Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2015, 01:55 PM

103 posts, read 82,553 times

Advertisements

A black baby knows nothing about slavery but they do know that they are somehow put at a disadvantage by society because of everyone's overall attitude. You guys just honestly proved my point here. 300 years of oppression does not simply vanish. You guys are white and have never been on the other end of it all. That's why you think that black people are just violent because they can't stop being violent. No matter how hard you try to deny it, there is something at work here that slips by your conscious mind and causes you to think a certain way. Being a minority in America causes you to be seen in a completely different way than a white person would be seen. You simply can't accept the fact that a majority of our country is racist in some way. You literally can't fathom how your race can impact every single aspect of your life. You will never understand how slavery was abolished in the 1800's but it's fingernails still pull black people back because it was a part of American culture for so long. People fought hard for civil rights. Do you really think they just sat back and started shooting people as soon as they got rights?

What's a more likely scenario- Black person gets all rights granted to him or her with the Civil Rights Act. They gladly accept a job from someone who, just a few months ago, used to casually throw around the N word and expected black people to move out of their way on the sidewalk. They coincide peacefully and the white boss and coworkers suddenly realize that black people are equal after all. Racism is solved and everyone has a 100% fair shot at a good life.

OR- Black person gets all rights granted to him or her with the Civil Rights Act. They try to seek employment but white America, that casually throws around the N word and expects black people to use another restroom, just shuns them. Businesses are mandated by law to not discriminate based on race, so white restaurants must serve black people while rolling their eyes and muttering a couple racist comments. Black people eventually find it hard to get ahead. Many of them have white collar jobs to this day, but many experiments show that race is a HUGE factor in the job interview process. Black people are normal human beings that have emotions just like white people. Not all of them will be able to stand for themselves and establish themselves in society. They aren't naturally prone to shoot people for no reason. If you think that way, then I urge you to make fun of a white person on a daily basis and see what happens. Will it be all smiles and giggles? Will the white person bake you cookies and ask for forgiveness?

Why do young white children and black children that know nothing about slavery or black criminal violence see darker skin as an undesirable trait? Look at this interesting experiment. The beginning of the video shows black kids and the end of the video shows white kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkpUyB2xgTM

Do you think kids that age even know what CNN or FOX News is? Probably not. All they know is Sesame Street and Spongebob. Do you think they know for a fact that black crime is higher than white crime?
At that young age, you're a parakeet of what you hear from your environment and family.
If you look at that video, you'll get a good sense of how society can even mold black people to see THEMSELVES as less desirable and have a lower level of self esteem. If you think that black people are violent simply because they have no self control, then you're really missing the point here. With low self esteem comes poor decisions. Poor decisions leads to... bad things
You can also see how our early childhood puts racist thoughts into our head from society as a whole. If you relate this back to the police brutality, you can easily see how police would still continue to unreasonably harass black people even if the crime rate was low. It's just a subconscious American thing.
Also, if black people were mostly known for violent crime, don't you think that pulling over random black people with no explanation is completely stupid and unreasonable? Even celebrities like Chris Rock get pulled over for no reason. If violent crime is the main concern, why would cops pull over a black person for following the flow of traffic, signaling their lane changes, and just being a normal driver in general? Shouldn't they be worried about violent crimes themselves?
Also, why would black people in nice cars still get pulled over? Someone in a nice car is obviously not the type of person to commit murder and shoot at random people. Why would someone that can afford a $90k Mercedes risk their job, lifestyle, money & happiness just to shoot at people? Yet, we see black people in all types of cars, clothes, and mannerisms get pulled over. Again, if violent crime is the main concern, why are cops pulling over black people of all kinds?
We all know that pulling over random people and harassing them is not going to stop murder, robbery, and other violent crimes. The high black crime rate does not warrant cops to be "extra super cautious" and pull over random black people for absolutely no reason.

Don't you also think it's in fact harder for black people to establish themselves in this country if they are seen differently by kids that don't even watch the news, pay attention to statistics, crime, etc? Imagine how those kids, particularly the white ones, in the video grew up. Maybe they grew up to think that black people don't raise their kids right and they're violent because they have no control. Maybe they grew up to think that 300 years of oppression does not change anything in the year 2015. Maybe they grew up thinking that black people need to stop complaining because they all have the opportunity to have a successful life. Maybe they grew up thinking that a country that's 70% white will suddenly throw away the past and see black people as normal people. Maybe they grew up thinking that it's so easy for black people to get a successful life.
And maybe some of them are commenting on this thread!
Maybe the black kids grew up hating themselves for being black or subconsciously feeling not worthy of anything because of their skin color. If white kids can be brought to drugs from bullying, abandonment, etc, isn't it reasonable to think that society's racism can bring black kids to poor decisions too?

Keep in mind that the experiment that I linked looks fairly recent. This means that the stigma against black people was probably much more harsh in earlier years.
I really did not become conscious of racial issues until the year 2002 or so so I can't comment on what it was like prior to that time. I'm 24 years old now.

By the way, take a look at all the crackhead white moms out there and realize that no race is perfect. Black people just have higher crime rates because they're put at a disadvantage ever since they were granted civil rights. Racist attitudes do not vanish!
Being white in America is a walk in the park. Even being Asian is a walk in the park. But at least I've experienced racial discrimination first hand so I can't just go around and say, "black people need to stop being so stupid and messing themselves up" because I know that there's a history behind it.
If you think that 300 years of TRADITION can be erased by a couple amendments to the constitution, then you're obviously so blind to any racial issue because you simply can't experience it.

Last edited by crna101; 08-19-2015 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 02:17 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crna101 View Post
Black people just have higher crime rates because they're put at a disadvantage ever since they were granted civil rights. Racist attitudes do not vanish!
Being white in America is a walk in the park. Even being Asian is a walk in the park. But at least I've experienced racial discrimination first hand so I can't just go around and say, "black people need to stop being so stupid and messing themselves up" because I know that there's a history behind it.
You really might want to rethink your first sentence above. Because here's how it reads: "Giving blacks civil rights put them at a disadvantage, which caused them to have higher crime rates." So does that mean the problem was giving them civil rights? Somehow, I seriously doubt that's what you meant.

And I'm sorry you've experienced racial discrimination. So have I, by the way. One time I was walking down the street when a crowd of black people appeared out of nowhere and surrounded me. One of them hit me in the face for no reason. Luckily for me, they kept going one way and I kept going the other way, and I got away from them without further incident. Another time, I was the only white person on a bus, and one of the black passengers kept up this angry chant about "WHITE BOY!" and I couldn't really understand what else he was saying, but it certainly didn't sound friendly. And still another time, I was on the subway when I found myself surrounded by a group of black guys. I moved to the door and got off at the next stop, and one of them grabbed my arm to try and pull me back on the train. (This was late at night, when no one else was riding on that car.) Luckily I managed to squirm free and the doors closed between us.

And there's more where that came from. Now, are my experiences the same as being enslaved and then facing Jim Crow? No, clearly it's not. But the notion that only minorities face racial prejudice in this country, and white people live their lives basking in their untouchable privilege, is a flat-out lie.

And I, for one, have simply exhausted my patience for the excuses that are given to explain away the racism and criminality that afflicts way too much of black culture.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
You really might want to rethink your first sentence above. Because here's how it reads: "Giving blacks civil rights put them at a disadvantage, which caused them to have higher crime rates." So does that mean the problem was giving them civil rights? Somehow, I seriously doubt that's what you meant.

And I'm sorry you've experienced racial discrimination. So have I, by the way. One time I was walking down the street when a crowd of black people appeared out of nowhere and surrounded me. One of them hit me in the face for no reason. Luckily for me, they kept going one way and I kept going the other way, and I got away from them without further incident. Another time, I was the only white person on a bus, and one of the black passengers kept up this angry chant about "WHITE BOY!" and I couldn't really understand what else he was saying, but it certainly didn't sound friendly. And still another time, I was on the subway when I found myself surrounded by a group of black guys. I moved to the door and got off at the next stop, and one of them grabbed my arm to try and pull me back on the train. (This was late at night, when no one else was riding on that car.) Luckily I managed to squirm free and the doors closed between us.

And there's more where that came from. Now, are my experiences the same as being enslaved and then facing Jim Crow? No, clearly it's not. But the notion that only minorities face racial prejudice in this country, and white people live their lives basking in their untouchable privilege, is a flat-out lie.

And I, for one, have simply exhausted my patience for the excuses that are given to explain away the racism and criminality that afflicts way too much of black culture.
No.... Just no.

Civil Rights were granted to black people but they were granted these rights while being far behind white people. They got rights while being 50 feet below sea level while white people were already on the top of the hill.

And to say that you faced racial discrimination for a few hours of life is honestly nothing. White people that think a few hours of racial discrimination means something are simply narrow minded! Their world is so small. They're so USED TO being in a pampered world that a couple instances suddenly turns into racial discrimination and something to cry about. It's like being a rich person that's so used to being upper class that they're appalled that a rental car company doesn't have any nice cars for rent during their vacation. You're so used to things going smoothly in terms of race that an instance like that suddenly turns into an appalling, pity-party worthy event coated in chili powder and knives. Take a look around you and realize that EVEN I, AN ASIAN, CAN'T COMPLAIN THAT MUCH ABOUT RACIAL DISCRIMINATION. If I can't complain that much, then why should you?

What you faced is just racial bashing. You have not and will never experience DISCRIMINATION when it comes to things that really matter. Racial bashing, racial prejudice, yes.. But DISCRIMINATION? Nah..
No matter how much a black person bashes you, hits you, calls you names, etc... You can still go to the local police station and be taken seriously because you're white. You can call them out, have the cops take care of it, and carry on with your day. Think about it, if you reported the incidence to the police, don't you think they'd take it very seriously? Doesn't that make you untouchable?
You can take your white wife and white kids to the mall without worrying about the fact that you're all white people. You can apply for a job without worrying about the fact that you're white and might not be taken seriously because of your color. You can take your white wife and kids to the waterpark without worrying about how you will be perceived because you're white. You can eat at a restaurant without being conscious of whether or not you'll be perceived as a threat because you're white. I know for a fact that even well dressed black people are seen as something that needs to be ushered out ASAP in a restaurant. A friend of mine in college worked at a pizza shop where the managers literally told him to "hurry up with the food and get them out of there ASAP," WHILE BLACK PEOPLE WERE CASUALLY TALKING TO THE WAITRESS ABOUT THEIR ROADTRIP.
You will never have to worry about being seen the wrong way simply for ordering a takeout pizza. That's what real discrimination is. What you faced is literally a drop of water in a lake. It's there, but it's not that significant.

Being called a "white boy" and being hit a couple times is nothing compared to the privilege you have in this country. That privilege is being able to go about daily life WITHOUT THINKING ABOUT THE FACT THAT YOU'RE WHITE. The only time white people realize they're white is when stuff like what you explained happens. For me and others, it's a daily occurrence and it can make everything either awkward or just something that's not even attempted.
You can easily step away from that neighborhood, subway train, or whatever, and live your life without facing discrimination.

It's easy to find a majority white neighborhood. It's not that easy to find a neighborhood that's NOT majority white. For that reason alone, it's really hard to face discrimination as a white person. You will face prejudice and be judged for being white, but it's so easy to just step away from discrimination or have the cops take care of it if you're white. In the end, white is dominant in this country so your voice will always matter more than others.

Even I can easily make racist comments at you. I can call you a soda drinking, butter licking, lobster-red sun burned whitie, but you can still override any other person of color because white people really are **privileged** whether they realize it or not. It's funny how only people of color realize this but white people rarely do.
I'm not afraid to say that white people are untouchable. Really, it's true.
You get beat up by a black guy and you might get injured, but the cops will do things far worse to the black guy than you can imagine.

Your movie stars are white
Your models are white
Corporate America is white
Every industry is white
Being white is so normal that you are desensitized about any race issue. The fact that you don't think about your race until someone takes a jab at you like those black guys did is honestly amazing. Others realize what race they are every day.

I, for one, have simply exhausted my patience for any white person that thinks white people are NOT untouchable in this country. But... I'm still gonna rant on this thread if I feel like it!

Last edited by crna101; 08-19-2015 at 03:10 PM..

Old 08-19-2015, 03:19 PM

10 ways white people are more racist than they realize - Salon.com

29 Stupid Things White People Do and What We Can Do Instead | Baltimore Racial Justice Action

Please, for the sake of learning new things and seeing new perspectives, please just read these two very short bulleted articles. Pay special attention to how many of them are in line with your thoughts. It's honestly not entirely your fault. You can easily become blind to racial issues if you're the majority.
They're honestly interesting to read.

I'm sure that Chinese people in China are completely blind to racial issues because they're the majority. They would probably make crude comments towards white and black tourists too. SO, for the sake of just seeing what's out there and learning new things, just take a look at those articles.

**I haven't even read these articles until a few minutes ago and it has some of the stuff that I argued earlier! That just shows you how only people of color can truly feel differently than the majority.

"Believe that you understand what racism feels like because you have visited a country, part of town, or venue where white people are the minority.
Instead: Recognize that white privilege is a global phenomenon. Even if you are “the only white person” somewhere, you are still carrying white privilege. Also, if you felt as an individual uncomfortable or unwelcome, you knew that you could leave that venue, that part of town or that country and go back to a place where you felt “normal.” For people of color, they may feel equally uncomfortable or unwelcome in white society, but they do not have a choice to leave it, without uprooting their lives.
"

"Say that you 'don’t see color.'
Instead: Consider that saying this is not a compliment because the implication is that having color is a diminishment. Are you trying to bestow some kind of 'honorary whiteness' on a person of color? They don’t want it."

(THIS is the one that correlates with what I mean by "untouchable whites"!)

Believe that if you have experienced discrimination it is the same as experiencing structural racism.
Instead: Recognize that racism is not just prejudice, but prejudice plus power. In our society, whites have the vast majority of power in institutions such as schools, courts, and corporations and maintenance of national narratives. Individual people of color may be biased against whites, just as whites may be biased against people of color. But the difference is that whites have institutional power to consistently deny resources and rights to people of color impacting their life choices and life chances; people of color do not have similar power to use their bias that way.

**Again, nobody is bashing YOU or blaming you. It's just that since you're the majority, you become so blind to racial issues. This is a phenomenon in every country. The Indian majority in India, the Chinese majority in China, Japanese in Japan, etc. The USA is just a multiracial society so we should try our harder than others to not be racist.

Last edited by crna101; 08-19-2015 at 03:32 PM..

Old 08-19-2015, 03:44 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
^^

If I wouldn't get an infraction, I would say so many words right now...

Old 08-19-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
^^

If I wouldn't get an infraction, I would say so many words right now...
Anything is fair game! What's on your mind? Don't be afraid to speak up

...because I'm honestly so straight forward that I just don't get any hints. I can't really tell what you're trying to say

Old 08-19-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Anything is fair game! What's on your mind? Don't be afraid to speak up

...because I'm honestly so straight forward that I just don't get any hints. I can't really tell what you're trying to say
Oh trust me it is not fair game. Maybe to you, but not to mods.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:13 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Obama presidency has race relations at an all time low. Rich people's lives matter more than poor, that is the real America, it has nothing to do with race.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Oh trust me it is not fair game. Maybe to you, but not to mods.
A PC response, perhaps?
I'm honestly not out to attack anyone. I just get passionate about the issue and state my points. I get where we all come from and I know that we all think a certain way based on our life experiences so I can't 100% victimize people for their opinions.
If anyone feels victimized from something I say.. then... Wow.. lol

Old 08-19-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
A PC response, perhaps?
I'm honestly not out to attack anyone. I just get passionate about the issue and state my points. I get where we all come from and I know that we all think a certain way based on our life experiences so I can't 100% victimize people for their opinions.
If anyone feels victimized from something I say.. then... Wow.. lol
Oh I do not feel victimized.

I just think what you're saying is utterly ridiculous. And I genuinely mean no offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events