Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 03:04 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times

Advertisements

So? The university wants to know how its students wish to be known. Why is that important in any way to someone who isn't a student at the university?

No different from offering Mr. Mrs. Miss, Ms., Dr., Rev., Prof., Dean, as choices instead of merely Mr. and Mrs. I can remember when Mr., Mrs., and Miss were the only options. I, as an unmarried woman who no longer considered herself a girl, didn't like any of those choices. I breathed a sigh of relief when Ms. came along. I would imagine people who consider themselves something other than strictly male or female feel a relief at a widening of their choices. I'm all for people being able to self-identify freely. Seems to me this is only bothering people who have the easy choice of "male." Given that it's still usually first on the list, isn't that enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 06:01 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I suggest watching the end of the movie Boys Don't Cry where an ftm trans was actually raped by men when they found out he was really a she. She ultimately was murdered. I would say it is a spoiler but the movie is over 16 years old AND the story was actually a true story.
I usually hate spoilers but I don't see myself racing to watch that movie

Old 07-31-2015, 07:42 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's cute that you think that but no. What's going to happen to this be-any-gender-I-want-today ish is that the next gen is going to look at that and think WTF, nope. And they will double down on the traditional. It's a fact and part of the circle of life. Genderfluid isn't a thing, it's actually called "being confused".
Awwww, you actually think the next generation of people are going to "double down" on "the traditional," that is what is cute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
1. Cool progressive buzzword. It sounds so hip and liberal.
I didn't coin it. Can you think of a better one? Go ahead.
Quote:
2. Why do so many of you look forward to old people or anyone else differing from your POV dying off? That's a rather childish way to deal with any situation.
A childish way? People die. It's part of how civilization moves on from old ideas that are no longer relevant or appropriate.
Quote:
Is this what progressive liberals teach you to say? It's hate speech, plain and simple. Spin it up and out any way you like but the left is full of hate.
I don't care what "progressive liberals" say. It's hilarious that I've been called a "right-winger" and a "young liberal progressive" on this forum, sometimes on the same day.

The "right" is certainly acquainted with hate speech itself, so it would know.

Hey, I'm about to turn 41 and I plan to live to age 70. I know who I am. I know things change, it's happened throughout history and I can see it happening as we speak, and I choose to sometimes embrace it, sometimes not, but at least to understand it rather than knee-jerk rebel against it. Who is to say what the "right" way to do things is? You? Me? Tradition? Or the new humans who have been created to replace us? Society will try on new hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Seems to me this is only bothering people who have the easy choice of "male." Given that it's still usually first on the list, isn't that enough?
You might think so. I can't say why so many get so bent out of shape worrying about what other people are doing.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:33 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,078 times
I see a thread or news story like this and just sit back in a rather detached and bemused way and ponder it for a moment. This is what I ponder:

I can't quite figure why there are those of my fellow humans who so continually preoccupy themselves with the personal choices and directions that other individuals take in their personal lives . . . on matters that don't impact other individuals or the larger society in any real tangible way that is harmful or detrimental. Look, I myself am a white Caucasian male (in my senior years now) and 100% heterosexual (not having any proclivity whatsoever to being gay or bi or transgendered or gender-nonconforming). And yet why the hell should I care that someone else self-identifies as "gay" or "lesbian" or "transgendered male" or or transgendered female" or "gender nonconforming" or whatever else? I wouldn't care if you think of yourself as a "transgendered turnip from the Andromeda galaxy". Why the **** should it matter to me or to you about their personal choices which only impact their own personal lives? I have my own life to live and, as long as each single individual conducts himself or herself in a civilized manner and hence doesn't engage in any behaviors that victimize other individuals or the larger society, I accept them as they are and welcome them as my fellow humans. I respect their personhood and dignity. They were apparently born as they are: not having made choices in the womb as to how they would turn out but rather that the formative factors that turned them into what they are were in the hands of God (by whatever name) or in the hands of the random acts of nature (the random acts of pre-natal biological development). They have to live and cope as best as they can with the biological constitution that they were endowed with. Why is it MY place or YOUR place to make their burden any more burdensome by putting our own two cents into it? It is only for THEM to deal with, not you or I.

In the same way: If you choose, as a way-of-life, to preoccupy yourselves with sports or body piercing or alcohol consumption or gambling or constantly playing video games or a whole list of other things that I have absolutely no interest in and some which I even personally abhor, I don't give a rat's ass if YOU are into those things. Whatever floats your boat. I'm not going to try to get you to give them up and not ever indulge in them. For instance, I was never a drinker nor drugger nor smoker but if you want to pump your body full of alcohol until it poisons you and stews your brain, that is your prerogative. I can give you a host of arguments about why to not do it but it is your life to live and your body to do with as you deem fit. I will make it my business if, in the course of being a drinker or drugger, you make a public nuisance or danger of yourself or if you get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. Then it is my business and society's business. Otherwise, do as you deem fit. And so, in the same vein, I don't care if two women or two men are walking together holding hands or necking or if a passing male is of effeminate manner or if someone is inclined to cross-dress or whatever else. It has nothing whatsoever to do with my own life or anyone else's life. I accept the reality that there is diversity in life and let all otherwise-civilized persons be themselves. On the other hand, if either they (or I) engage in uncivilized (i.e., criminal or victimizing) behaviors, then they or I should be taken down for it (e.g., being rapists or molestors of children or teens or adults, being robbers or burglars, being bullies with others).

Is it really, really, really that complex for some of the rather insistent posters in this thread to understand? I myself can be rather conservative or libertarian in outlook on variious issues and, in other areas, am moderate or even liberal. I don't go through life thinking it is my place or prerogative to micro-manage other people's lives or choices. I don't care if non-heterosexuality is, in fact, innate (genetic or biological or developmental) or, instead, if it is purely a cognitive or psychological choice that an individual makes for himself/herself. Even if it turns out to be that it was a cognitive or psychological "choice" in everyone's case rather than being biologically innate, it is a "choice" that they have an innate right to make (even if I would never, ever do the same). I don't own their soul or being and neither do you. My duty as a human being is to accept and live with my fellow human beings of otherwise wholesome and good character and intent. Anything other than that puts me (and you) on the wrong side of morality. I don't own you and you don't own me. Is that clear?

As a 100% heterosexual, I say this: "To all my non-heterosexual fellow humans: Be yourselves and live your lives fruitfully and fulfillingly and I wish you the very best (if you are otherwise of sound moral character and sound moral behavioiral choices in regards to all your fellow humans)."

Last edited by UsAll; 07-31-2015 at 09:57 AM..

Old 07-31-2015, 01:56 PM

16,575 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
1. Cool progressive buzzword. It sounds so hip and liberal.

2. Why do so many of you look forward to old people or anyone else differing from your POV dying off? That's a rather childish way to deal with any situation. Il Kim 1 and Il Kim 2 think in much the same manner. They were/are totalitarian despots.

Is this what progressive liberals teach you to say? It's hate speech, plain and simple. Spin it up and out any way you like but the left is full of hate. What and why do they hate? Good question. Young liberals are taught by older progressives they will be held back by those older so they should dislike them to the point of wishing them dead. It is only then they can assume the places they coveted so. The problem is there is fresh group of youngsters behind you wishing you death. It's a vicious cycle. I can say we didn't have such thoughts when i was young. Who had the money? Our parents; why wish death upon them?

Happy Days and That 70s Show make more sense than the Millennial Show.
Well said, and I feel the same way.

Many of these young liberal apparatchiks are raised with self loathing, at least when it comes to their own race if they are white. Yet they focus their vile hatred toward the older generations as if it is perfectly fine to, by looking forward to older generations deaths. Unlike the Oriental cultures who revere their parents/grandparents, these little brainwashed losers hope the older generations get to dying quickly.
They seem to forget that many things they enjoy in life were/are created and provided for by this older generation. Hopefully their family members will cut them out of their wills so they have to fend for themselves.
They also do not hear their PC alarm bells go off when they utter these comments about death toward older people. Yet they would demand scalps if they heard someone say even 1/10 as bad a thing directed toward minorities.
The brainwashing in school, entertainment industry and social media has sunk in deep with these koolaid drinkers.

The sad thing is that when it all goes wrong in the future, they will lament about how things use to be, and wonder why society devolved.
Yet they will be too stupid or emasculated to do anything about it.

`

Old 07-31-2015, 02:02 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
Yah, maybe the older generations should just live forever. Wouldn't that be a trick. I'm about 41 by the way.

People die. Perceptions change. Old ideas die off, replaced by new ones. Civilization moves on.

What exactly are you so upset about now? Let people be people. Live your own life. Stop trying to control everything. You'll be a lot happier.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:56 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Yah, maybe the older generations should just live forever. Wouldn't that be a trick. I'm about 41 by the way.

People die. Perceptions change. Old ideas die off, replaced by new ones. Civilization moves on.

What exactly are you so upset about now? Let people be people. Live your own life. Stop trying to control everything. You'll be a lot happier.

(As to the boldfaced comment of yours from your quote above): Perhaps not (as to you saying "you'll be a lot happier"). There are, in fact, any number of persons amongst our fellow humans who seem to not be content with life unless they can serve as utter control freaks over other people's lives. That is actually what makes them happy (not "live and let live"). It literally demoralizes them when they feel they have lost control or when others fight back and put them in their place. I speak from enough experience . . . coming from a family of control freaks (mostly dead now but a few still alive). It is what they live for (i.e., they build their sense of well-being on being the top gun who always aims to call the shots over others' lives).

By the way, I'm "older generation" myself (being in my 60s now per this writing) and can be "conservative" myself in various areas of concern or interest. But by-and-large, my outlook is more libertarian (true libertarian) when it comes to concerns such as what this thread addresses. If those in this thread who claim to be and think of yourselves as "conservative" are "conservative" in the true sense of the term (i.e., a classic conservative), then you must believe in minimal government intervention in personal human affairs and choices . . . unless it involves, health, safety, security, et al. Therefore, be true conservatives and stay the hell out of other peoples' personal choices and business. Got it? Unless you want all the rest of us to put our nose into your own personal business and micro-manage and call the shots over your own personal day-to-day lives.

So, as to the subject of this thread: If someone deems that he or she was meant to be oriented toward their own gender instead of the opposite gender (however we personally feel about it for our own lives), it is their place and their place alone to make that determination for themselves. Neither you nor I have any place putting our two cents into it. Such non-heterosexual persons shouldn't need to seek our approval . . . nor our disapproval. It is simply none of our business. What part of this don't you understand or appreciate? Do you want me to micro-manage and own you? No? Then don't take liberties with the rest of us that are not yours to take or you can expect there to be serious blowback sooner or later. Is that comprehensible enough to you or do you need pictures to be drawn for you to aid in your understanding?

As I said in my prior posting to this thread, note I myself am a 100% heterosexual male and hence am not here promoting a so-called "gay agenda" (whatever that means). I am promoting a libertarian (or perhaps better stated as a civil libertarian) outlook. You personally can hold whatever personal views and tastes best suit you (as can I) but don't confuse "taste" with "moral right and wrong". Just because something is "distasteful" to you (or I) as to our own personal lives doesn't necessarily mean that it is morally wrong for others' lives. I myself have no inclination whatsoever to anything other than 100% heterosexuality. But I don't therefore tell others that only being a mirror image of me is the right way to live their respective lives. As to the matter that this thread deals with, there are, in fact, multiple ways to live morally right and upstanding lives. Again, being "non-heterosexual" is not my own personal taste or makeup but that doesn't make it morally "wrong"; it just makes it merely "different" from my own inclination.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:02 PM

613 posts, read 463,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
(As to the boldfaced comment of yours from your quote above): Perhaps not (as to you saying "you'll be a lot happier"). There are, in fact, any number of persons amongst our fellow humans who seem to not be content with life unless they can serve as utter control freaks over other people's lives. That is actually what makes them happy (not "live and let live"). It literally demoralizes them when they feel they have lost control or when others fight back and put them in their place. I speak from enough experience . . . coming from a family of control freaks (mostly dead now but a few still alive). It is what they live for (i.e., they build their sense of well-being on being the top gun who always aims to call the shots over others' lives).

By the way, I'm "older generation" myself (being in my 60s now per this writing) and can be "conservative" myself in various areas of concern or interest. But by-and-large, my outlook is more libertarian (true libertarian) when it comes to concerns such as what this thread addresses. If those in this thread who claim to be and think of yourselves as "conservative" are "conservative" in the true sense of the term (i.e., a classic conservative), then you must believe in minimal government intervention in personal human affairs and choices . . . unless it involves, health, safety, security, et al. Therefore, be true conservatives and stay the hell out of other peoples' personal choices and business. Got it? Unless you want all the rest of us to put our nose into your own personal business and micro-manage and call the shots over your own personal day-to-day lives.

So, as to the subject of this thread: If someone deems that he or she was meant to be oriented toward their own gender instead of the opposite gender (however we personally feel about it for our own lives), it is their place and their place alone to make that determination for themselves. Neither you nor I have any place putting our two cents into it. Such non-heterosexual persons shouldn't need to seek our approval . . . nor our disapproval. It is simply none of our business. What part of this don't you understand or appreciate? Do you want me to micro-manage and own you? No? Then don't take liberties with the rest of us that are not yours to take or you can expect there to be serious blowback sooner or later. Is that comprehensible enough to you or do you need pictures to be drawn for you to aid in your understanding?

As I said in my prior posting to this thread, note I myself am a 100% heterosexual male and hence am not here promoting a so-called "gay agenda" (whatever that means). I am promoting a libertarian (or perhaps better stated as a civil libertarian) outlook. You personally can hold whatever personal views and tastes best suit you (as can I) but don't confuse "taste" with "moral right and wrong". Just because something is "distasteful" to you (or I) as to our own personal lives doesn't necessarily mean that it is morally wrong for others' lives. I myself have no inclination whatsoever to anything other than 100% heterosexuality. But I don't therefore tell others that only being a mirror image of me is the right way to live their respective lives. As to the matter that this thread deals with, there are, in fact, multiple ways to live morally right and upstanding lives. Again, being "non-heterosexual" is not my own personal taste or makeup but that doesn't make it morally "wrong"; it just makes it merely "different" from my own inclination.
Brilliant post

Old 08-01-2015, 02:21 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Do you honestly believe the FF's intended for unelected jurists to usurp the legislature and create laws which were never in the Constitution?
I don't think the founding fathers wanted the Supreme Court to make laws, but there are no laws in the Constitution - it's a rulebook for making laws.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:20 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Default Former males on womens' athletic teams...

How would you like to compete against this dude?

Trans Powerlifter Can't Decide Whether to Compete as Man or Woman | National Review Online

(Yes, serious, if you're a "cis-female," that is, female since birth, competitive powerlifter.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events