has poached before yet he was still granted an official permit to hunt lions in Zimbabwe.

During Palmer's trophy hunt, his guides illegally lured Cecil out of the park using a truck behind which they dragged meat to entice Cecil to follow. Why Cecil would follow a truck outside the protected area isn't known however, it is not common that lions follow trucks unless they are used to being around them. Wild animals, including lions, try to avoid contact or close proximity with people however, the protected area treat the lions there differently that they are treated in the wild. In the park, they are observed by people routinely, spoken to and in general conditioned to accept the presence of people as a normal and routine event. It is quite possible that Cecil, no longer fearing humans, chased the truck to get the bait food because having lost his fear of people, did not associate the truck or the people inside with danger. That danger, as real an imminent as it was, made no impression upon the big cat because until then, people just called out to it by name, took pictures and treated like as a big kitty instead of a wild animal. Cecil is the most photographed lion in the world and the revenue from pictures sold go to the government of Zimbabwe.

When Cecil was outside the protected area boundaries, Palmer shot him with a cross bow and as is common with such a weapon and similar types like bow and arrow, Cecil did not die immediately and ran off. Approximately 40 hours after being shot and running off wounded, the lion was found either dead or killed at that point. This is not unique in the world of hunting, especially with weapons that shoot bolts or arrows. This is because a bolt or arrow, unlike a bullet, relies on the animal bleeding to death. In the best of circumstances, the animal dies quickly but nevertheless almost always runs off, going either a short distance or quite a distance from where it was originally shot. Dangerous game such as a Lion is especially difficult to track as wounded animals are far more dangerous at that time. Some large game such as Water Buffalo as well as many predators can do sometimes to turn and attack the hunters, sometimes killing them. It is unclear if Palmer was slow to track and finish the lion or if the guides hesitated and instead waited, hoping the lion would die to avoid the high risk of tracking a wounded lion. In either case, the accepted rule of hunting is that you track and finish off the wounded animal as soon as possible.

News of the illegal killing of Cecil quickly spread via the Internet and news broadcast and quickly, calls for Palmer to the killed by various means including skinning him alive or having him decapitated became an accepted punishment in Internet forums. While Palmer has not been formerly charged with a crime thus far, a petition was sent the US government demanding his extradition even though no extradition has been requested by Zimbabwe.

Palmer has closed his dental practice and his employees are out of work, with approval also voiced in internet forums and elsewhere. Many participating in the discussion thinks Palmer losing his livelihood is appropriate prior to a trial for which no charges have yet been made. Palmer has went into hiding.

The illegal killing of Cecil has ignited calls for the end to lion hunting which is legal in Zimbabwe.

Unfortunately, lions can't read the signs that declare the park is a protected area and Cecil simply followed the truck, as he has done so often until he life was ended by a trophy hunter.

That Palmer shot the lion illegally is not a question. Until he tells his story and it can be verified or otherwise corroborated or accepted, no one knows if he was aware the lion was protected.

That Zimbabwe allows lions to be hunted is a question that is just now being asked yet, the events leading to Cecils quasi domestication remain as just a side note. Treated like a large pet rather than left in a protected area safe from all human contact, Cecil was denied natures defensive mechanism and thus easy prey itself.

Note: Approximately 60 or so lions are legally hunted in Africa each year. Cecil was one of these lions but was he more important than the other 59 lions that are killed? That question also remains a side note and there is virtually no interest on the part of Zimbabwe to cease allowing lion hunting.

That is a much better summary.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:31 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
Had anyone had enough of this attention of the lion being killed? Jimmy kimmel crying on national TV over this.. Did he cry over the service men who were murdered a few weeks ago? I just don't get it... what we find important..
Believe it or not, it actually IS possible to be outraged over more than one thing at a time.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:40 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Default Zimbabweans baffled by foreign concern for killed lion

Matter of perspective, not as much world concern for the people's struggles it seems.

Zimbabweans baffled by foreign concern for killed lion - El Paso Times

Quote:
Outside Zimbabwe's environmental and activist circles, however, the reaction been muted.

"It's so cruel, but I don't understand the whole fuss, there are so many pressing issues in Zimbabwe — we have water shortages, no electricity and no jobs — yet people are making noise about a lion?" said Eunice Vhunise, a Harare resident. "I saw Cecil once when I visited the game park. I will probably miss him. But honestly the attention is just too much."

Old 07-30-2015, 11:47 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
As I already posted over 600 lions are hunted. Whether or not the lions are used to human presence is of no relevance here, apart from to reinforce the fact that hunting semi-tame animals is not "sport". The reason the animals are used to humans is because of the large number of tourists that come to see them. To shoot them with cameras and bring in the really big bucks.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:50 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Hmmm, I'm from Zimbabwe, and have many friends and family there are they are outraged about Cecil. I guess the article written by journalists based in the U.S. knows better?

Old 07-31-2015, 12:44 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Here's what I fail to understand about these hunts/hunters; the "professional" guides locate and track an animal, lure it, take the professional pre-kill pictures, the "hunter" takes a pot-shot (in this case a miserably bad one). The guides then track the animal, inflict the kill-shot, skin and behead the animal. Then the hunter goes home and brags about killing a lion? What kind of pathetic, genitally-diminished nimrod would brag about being such a loser?

I am tired of wealthy sociopaths destroying Africa's majestic animals. It long overdue that trophy hunting is banned.

Answered your own question, which I'm sure was sarcastic. A pathetic, genetically-diminished nimrod. There is something wrong with these people. Boorish pathetic people.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:57 AM

1,548 posts, read 913,343 times
Anybody who kills lions is cool in my book.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:44 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Zimbabwe begins extradition procedures. Good bye, Dr. Palmer. ---> Killer of Cecil the lion should be extradited, Zimbabwe says
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events