Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 05:03 PM

600 posts, read 824,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
No amount of education will fix stupid.

You get a pretty good recoil on something as small as a 22 caliber. You get a hefty jolt with a 38 or 45. If you are not careful, a shotgun will bruise the hell out of your shoulder.

Now, take a mortar (even a relatively small fireworks one) that is probably 2-3 inches AND put it on your head and fire it. The concussion will probably turn your brain to jello, assuming it doesn't misfire/explode and blow your head off.

Like I said, you can't fix stupid.
There was no official information as to what exactly happened, but I don't think it was the blow back that killed him. I think it was put in backwards. If it was put in correctly, it would have launched and he likely would have been fine. I think it was put in in reverse then exploded at the base which was on his head.

That would have definitely killed him and it sounds like that is what happened based on reports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 05:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Gross, but fascinating...sounds like something out of "Forensic Files".
Nope, it sounds like something off "1000 ways to die" tv show.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:04 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
No amount of education will fix stupid.

You get a pretty good recoil on something as small as a 22 caliber. You get a hefty jolt with a 38 or 45. If you are not careful, a shotgun will bruise the hell out of your shoulder.

Now, take a mortar (even a relatively small fireworks one) that is probably 2-3 inches AND put it on your head and fire it. The concussion will probably turn your brain to jello, assuming it doesn't misfire/explode and blow your head off.

Like I said, you can't fix stupid.
Or perhaps teach more history.......because now that you mention it, it does remind me of the "Japanese knee mortar".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_8...ade_discharger

Old 07-30-2015, 09:19 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
She is blaming the fireworks and the lack of even more laws regulating them.

But apparently his mother is not blaming the alcohol.
And this is the fallacy in her thinking, her son did not have a fireworks problem, he had a drinking problem.

His death made page 30 of the Quoddy Tides a story about mutilated snapping turtles was on page 1.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:35 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Fireworks were a lot more controversial when I was a kid --- nearly fifty years ago. Within 50 yards of the house where I'm writing this, back in the summer of 1966, a kid not yet into his teens put an "M-80" firecracker into a can. The blast partially tore the can apart, and a piece of it lodged in his jugular vein; he died in minutes.

I honestly don't know whether the laws regulating the sales of fireworks have been reformed in such a way that what is sold over the counter today is safer than the device figuring in that tragedy from a long time back, but I'd like to know, and I'd want the details included. In fairness, I can't recall any other local incident of anywhere near as serious consequences since that time.

And my feeling remains; "If the latter-day Puritans and the security-obsessed collude with some grandstanding politician to write further legislation in the name of supposed safety and 'common good' -- some fool, somewhere will find a way around the law". it's just the foibles of the human condition at work.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-31-2015 at 12:17 AM..

Old 07-31-2015, 01:54 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00
I am sorry this woman lost her son. I blame it on his age and alcohol.
Yes I also hate to say this but HER SON WAS A BLASTED MORON!!!!!!!

You dont see anyone else who didnt GET DRUNK doing stuff like this right?

Old 07-31-2015, 03:15 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It sounds more like we need an IQ test threshold for breeding.
Absolutely, since the society at large ultimately gets burdened with problem kids (either through protective services or crimes committed by naughty kids etc), it should have a say in who gets to breed. Unless of course society get out of all child protection and like services. Then individuals can have the freedom to breed as they like.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:25 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
They wont ban fireworks.... I dont particuarly lke the things at all as they can be so dangerous, Even in the hands of the professionals.. when I worked at the Glasgow Garden Festival in the late 80s the man doing the fireworks display blew his leg off on the last night of the festival.. so it can happen to anyone... this boy was very foolish and his mother is in such a state shes blaming the fireworks..

Old 07-31-2015, 03:59 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,367,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
There was no official information as to what exactly happened, but I don't think it was the blow back that killed him. I think it was put in backwards. If it was put in correctly, it would have launched and he likely would have been fine. I think it was put in in reverse then exploded at the base which was on his head.

That would have definitely killed him and it sounds like that is what happened based on reports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Or perhaps teach more history.......because now that you mention it, it does remind me of the "Japanese knee mortar".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_8...ade_discharger

There are a number of possibilities. The "Japanese knee mortar" is a good example of a light weight, hand held mortar with a "foot" that is shown placed on the ground or solid surface. Its not put on the knee or head. The recoil of a true battle weapon is most likely stronger than a fireworks shell due the weight of the projectile.

Recreational fire works mortars are cardboard tubes supplied with some number of shells. The shells are dropped into the tube, the fuse hangs out the top of the tube and is lit. The shell has two explosives. A launch explosive and a display explosive. The launch explosive should be inserted first as it will propel the display explosive to altitude. The display explosive also acts as a combination shell and wadding that provides back pressure for the launch explosive giving it the compression needed to propel the display to altitude.

If the shell were put in backwards, its not going launch. The launch explosive is only partially contained since the upper end of the mortar tube is open. The launch explosive would produce some recoil but the recoil would be considerably softened as the gases from the explosives would mostly exhaust from the end of the tube in a sheet of flame.

The launch explosive also lights a delay fuse. A fuse that burns for approximately 3 to 6 seconds. This allows the display explosive to reach altitude.

The display explosive is probably 10 times larger than the launch explosive. The display explosive powers are treated to produce color and packed/arranged to provide and one of a number of visual effects. Just hearing the display explode from a distance gives you an idea of the force these explosions can have.

Its certainly possible this shell was put in backwards. Its also possible the shell was defective, the delay fuse detonated with no delay. Either way, the end result is the same if the display charge went off inside the tube.

I concede this is the most probably cause of death. The recoil of the launch charge could have "turned his brain to jello" as I stated but more than likely, the display charge took off part of his head.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:35 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Drinking alcohol + putting fireworks where they're not supposed to go + 22 years old = the son is responsible. It's not the mom's fault (22 is a legal adult), it's not the alcohol's fault (he should have chosen not to drink and play with fireworks), and it's certainly not the fireworks company or law's fault. It's a tragedy that this young man died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events