Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 02:01 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,265,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Then let go.
But then you couldn't play Billy Bad Ass, get to fire your gun, or shoot a bad guy! You would have to go back to your cruiser and radio that the suspect, of whom you have all their info, has gotten away in make and model of X color vehicle and resort to things that make sense.

Where's the fun in that?

Old 07-31-2015, 02:04 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,990,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Given that we no longer live in the Prohibition Era, it is perfectly legal to have a bottle of alcohol in your car, as long as it is not open and you aren't drinking it. While the officer was fishing for a reason to arrest him, he noticed the bottle in the car. The bottle was not open. At no time during the video did the officer ever mention that he smelled alcohol on the driver. The officer went on to confiscate the bottle. Drinking alcohol is legal in this country. The driver wasn't drinking from the bottle. The bottle wasn't even open. The officer had no right to take it.

I am not much of a drinker. However, the other day while shopping at Trader Joe's, I decided that I wanted to have some brie and crackers with some fruit and chilled white wine. So if I had gotten pulled over by the police on my way home and they found the wine in my car, is it
fair assume that I'm drunk driving then shoot me in the head?

There have been many times when I have changed my purse or wallet and forgotten my license at home. There have also been days where I have run short errands and didn't feel like carrying a purse so I put my license in my pocket, only to realize when I'm driving to work the next day with my purse, that I left my license in my jeans pocket. Is this ground for being shot in the head?

While it is always the ideal practice to keep your license, insurance and a registration with you, the police can run your plate to see if your insurance and registration is current. They can also look you up to see if your license is current. Sam Dubose asked officer Tensing two or three times to run his information, which he refused to. Then Tensing assumed he was driving on a suspended license and started accusing him of that. Tensing was trying to create a situation to be able to shoot and kill Sam Dubose and killed him anyway.
You started out with a preconception about something you don't know nor have any evidence to support. You don't know if the cop was looking for a reason to arrest him.

In case you are completely unaware, if you are driving a car and are stopped and the cop sees a bottle of liquor in the car, not in some shopping bag but where the driver is, they can and should investigate further. That is what everyone demands, ask all those in favor of the DUI laws.

At least have some common sense. People scream when some kid gets run over by a DUI driver but now you don't want the cops to even look further when they find liquor in the car next to the driver? Get serious.

Do you drive with that chilled bottle of wine between your legs, by your legs or anything like that? I think you're just posting nonsense for no other reason than to do it.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:09 PM

51,185 posts, read 24,645,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

In case you are completely unaware, if you are driving a car and are stopped and the cop sees a bottle of liquor in the car, not in some shopping bag but where the driver is, they can and should investigate further. That is what everyone demands, ask all those in favor of the DUI laws.

At least have some common sense. ...
Yes, investigate. But I don't notice many sane people demanding the officer pump a bullet into the guy's head.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:12 PM

42,885 posts, read 26,490,125 times
Police Union files grievance to reinstate Officer Tensing:
Police union files grievance for Tensing to get job back - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Old 07-31-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
In case you are completely unaware, if you are driving a car and are stopped and the cop sees a bottle of liquor in the car, not in some shopping bag but where the driver is, they can and should investigate further.
It appears that the Officer had completed his investigation of the bottle of liquor quite a while before he shot the guy in the head. Do you disagree with that?

Old 07-31-2015, 02:18 PM

51,185 posts, read 24,645,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Gee, what are the conservs gonna do now. They love gun blazing cops, but hate the unions. Jeepers!

Old 07-31-2015, 02:19 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,265,673 times
Pretty graphic, but here is a stabilized video of the incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKqK...ature=youtu.be

Driver had his hands up as soon as he saw the gun. Car didn't start moving until after the fatal shot.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Gee, what are the conservs gonna do now. They love gun blazing cops, but hate the unions. Jeepers!
I know huh?

Old 07-31-2015, 02:26 PM

22,150 posts, read 13,206,583 times
Where's the sound on that video? The shot is HEARD after he's on the ground and car has taken off. But that would mess up the storyline!

Old 07-31-2015, 02:29 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,237,625 times
Quote:
You started out with a preconception about something you don't know nor have any evidence to support. You don't know if the cop was looking for a reason to arrest him.

At least have some common sense. People scream when some kid gets run over by a DUI driver but now you don't want the cops to even look further when they find liquor in the car next to the driver? Get serious.

Do you drive with that chilled bottle of wine between your legs, by your legs or anything like that? I think you're just posting nonsense for no other reason than to do it.
Please cite the law that it is illegal to have a closed bottle of alcohol in your car unless it is in a shopping bag or in the trunk. You are speculating that he was drinking or about to drink. Do
you really think the officer wouldn't have taken the bottle from him if it was in a bag?

If Sam Dubose was drinking in the car, wouldn't the officer be able to smell it on him? Gin has a VERY strong smell. Again, no mention of a smell of alcohol in the video. Why didn't he request a breathalyzer test if he suspected he was drunk driving? Instead he accused him of driving on a suspended license not DUI.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 07-31-2015 at 02:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events