Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 07:54 AM

396 posts, read 512,830 times

Advertisements

While I sympathize with her, we cannot legislate ill-advised behavior out of existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 07:56 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
This trumps common sense gun control to a whole new level of stupid.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:56 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
That’s right, she isn’t blaming her son, or circumstance for the 4th of July death. She is blaming the fireworks and the lack of even more laws regulating them.

Devon Staples, 22, was – by all accounts – drinking with his friends when he accidentally blew himsefl up with a mortar tube. But apparently his mother is not blaming the alcohol.

Mom Demands ‘Tougher Fireworks Laws’ After Son Lights Them Off Head and Dies

I am sorry this woman lost her son. I blame it on his age and alcohol.
I'm sorry that she lost her son, not sorry that he is a dumb a_$$. He did something stupid and paid the ultimate price.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
So she wants training in order to buy fireworks. Yes, fireworks are definitely the most harmful thing a person can buy. I demand training for poison and knives too.
I demand tougher legislation controlling the use of ladders. And chain saws. And walking up and down stairs. And getting in and out of bathtubs. We need to begin paying a special "danger tax" on such activities.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:59 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
It is sad that this guy did something stupid and died leaving behind a grieving mom. How many moms have to bear the aftermath of their kids killing themselves drinking and driving yet we do not ban booze or cars.

I think if the liberal PC crowd who would enact the anti stupid laws to "protect us" had their way we would all be barred from leaving our homes forced to sit on our mandated extra cushy couches and wait for the drone to bring us supplies.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:01 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
That’s right, she isn’t blaming her son, or circumstance for the 4th of July death. She is blaming the fireworks and the lack of even more laws regulating them.

Devon Staples, 22, was – by all accounts – drinking with his friends when he accidentally blew himsefl up with a mortar tube. But apparently his mother is not blaming the alcohol.

Mom Demands ‘Tougher Fireworks Laws’ After Son Lights Them Off Head and Dies

I am sorry this woman lost her son. I blame it on his age and alcohol.
She should probably fight for an intelligence test being required before purchasing fireworks.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:03 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
There was no official information as to what exactly happened, but I don't think it was the blow back that killed him. I think it was put in backwards. If it was put in correctly, it would have launched and he likely would have been fine. I think it was put in in reverse then exploded at the base which was on his head.

That would have definitely killed him and it sounds like that is what happened based on reports.
I read an article that quoted the friend that was standing five feet away, that said it was an explosion, and that his friend immediately fell to the ground, and when he ran to him, his friend wasn't there anymore, that it was too late. So it obviously blew most of the top of his head off.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:38 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Drinking alcohol + putting fireworks where they're not supposed to go + 22 years old = the son is responsible. It's not the mom's fault (22 is a legal adult), it's not the alcohol's fault (he should have chosen not to drink and play with fireworks), and it's certainly not the fireworks company or law's fault. It's a tragedy that this young man died.

I agree entirely.

It's always a tragedy when someone dies, and people will often do stupid things. The introduction of alcohol is never good, and this tragedy shouldn't prompt more legislation that will impact responsible adults.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:39 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It sounds more like we need an IQ test threshold for breeding.
Took the words right from my finger tips...

Old 07-31-2015, 08:44 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Took the words right from my finger tips...
Don't worry, Trump will probably bring this up at some point! (I'd fully support it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events