Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 10:18 AM

8,960 posts, read 11,838,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
Nice to see the pendulum swinging the other way, from cheering on the most egregious 90's COPS episodes to what we have here today. Now if the cops get the hint that they are not starring in their own personal episode of COPS...
Yeah.

It must be frustrating for lying police shills these days.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:26 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,492,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Officer Tensing fatally shot DuBose, 43, during a July 19 traffic stop over an alleged missing license tag. The officer has said he was forced to fire his weapon after almost being run over. Tensing, 25, surrendered to authorities shortly after news of the indictment broke, and he is expected to be arraigned on Thursday. He has been fired from his job.

Tensing's attorney told reporters that he believes the officer feared for his life and was dragged by DuBose's car. "The guy jams the keys in the ignition," Stew Mathews told CNN. "Turns the car on, jams it in the drive and mashes the accelerator. He wasn't slowly pulling away. (Tensing) feared for his life. He thought he was going to be sucked under the car that was pulling away from him. He thought he was going to get sucked under and killed."

That account was contradicted by Deters, the prosecutor, who said that Tensing was not dragged.
"This just does not happen in the United States. People don't get shot for a traffic stop unless they are violent towards the police officer, and he (DuBose) wasn't," Deters said. "He was simply slowly rolling away. That's all he did."

University cop indicted in traffic stop shooting - CNN.com

So, any thoughts on this? Do any of you think the shooting was justified, if so please explain.
It doesn't SOUND like it was justified. Never does. Though the truth is always hard to discern in these cases, even for jurors (if it comes to that), so one never knows.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:41 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,680,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This makes no sense at all. Dead is dead. Three police officers (at least one African American) were involved directly in her killing. She WAS thrown on the ground, restrained, etc. by the way.

And you call KILLING HER "cutting her some slack?" Wow, that's some kind of "special white girl treatment."

One of the cops is a woman by the way, an AA woman.

If she was restrained, how was she able to come after the cops with a knife?

Video was hard for me to see, so I didn't know race or sex of the cops.

I think you misunderstood my post. Of course I don't think killing her was cutting her slack. Even if my post was poorly worded (apparently) who would even think such a thing??? She was being 'cut slack' by not being handcuffed or put into a cell.

She was not restrained. Yes, if I remember correctly, she was down on the floor for a moment, but then let back up. Why? She certainly seemed hostile to me, but as I said the video was hard for me to see.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:46 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,680,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

What I saw from the video was a ticket for no front license plate, a citation for open-container, a citation for not physically having a driver's license, a citation for operating a vehicle with a suspended license, a citation for FRA, and a possible DWI, and then once the DWI was established, that's a felony which allows me to search the vehicle for drugs or contraband.
So, where's that tox report?

Yesterday you stated the driver was drunk.

Proof?

Old 08-01-2015, 10:49 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,265,192 times
Quote:
In Ohio you are required to have your driver's license on you.

In fact, you are required to have a valid form of ID at all time, even when walking.

The seal was broken, therefore in the State of Ohio it was open.

Not relevant.

The officer was perhaps working up to that.

I have 134 DWI arrests with 131 convictions for DWI and I never told drivers they were going to get a sobriety test until after I had given them one.

The video shows the officer opening the door, while the suspect grabs the door and closes it.

That is not what the video shows.

The video shows the car moving forward while the officer shouts, "STOP! STOP!" before drawing his weapon and firing.

My license isn't suspended and I have FRA, and I would turn off the ignition and leave it off until the officer told me I could go.

So, no, I wouldn't be shot by a police officer.

Ohio has an "open container" law that prohibits any container of alcoholic beverage from being open in any vehicle.

It's not up to you to question the officer's Modus Operandi.

Different officers take different approaches to traffic stops and its not up to you to question or judge how they proceed, so long as they proceed within the letter of the law.

The officer didn't ask about FRA, either.

You don't know that, and in fact there was evidence, including slurred speech and poor physical reactions.

I got most of my 135 DWI arrests and nearly all of my drug arrests on cheesy things like no front license plate, headlight out, tail-light out, no turn signal, no seat belt, expired license plate and such.

What I saw from the video was a ticket for no front license plate, a citation for open-container, a citation for not physically having a driver's license, a citation for operating a vehicle with a suspended license, a citation for FRA, and a possible DWI, and then once the DWI was established, that's a felony which allows me to search the vehicle for drugs or contraband.
Where was the slurred speech, where was the officer ever asking "sir, have you had anything to drink today"?

If you look at the stabilized video that I posted, the car was NOT moving, his hands were UP in the air when he was shot in the face.

Your reasoning has more holes than swiss cheese.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:00 AM

42,885 posts, read 26,482,083 times
Quote:
and a possible DWI, and then once the DWI was established, that's a felony which allows me to search the vehicle for drugs or contraband.
Is DUI a felony in Ohio? Really...
Quote:
I never told drivers they were going to get a sobriety test until after I had given them one...
The Officer could legally have had Dubose exit the car at any point rather than arguing with him for two minutes about whether he had his driver's license in his possession. He was near enough to him that he should have smelled alcohol on him if he was DUI, but instead he just stands there waving his hands for two minutes asking him about his license and allowing him to open his glove box. So, when exactly would you have asked him to exit the car? By the way, for all the questioning about the driver's license - I never heard Tensing even ask him his name which strikes me as odd.
Quote:
a citation for open-container
By the way, gin is not yellow; I even looked at Google images of the same brand "Barton" it's clear, so it could have been some other form of alcohol or even urine - but without the Officer at least opening it and smelling it there was no PC for an arrest for open container.
Quote:
The video shows the car moving forward while the officer shouts, "STOP! STOP!" before drawing his weapon and firing.
wrong Dubose apparently started the ignition, but the car does not move until he is shot, look at the incident in slow motion. The Officer opens the car door, Dubose pulls it closed, at the same time Dubose turns the ignition on but the car is not moving while Dubose's hand is on the ignition, Tensing reaches inside the car, grabs the driver's shoulder belt with his left hand and in his right hand you can see his weapon being held slightly above and to the right of the subject's head. The car is not moving until the shot is fired at which time Tensing is apparently thrown back from the recoil of the weapon. to see it more clearly, click on the gear icon and change speed to .25)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKqKugc3ZVM

I can't see any way that this can be described as a justifiable homicide. My guess is the cop with plead to manslaughter rather than face a jury over this.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:01 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,637,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What do you know about the situation with the 17 year old girl? Have you watched the video of her shooting? If not, watch it and then get back with me and tell me if you still think her shooting was justified. Watch the whole 20 minutes of it and get back with me.
Share this URL body#bitly_copy {height: 25px; } body#bitly_copy a {font: 12px/23px"Arial"; color: #333; background: #fff; } body#bitly_copy .link {background: none; padding-left: 10px; } body#bitly_copy .copy-btn{width: 58px;height:23px;background:url("http://multimedia.nydailynews.com/css/article/icon/bitly.gif") 0 0 no-repeat;text-indent:-99999px;} body#bitly_copy:hover{cursor: pointer; } body#bitly_copy:hover .copy-btn{filter: alpha(opacity=80); opacity: .8;} body#bitly_copy #box{height: 23px;}

Kristiana Coignard via facebookKristiana Coignard, 17, was fatally shot by police inside of a Longview police station Thursday after allegedly brandishing a knife at officers.

What are you talking about the 17 year old White Caucasian European Girl was trying to kill
three LEO with a BUTCHER KNIFE. The Male African American LEO tried to TASER her and it just
didn't WORK. The White Male LEO was CHARGED by the innocent 17 Years Old Girl at which
time HE SHOT HER , the FEMALE African American LEO Also shot her " because she was trying to KILL the white male LEO" if she would not have done that maybe her co-worker would be taking a DIRT NAP as we communicate.

Last edited by Howest2008; 08-01-2015 at 11:35 AM..

Old 08-01-2015, 11:11 AM

28,714 posts, read 18,925,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post

Pay attention to the position of the camera relative to the roof of the car and then how much lower it is when the shot was fired, also note the location of the parked car and the pothole and how much closer the officer is to it when he gets up.

I have already seen this video dozens of times on TV, not rocket science to figure out.
You may not understand how super-wide-angle lenses, such as the officer was wearing--work to exaggerate the appearance of distance. A quite small change in real distance will appear like a much greater change through a super-wide-angle lens.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:12 AM

7,581 posts, read 5,354,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Actually you are incorrect
No I was very much correct! The fact that campus cops may be sworn officer with all the arrest powers of other police, they are in my opinion, not "Real Police." Real Police, deal with real crime, real thughlums, in short Real Police Work.

Quote:
AND they did nothing criminal....
The last I checked (five minutes ago) giving a false statement in Ohio is a crime. which is why they are sooo if they are going to recant they're initial statements before the grand jury, it isn't because they had some change of heart.

Quote:
if there was purposeful tampering with the scene he would have charged them in a second
I don't believe that the individual was purposefully tampering with evidence, but just went to further demonstrate the UC police should leave police work to Real Police and instead of conducting traffic stops off campus should be doing something more suiting to their position; helping old professors across the street and checking ID's a the Sigma Chi frat party.

Quote:
A District Attorney is a politician... elected.. they are not beholden to law enforcement... they want to be reelected.
Seriously?!?

Quote:
It appears from your point of view and posts that police always lie and are always wrong
You are grossly in error
Once again you absolutely incorrect. For every cop that I know who shouldn't be allowed to carry a flashlight I know 10 from the FBI to numerous local departments who are Real Police, and who surprisingly have a far more liberal understanding of what goes on in the inner city than 99% of the law and order police can do no wrong crowd here on C-D.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:27 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,637,502 times
Quote:
In Ohio you are required to have your driver's license on you.

In fact, you are required to have a valid form of ID at all time, even when walking.

howest2008.....or get shot in the head by a campus LEO.....

The seal was broken, therefore in the State of Ohio it was open.

howest2008.......and the moon is made of blue cheese

Not relevant.

howest2008.......REVEVANT

The officer was perhaps working up to that.

I have 134 DWI arrests with 131 convictions for DWI and I never told drivers they were going to get a sobriety test until after I had given them one.

howest2008...that a nice trick how do you get them to take the test without telling them?????

The video shows the officer opening the door, while the suspect grabs the door and closes it.

howest2008....try telling the driver to get out of his car for a change

That is not what the video shows.

howest2008.....A innocent LEO

howest2008.....NO even preschool children know that isn't true , you can fool the fools but both you and I know the TRUTH....

My license isn't suspended and I have FRA, and I would turn off the ignition and leave it off until the officer told me I could go.

So, no, I wouldn't be shot by a police officer.

howest2008....his license wasn't suspended either and he didn't give A FALSE NAME , toooooooo
bad he ran into a BAD COP!!!!!

Ohio has an "open container" law that prohibits any container of alcoholic beverage from being open in any vehicle.

howest2008....big woof

It's not up to you to question the officer's Modus Operandi.

Different officers take different approaches to traffic stops and its not up to you to question or judge how they proceed, so long as they proceed within the letter of the law.

The officer didn't ask about FRA, either.

howest2008....Yes we do LEO serve the public , the public doesn't serve the LEO

You don't know that, and in fact there was evidence, including slurred speech and poor physical reactions.

howest2008.....not true

I got most of my 135 DWI arrests and nearly all of my drug arrests on cheesy things like no front license plate, headlight out, tail-light out, no turn signal, no seat belt, expired license plate and such.

howest2008.....But you wasn't A MORON and shot some guy in the head were you ?????

howest2008....You Lose all you got is a CITATION for not having his LICENSE ON HIS PERSON which means that he has to go to COURT AND STAND BEFORE A ((( JUDGE )))) MIND YOU NOT A (((LEO))) AND SHOW HIS LICENSE AND GET (((OFF)))) FREE AS A BIRD.

OH...TEN OHIO WHERE THEY MAKE THE BEST OF MEN........lollllll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events