Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:49 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,305,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Which is really ridiculous.
Yet true.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:01 AM

898 posts, read 1,219,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
When you live/work with people from many ethnic groups as in Brooklyn and Chicago, you'll see the trends. People from some cultures negotiate everything... E.g. If the Russians are selling say, a bunch of bananas for $5, I'd probably give them $3 and negotiate up if necessary. I sometimes hire Russian contractors and know I can always greatly negotiate down their price, and they will do high-quality work. When I managed a restaurant many years ago, none of the serving staff wanted to take the tables with black families because they tended to skimp on tip (or not tip) - so much so that it was attributed to a cultural practice. Is that racist, or just prudent action since the wait staff made their living from tips?
not me kiddo. i don't say it is racist. i say it is an action based on past historical performance of said group. you align future behavior based on how a specific event has transpired in the past. funny how it;s ok to do this in the entire industry of finance, retail, you name it, but as soon as it comes to human ethnicities, you say no. if aliens can judge people (not me), they'd laugh at how absurd this logic is.

also as a general rule, i would always negotiate when possible. the idea of fixed pricing makes no sense when you are doing business. in fact if you don't negotiate, YOU just got screwed by definition/default.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:21 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,302,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Personally, I live in a nice area but if you think bad things don't happen in nice areas, you're a fool because bad people travel to nice areas to do bad things. In fact, I think they're more likely to do that because a lot of people in nice areas are naive and have a sense that because of the area they're in, it's safe and no one will do anything.

We have a pit bull who answers the door before I would. I might have a firearm or two, might know how to use them and have seen much worse than any thug/gangbanger can bring.
This thread is shaking my naive complacency, living in a clean, nice neighborhood albeit 20 minutes from trashy ghetto Washington DC. Have had black door-to-door salesmen at all times of day, as late as 9pm one night. I must stop opening the door so naively. Early in this thread someone suggested keeping a loud recording of vicious dog barking near the door, along with heavy rattling chains...to use when unwanted visitors come by.

Never thought I'd have to live in paranoia.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:25 AM

16,614 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I live in a very low crime area. I do not open the door to strangers.

My husband is the opposite. Drives me crazy.

I go the opposite direction when he does this and am prepared to escape, in the unlikely event.......
Never open your doors to strangers;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnSx7q89y1g

`

Old 08-26-2015, 09:46 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,562,704 times
la la la la, just a single mom who is home every day (work from home) with back patio door open and front door open with locks, so I can enjoy a nice cross breeze, now shaking in my underpants after reading all this...nothing to see here....

Old 08-26-2015, 10:33 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,673,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
if i was a black or jewish guy, i would not live down in alabama or near wherever the kkk holds its meetings.

Ahh yes.... another person who wants to stereotype Alabama from something they saw on tv once.

There is less racism in Alabama than many of the northern states. If you come down to visit, you'll see that very quickly.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:14 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Why has the KKK been allowed to overtake city data forums? Are the moderators asleep?
Go read a pro-BLM thread and ask yourself the same question. Can't whites point out the obvious just as blacks fabricate RACISM in all aspects of life?

Old 08-26-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Well, I'm no liberal, but as it stands what resources I have at the moment is what it is. And what makes you think a bat couldn't kill someone? If it comes down to it, I ain't hitting just to stun the guy. Same with a knife? You think that if some jacka** is in my home in an attempt at a home invasion that I'm going to just try to wound him? Or let's take the hornet spray for example.... Hit him with enough of it, and you'll blind the SOB! I don't think he'll be able to rob anyone anymore given that he may be permanently blind.

At any rate, as I said, I'm working on upgrading, and there is a shotgun that I was looking at at Gander Mountain with my name on it.

If you didn't take the plunge your name ain't on it. Pump or semi-auto? Better get 12 ga so you can throw lots of #4 at high velocity.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Never open your doors to strangers;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnSx7q89y1g

`

That movie is a prediction of the future and uncomfortable at times; the book is way more graphic.
I saw it with Slaughterhouse Five back in the 70s and saw two of the craziest flicks of that decade in one sitting.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:43 AM

19,846 posts, read 12,116,680 times
Why would the news station broadcast the victim's address?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events