Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 01:48 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times

Advertisements

I used to work for a marketing firm. A VERY big, well-known investment company requested we not market their company to certain racial demographics. Didn't matter that their incomes and every other factor was the same, if they were minorities, they didn't want to market to them. My boss and owner of the company I worked for refused and went so far as to say we would not be doing business with them any longer. And at the time, we really needed that account. Needless to say, the investment company folks were none to happy and made all kinds of threats. But they were actually dumb enough to put their racist request in writing. When my boss pointed out how "unfortunate" it would be for that correspondence to become public, they shut up pretty quick and we never heard from them again.

At the time, we were a fairly new, struggling company, but that doesn't mean you don't still do the right thing. This was 20 years ago. The company I used to work for has become wildly successful and is still privately owned by the same person (we've remained good friends). The investment company went belly up about 10 years ago. I like to think it's karma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 01:53 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,222,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Oh no he is banned from Lowe's, how will he ever go on with his life?
How about reading the article?

Old 08-10-2015, 01:58 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,596,157 times
If true this is very sad.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:00 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,519,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
If true this is very sad.
What if it isn't true. Is it sad then or is it something else?

Old 08-10-2015, 02:04 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
If I were black, I'd have been glad not to have to deliver something to some racist butch's house.
No you wouldn't. You are there to do your job. As a good employee you should be able to just do it without any pretenses. Having to sit out because of crap like that and that person getting what they want would bother a good employee. And I'm not suggesting they send him into a bad situation. Lowe's doesn't have time to worry about what drivers are available to do what for who and when. Maybe they accommodate that person one time, but warn them in the future. But declining to do business with them is the best way to handle it.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:08 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,519,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
No you wouldn't. You are there to do your job. As a good employee you should be able to just do it without any pretenses. Having to sit out because of crap like that and that person getting what they want would bother a good employee.
Then blame the source. That isn't what is going on here, it is money. A good employee would see where the problem started, not where it ended and then seek recourse there. IF they were a good employee.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:11 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,596,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
What if it isn't true. Is it sad then or is it something else?
If the story is false, then it's not sad. Duh!

Old 08-10-2015, 02:12 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Consider the location: Danville, Virginia. The "Last Capital Of The Confederacy", where Jefferson Davis and his cabinet fled from Richmond.

Overall, Virginia has progressed fairly impressively, but old habits die hard.
Really, if that woman does not want to do business with businesses that have black employees that would serve her, she needs to move the hell out of Virginia. Most notable big towns in Virginia west of I-95 like Harrisonburg, Danville, Farmville, Martinsville, and Bristol have pretty decent size black populations so there isn't a way to guarantee that she wont ever have a black employee servicing her. I think Eastern KY would be more speed.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:28 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't care what race someone is when they're delivering something to my house or doing a repair, but I do have three conditions.

1.) Everyone needs to have passed a background check. I don't want criminals working in my home.
2.) They must, must, MUST speak English. Do not send anyone here who does not speak English. Period. Ever. I also expect the workers to not only speak English to me, but to each other as well. I've bounced a pair of service techs out of my house when they kept speaking Spanish to each other.
3.) No illegal immigrants.
We had contracted a job to a company and had no idea the people doing work would only speak Spanish. If I had known I would not have signed the contract. They were coming to a situation where I noticed they were going to do some damage. I ended up having to call the company and have their secretary tell them what I wanted done. It still isn't fixed right. They will never do any more work for me. And this is a national company with a good reputation.

I wonder though with our government like it is, will I be able to say no more people here that do not speak English? I think situations could get dangerous with some work people do.

I think that employee should have a little tolerance for the fact that some elderly are frightened of black people. I also have a friend that was raped by a black man. She used to have anxiety attacks when confronted by a black man in a hostile way. It brought her trauma back to her. I cannot imagine she would want a visit from one.

Did he lose his job? Then why is he complaining? Part of what that person paid Lowe's is paying his salary. Sometimes a worker should think of their employers too. Why are we even hearing about this?

Old 08-10-2015, 02:38 PM

19,835 posts, read 12,092,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Really, if that woman does not want to do business with businesses that have black employees that would serve her, she needs to move the hell out of Virginia. Most notable big towns in Virginia west of I-95 like Harrisonburg, Danville, Farmville, Martinsville, and Bristol have pretty decent size black populations so there isn't a way to guarantee that she wont ever have a black employee servicing her. I think Eastern KY would be more speed.
Or Vermont. Not much diversity there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events