Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 11:48 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
What is wrong with saying "All lives matter"? Do they not agree with it?
Obviously all lives matter. But the problem is this slogan has been used as a retort to people saying black lives matter. It was used to undervalue the black experience, not to fight for justice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 08:38 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
There's almost too much to list here. But to start Criminal justice reform:
  1. Sentencing disparities
  2. Police accountability
  3. Independent review for police shootings
  4. Body cameras

Black Lives Matter | Not a Moment, a Movement
Here are my views on those:

1. Sentencing disparities - Blacks often have no support systems in place to keep them on the "straight and narrow" and I presume that's why they may be imprisoned more often and longer. Also more "priors" on their rap sheets.
  2. Police accountability - Any orderly society must presume that police are acting lawfully and in good faith until proven otherwise. If we presume otherwise we tie up police actions in dangerous situations demanding instant response in red tape.
  3. Independent review for police shootings - See Response to "2."
  4. Body cameras - In general I support those. You may want to be careful what you wish for, since I suspect most police will come out looking good.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:57 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,751,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crna101 View Post
Your movie stars are white
Your models are white
Corporate America is white
Every industry is white
Seriously?

Old 08-25-2015, 10:01 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Obviously all lives matter. But the problem is this slogan has been used as a retort to people saying black lives matter. It was used to undervalue the black experience, not to fight for justice.
And "BLM" was used to overvalue black lives, so what's your point? The response to something that overvalues one group of people is to say, no, this applies to EVERYONE. Or, people can say, well then this slogan applies to x and y groups, too, in the case of "blue lives matter".

Old 08-26-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
And "BLM" was used to overvalue black lives, so what's your point? The response to something that overvalues one group of people is to say, no, this applies to EVERYONE. Or, people can say, well then this slogan applies to x and y groups, too, in the case of "blue lives matter".
So your opinion that BLM has been overestimating the importance of of black people by being against police brutality is telling. This type of thought was the reason there was a confederacy, the reason why skinhead ideology emerged, the reason why the KKK became so powerful, and the reason why the Civil rights Act and Voting Rights Act was needed. It's a disgusting thought pattern that seems to refuse to let equality and acceptance replace it! If you let a conservative talk long enough the truth seeps out!!

Old 08-26-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
So your opinion that BLM has been overestimating the importance of of black people by being against police brutality is telling. This type of thought was the reason there was a confederacy, the reason why skinhead ideology emerged, the reason why the KKK became so powerful, and the reason why the Civil rights Act and Voting Rights Act was needed. It's a disgusting thought pattern that seems to refuse to let equality and acceptance replace it! If you let a conservative talk long enough the truth seeps out!!
BLM is using criminals, some with violent tendencies, to fuel its movement. For example, Michael Brown deserved what he got. He fought with a cop and took his gun all because Officer Wikson asked him to stop walking down the middle of the street and he flat out refused. What do you think will happen when you take a cop's gun? Eric Garner also flat out refused to stop selling illegal cigarettes in that particular location and resisted arrest, becoming combative when he knew what he was doing was not allowed because he'd been warned for days and arrested before. Not exactly great guys to represent your "against police brutality!" movement.

But sure - accuse me of supporting the Confederacy, being in the KKK, a skinhead, and someone who disagrees with the Voting Rights Act.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
BLM is using criminals, some with violent tendencies, to fuel its movement. For example, Michael Brown deserved what he got. He fought with a cop and took his gun all because Officer Wikson asked him to stop walking down the middle of the street and he flat out refused. What do you think will happen when you take a cop's gun? Eric Garner also flat out refused to stop selling illegal cigarettes in that particular location and resisted arrest, becoming combative when he knew what he was doing was not allowed because he'd been warned for days and arrested before. Not exactly great guys to represent your "against police brutality!" movement.

But sure - accuse me of supporting the Confederacy, being in the KKK, a skinhead, and someone who disagrees with the Voting Rights Act.
You posted black lives are being "overvalued" and I called you out over this nonsense. Your statement is the farthest place you can get from the truth before dropping off the edge of the world.. Own up to your way of thinking!! Eric Garner's situation was caught on video, is seen as excessive use of force by people of different races and ethnicity, and NYC is settling for 5.9 million. Your argument can't even hold water! Listen to yourself..

I'm not accusing you of being in the KKK or being a skinhead, so stop being so obtuse. Reread my statement if you didn't understand it. All I did was give you the opportunity to correct an error in reasoning or confess your true intentions behind the racial bias you posted. Instead of using subliminals just express your true feelings...

Last edited by SHABAZZ310; 08-26-2015 at 10:17 AM..

Old 08-26-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
You posted black lives are being "overvalued" and I called you out over this nonsense. Your statement is the farthest place you can get from the truth before dropping of the edge of the world.. Own up to your way of thinking!! Eric Garner's situation was caught on video, is seen as excessive use of force by people of different races and ethnicity, and NYC is settling for 5.9 million. Your argument can't even hold water! Listen to yourself..

I'm not accusing you of being in the KKK or being a skinhead, so stop being so obtuse. Reread my statement if you didn't understand it. All I did was give you the opportunity to correct an error in reasoning or confess your true intentions behind the racial bias you posted. Instead of using subliminals just express your true feelings...
Yes. BLM overvalues black lives over others. "All lives matter" does not. Literally in the simplest form of the phrase, "black lives matter," is calling out black lives only. How could it NOT be overvaluing one group? It quite literally picks out one group and says, hey, we matter! The response is, appropriately, no, all lives matter. If they're going to use a phrase like BLM then at least represent it with nonviolent not criminals unlike the lovely citizens the movement uses to currently represent itself.

Even Eric Garner's own daughter said it was not about race. The city settled to avoid an actual suit and the greater cost of that. With court and lawyers and then an actual payout, it's a waste of time and money when you can just say, whatever, and settle. Settlements don't necessarily mean admission of guilt or wrongdoing. A city or large company will settle when being sued because it's easier and usually, they have the money to throw away anyway.

I'm not being obtuse. You claimed my line of thinking is similar to all these racists and hate groups. I don't have to correct an error in my reasoning, because there is none. 1. All lives matter, yes. 2. If you really want to use BLM anyway then pick good people to represent the movement rather than criminals who were violent and/or resisted arrest. No one should be looking up to people like Michael Brown and Eric Garner. Yet they are most associated with the BLM and "hands up, don't shoot!" movements. Stop hyping up criminals. It does nothing for your cause. Stop sticking up for criminals. Accept the idea of personal responsibility. They made stupid decisions and died for them. Fact.

I don't have "true intentions" or "racial bias." I am speaking my mind. My true feelings have been expressed with no subliminals. I have been quite clear. How about YOU quit accusing me of ridiculous claims?

Old 08-28-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Yes. BLM overvalues black lives over others. "All lives matter" does not. Literally in the simplest form of the phrase, "black lives matter," is calling out black lives only. How could it NOT be overvaluing one group? It quite literally picks out one group and says, hey, we matter! The response is, appropriately, no, all lives matter. If they're going to use a phrase like BLM then at least represent it with nonviolent not criminals unlike the lovely citizens the movement uses to currently represent itself.

Even Eric Garner's own daughter said it was not about race. The city settled to avoid an actual suit and the greater cost of that. With court and lawyers and then an actual payout, it's a waste of time and money when you can just say, whatever, and settle. Settlements don't necessarily mean admission of guilt or wrongdoing. A city or large company will settle when being sued because it's easier and usually, they have the money to throw away anyway.

I'm not being obtuse. You claimed my line of thinking is similar to all these racists and hate groups. I don't have to correct an error in my reasoning, because there is none. 1. All lives matter, yes. 2. If you really want to use BLM anyway then pick good people to represent the movement rather than criminals who were violent and/or resisted arrest. No one should be looking up to people like Michael Brown and Eric Garner. Yet they are most associated with the BLM and "hands up, don't shoot!" movements. Stop hyping up criminals. It does nothing for your cause. Stop sticking up for criminals. Accept the idea of personal responsibility. They made stupid decisions and died for them. Fact.

I don't have "true intentions" or "racial bias." I am speaking my mind. My true feelings have been expressed with no subliminals. I have been quite clear. How about YOU quit accusing me of ridiculous claims?
JerseyGirl, once again you are allowing your bias to show. Black lives aren’t being overvalued by anyone. Case in point, the police are shooting first and asking questions later when black people are involved. This clearly shows everyone that blacks are actually being undervalued. Authorities aren’t assigned the same value to a black life as they do to a white life. This is a fact and is a corner stone of the BLM movement. You are attempting to twist the meaning of BLM based on your personal agenda! We see right through you!

Contrary to your personal opinion, when black folks highlight the discrepancies with justice it doesn’t take away from the whole. When we say black lives matter it doesn’t for a second mean white lives not matter. When we say law enforcement should value black lives it doesn’t mean we believe they should undervalue white lives. Do you get it? And when people like you speak about what the black lives matter movement should be representing or doing, we don’t take your opinion into consideration. If you’re not part of a movement, you have no say so in what they should or shouldn’t do. Change can only happen from the inside and not from conservative efforts to dilute the movement or change the focus from the outside.

As for the Eric Garner situation, the facts speak for itself. Your opinion is noted but it has already been repudiated by evidence. Claims can’t be considered ridiculous when there is supporting evidence…

Old 08-28-2015, 12:14 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
Sorry, but I think this outrage is just . . . well, outrageous.

As others have said, ALL lives matter, and so what if one group appropriates a slogan and gives it its own spin? I don't think that most people are saying that ONLY Black Lives Matter or ONLY Blue Lives Matter or ONLY White Lives Matter. I just wish that everyone would realize that ALL these lives matter EQUALLY -- or at least they should!

I am a moderate, but I am getting really tired of all the racism and "look at me-me-me, waaaahhh, waaahhh, waaahh" being shown by so many groups -- and I am definitely not talking just about "blacks", either!

I just wish this "us vs. them" mentality would just stop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events