Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 03:07 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Which is why I support one's right to have the means to defend themselves. I know the detractors will say, "b-b-b-but... it's just a tv, or it's just jewelery... material things can be replaced." All true. However; how do I know what the intruder's intentions are? I know this... said intruder isn't there just to have coffee, and donuts! In short, and the bottom line is, the intruder should NOT have been there in the first place, and therefore when I hear stories of one getting capped, I really don't have much sympathy for them other than shake my head, and think damn, what a way to waste your life and throw it away over doing dumb s***! I wouldn't say I question the victim about what mistake he/she made, because s*** happens! Now, if it keeps happening, well... then that is a different story. What I do dislike are statements such as "run, hide under the bed, or lock yourself in the closet, and call 911" which is illogical, because in essence you are creating more victims by denying them their means to protect themselves, therefore making them vulnerable to the scumbags in our society. In other words, a lot can happen in a few seconds, and you could be dead by the time the cops get there. Hell, even if you do have the means to protect yourself, you still may end up dead, but it beats not having any means at all!
I agree. In NJ, because of liberals (sorry but it's true), if you shoot someone who has broken into your house, you will be charged for shooting them - either with assault, attempted murder, or murder/some variation of killing another person. I think this is 100% wrong. If someone breaks into my home, you're right, I don't know what their intentions are. They could want my TV and laptop or they could want to assault me in any way, kidnap me, or kill me - or all of the above. If you enter MY house uninvited, and I don't know you, I think I should be able to shoot you if I feel threatened, and not get in trouble for it.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:14 PM

78,450 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoTex View Post
Michael Browns parents got on the CBS Morning Show w/Charlie Rose and Gayle King and said that they believed that Darren Wilson had intent to kill some black person that day. May or may not have been their son Michael - but he wanted to kill a black person that day.

That seriously is what they believe?!?

No mention at all of their sons criminal behavior or their bad job as parents.

And Gayle King certainly didn't bring that up.
CBS morning show gave them the opportunity to trot out and make those claims and were there any hard questions back or did they just give them an open forum to make unopposed statements like that?

Did they go over the store robbery footage with the parents and say, well if he was so gentle why did he intimidate and rob the owner?

That's the culpability of the media right there.

Any major dispute where you give one side an unopposed platform and you have a problem.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:11 PM

898 posts, read 1,219,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I agree. In NJ, because of liberals (sorry but it's true), if you shoot someone who has broken into your house, you will be charged for shooting them - either with assault, attempted murder, or murder/some variation of killing another person. I think this is 100% wrong. If someone breaks into my home, you're right, I don't know what their intentions are. They could want my TV and laptop or they could want to assault me in any way, kidnap me, or kill me - or all of the above. If you enter MY house uninvited, and I don't know you, I think I should be able to shoot you if I feel threatened, and not get in trouble for it.
lawyers have told us here in new york city to shoot to kill once someone breaks in. if that guy gets outta yer home, you will be sued or hit with charges.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:13 PM

898 posts, read 1,219,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
When I was a kid in the 50s and 60s any Oriental adult could correct any oriental child not their own. it's called policing ones own culture for the good of the whole. and it works generally.
There is terrific honor among these people ,a pleasure knowing a doing business with them. I can't say that about many other ethnic groups not even white.
These people have as much right to complain as any one but they have honor. and respect for their elders, even if they are not their own.
The fix to the racial problem is the people them self taking the initiative for adults to stand together and correct their own people's bad behavior and develop some honor and respect .
Standing aside and doing or saying nothing while a person of your own race is making you look bad is actually adding fuel to the fire, the consent of silence. You can't afford to pass the buck and say your not related or his actions don't reflect on you .that's a lie. His actions do reflect on you, "especially" if you don't care.
I have on occasion stopped a talked to young people my own race, and had a talk with them especially if they appeared to be heading for mischief.
It may not seem important that they actually listen ,but that you cared sometimes touches one of them.
I believe that consent by silence, does far more damage.
As for dealing with some one attempting to break in, they have already counted the possibility of loosing their life in the process , that moment of desperation has already got their adrenalin going.
It is sad that with so much media coverage over people arming them selves, you'd think criminals would take the hint but then they can't be too bright either.
But they apparently still have plenty of targets, people derelict at self protection practices, loose morals and lack self worth .
fully agree however what about racial mixes? you don't fit into black, white, asian, hispanic or so on. values are based on community which is usually around race and ethnicity. sometimes religion.

and then it gets more complicated with religions (islam has sharia and is NOT based on american values as it does not support democracy or communal values) as well as different lifestyles (2 gay men raising a child may see the world differently or a gangster may purposely want to raise his child to be "hard"). the country is far more diverse today compared to the 60s. everyone has their own set of values and if you get into someone's business, it is usually not a good idea. i just walk away unless the kid is hitting me or something. then i do tell the parent or the kid to stop and i am not his friend.

also asians, which goes from japan all the way to asia minor south (india) have a deep sense of shame because everyone talks about you in the community. i have often said that if someone tried to rob me, i have no interest in punching him. i would far rather try to get him pepper sprayed then take off all his clothes and tie his sneakers and then put a sign around his neck "i tried to rob someone so this is what happened to me." shaming by society is far worse than a punch knockout. and thugs LOVE respect/street cred. really just shame them and watch them squirm.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:40 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
lawyers have told us here in new york city to shoot to kill once someone breaks in. if that guy gets outta yer home, you will be sued or hit with charges.
Which is really ridiculous.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:45 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
I'm guessing that family will look at getting a gun(s).

Old 08-25-2015, 04:48 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,475,620 times
Black lives matter to the police everywhere, police are turning over a new leaf.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:56 PM

8,246 posts, read 3,500,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
"Atlanta is filled with blacks that hate whites, without provocation" is roughly what you wrote.

If you don't find that racist then we are at an impasse.
And how is that inaccurate? This country is filled with blacks that hate whites. They target whites for crimes like the knock out games and that white couple that was torture killed in Knoxville, TN (the perps admitted they targeted them because they were white).

It isn't about racism. It's about self-preservation. You cannot protect yourself from predators if you keep your head in the sand.

I hope the man in this story survives and doesn't let his guard down again.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:43 PM

40,953 posts, read 49,221,262 times
One good thing out of Detroit is the Police Chief saying more citizens should be armed for their own self protection.

What a great idea.

Detroit chief: More citizens should be armed

Quote:
Detroit’s police chief has a solution to help drive down crime in one of the nation’s most dangerous cities: arm more citizens.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:05 PM

590 posts, read 715,068 times
they shoulda just shot the intruders in the faces....problem solved..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events