Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 11:17 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
So 20%-40% of the world's population in 1918 were infected. What was different about the other 60%-80%? Why were they resistant?

What kind of clown thinking assumes that 100% of the world's population was exposed to the virus?

Congratulations on subtracting 20 from a 100 to get 80, but switch full brain on next time before drawing conclusions.

here's some more morons:
Texas: 14-Year Old Virgin Falls Pregnant After Flu Shot World News Daily Report

She had the flu shot and got mysteriously pregnant. Those vaccines cause untold problems. Corporate conspiracy etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 12:06 PM

10,225 posts, read 6,311,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
So you are comparing the seasonal flu you get to the flu of 1918? And you seriously think if a flu like the 1918 one came around again you wouldn't get it because you have such a good immune system?

Can I have a little of what you're smoking?
So tell me. How many people did you ever know who lived through that 1918 epidemic. Let me see I knew my Grandpa, 3 Uncles, 4 Aunts, and my Grandma who lived with us. I grew up among all of them, and even lived in the same house growing up with Grandma. NONE of them ever talked about how horrible that flu was or how they were so sick from it or their children dying from it.

Sorry, I will trust real life people who lived it rather than science stories on the Internet trying to push fear and their profits.

What is YOUR experience? Reading Medical Journals about it?

Old 10-09-2015, 12:26 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,523,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
What kind of clown thinking assumes that 100% of the world's population was exposed to the virus?

Congratulations on subtracting 20 from a 100 to get 80, but switch full brain on next time before drawing conclusions.

here's some more morons:
Texas: 14-Year Old Virgin Falls Pregnant After Flu Shot World News Daily Report

She had the flu shot and got mysteriously pregnant. Those vaccines cause untold problems. Corporate conspiracy etc.
So the difference is that those people weren't exposed to it? That's your answer? It traveled the globe but only 20%-40% were exposed?

Interesting... unless the person was in a remote part of the world, I'm pretty sure they were exposed. So 1% of the population wasn't exposed and you think that warrants calling me a moron?

Old 10-09-2015, 12:29 PM

Pandemic Flu History | Flu.gov

Obviously, I was not around for that 1918 Pandemic, but certainly was for the ones in the 50's and 60's. Given that I always caught anything going around as a child and young adult, I probably was one of those "victims" of those two pandemics.

Everyone on here survived that 2009 Pandemic, whether we had the flu or not, or ever got that flu shot in that "pandemic".

Rodentraiser, I was 61 at the time of the last "pandemic". Most at risk vulnerable people to DIE. 1918 Pandemic type flu? I am sure next year when that new Universal Flu Vax is approved, pushed, and marketed, there will be another pandemic created so they can push the new vaccine on the fearful public. Hey, we can now eradicate all strains of the flu. Get your shot, and be protected for life! No, I do not want it.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:31 PM

37,098 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
So 20%-40% of the world's population in 1918 were infected. What was different about the other 60%-80%? Why were they resistant?
When the magnitude of the epidemic became apparent, efforts were made to reduce the spread of the disease. The major approach was isolation and quarantine of cases. People avoided crowds. They were discouraged from spitting on the streets. In some areas funerals were skipped. Some cities closed public facilities, including schools and churches. Not everyone was exposed, and of those who were exposed, not everyone caught the disease. The estimated R0 (a measure of the transmissibility of the virus) for the 1918 influenza epidemic is 2 to 3, meaning one person on average would infect two to three others. Influenza is just not as "catchable" as some infections, like measles (R0 about 14).

Other public health measures were also implemented.

https://virus.stanford.edu/uda/fluresponse.html#top

From the Cover: Public health interventions and epidemic intensity during the 1918 influenza pandemic

With any viral illness, some people will have very mild disease (or perhaps no symptoms at all) and some will be very ill and die. The immune factors that determine that are currently being studied. The fact remains that some healthy, well nourished people who catch vaccine preventable diseases get very ill, and some of them die. You cannot count on nutrition to prevent severe illness.

With the 1918 flu, it appears that the factor leading to death may have been an exaggerated immune response to the disease, which often killed within hours of the onset of symptoms.

Influenza Pandemic | International Encyclopedia of the First World War (WW1)

Keep in mind that in 1918 it was not known that the causative organism of influenza was a virus; it was thought to be bacterial. there was even a vaccine produced against a number of bacterialorganisms, including Hemophilus influenzae, which was a candidate for the cause of influenza at the time.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:45 PM

37,098 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
So tell me. How many people did you ever know who lived through that 1918 epidemic. Let me see I knew my Grandpa, 3 Uncles, 4 Aunts, and my Grandma who lived with us. I grew up among all of them, and even lived in the same house growing up with Grandma. NONE of them ever talked about how horrible that flu was or how they were so sick from it or their children dying from it.

Sorry, I will trust real life people who lived it rather than science stories on the Internet trying to push fear and their profits.

What is YOUR experience? Reading Medical Journals about it?
You never knew the ones who did not survive. They were dead.

That your family never mentioned it to you does not mean it did not happen - or that none of them were affected by it. They may have found it too painful to talk about.

"Equally long-lasting, but in emotional and psychological terms, was the grief caused by the sudden mass death which stemmed from the pandemic. Families shattered by the death of a young parent or spouse and orphans created by the hundred million all bore testimony to the trauma flowing from these deaths, in many cases for the rest of their lives. In 1998 a ninety-year-old South African flu orphan told me that his mother had died in the 1918 pandemic when he was ten, 'and I have missed her ever since' In the same year a second nonagenarian recalled poignantly that when his mother had died of 'Spanish' flu in Illinois in 1918, the shine went out of everything ... I realized, for the first time and forever, that we were not safe. We were not beyond harm. My father did what he could. He kept us together as a family, but from that time on there was a sadness which had not existed before, a deep down sadness that never went away."

"Even some children born during the pandemic’s height, whose parents did not fall victim to it, bore its mark for the rest of their lives by virtue of their names. Baptizing newborns 'Ora Pro Nobis' ('pray for us' in Latin) or 'Myra' ('lament' in Hebrew) bore testimony to the fear and grief which the pandemic evoked, while bestowing names like 'Fraser' (from 'freza,' the flu in Shona, spoken in what was then Southern Rhodesia), 'Ogbo Ifelunza' ('influenza age group,' the name given to the age-set born between 1919 and 1921 in Igboland in Nigeria) and 'Mesiawa' ('I have survived,' the label given to the Kipsigi age-set born at the same time in south-western Kenya) tell of how deeply the episode impressed itself on locals’ consciousness."

Old 10-09-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You never knew the ones who did not survive. They were dead.

That your family never mentioned it to you does not mean it did not happen - or that none of them were affected by it. They may have found it too painful to talk about.

"Equally long-lasting, but in emotional and psychological terms, was the grief caused by the sudden mass death which stemmed from the pandemic. Families shattered by the death of a young parent or spouse and orphans created by the hundred million all bore testimony to the trauma flowing from these deaths, in many cases for the rest of their lives. In 1998 a ninety-year-old South African flu orphan told me that his mother had died in the 1918 pandemic when he was ten, 'and I have missed her ever since' In the same year a second nonagenarian recalled poignantly that when his mother had died of 'Spanish' flu in Illinois in 1918, the shine went out of everything ... I realized, for the first time and forever, that we were not safe. We were not beyond harm. My father did what he could. He kept us together as a family, but from that time on there was a sadness which had not existed before, a deep down sadness that never went away."

"Even some children born during the pandemic’s height, whose parents did not fall victim to it, bore its mark for the rest of their lives by virtue of their names. Baptizing newborns 'Ora Pro Nobis' ('pray for us' in Latin) or 'Myra' ('lament' in Hebrew) bore testimony to the fear and grief which the pandemic evoked, while bestowing names like 'Fraser' (from 'freza,' the flu in Shona, spoken in what was then Southern Rhodesia), 'Ogbo Ifelunza' ('influenza age group,' the name given to the age-set born between 1919 and 1921 in Igboland in Nigeria) and 'Mesiawa' ('I have survived,' the label given to the Kipsigi age-set born at the same time in south-western Kenya) tell of how deeply the episode impressed itself on locals’ consciousness."
I did not grow up in rural Georgia. We had a hospital on every corner in Manhattan. Whoopee, even back in the 50's. I read the NY Daily News from when I was about 10 in 1958 because my parents bought it every day. We did reports in school. I did not ever read about all the children dying in the NY Daily News or NY Post of these disease which you experienced. I did not witness it either in my classmates or friends, let alone my "superhuman" family. Maybe it happened in Georgia. lol

Old 10-09-2015, 03:25 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
Quote:
I did not grow up in rural Georgia. We had a hospital on every corner in Manhattan. Whoopee, even back in the 50's. I read the NY Daily News from when I was about 10 in 1958 because my parents bought it every day. We did reports in school. I did not ever read about all the children dying in the NY Daily News or NY Post of these disease which you experienced. I did not witness it either in my classmates or friends, let alone my "superhuman" family. Maybe it happened in Georgia. lol
So you're saying because you don't have recollections or personal experience of something that happened in 1958, then it didn't happen? Wow, that is just...............

Old 10-09-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
So you're saying because you don't have recollections or personal experience of something that happened in 1958, then it didn't happen? Wow, that is just...............
I got the Flu a LOT 30+ years ago. Do you seriously expect me to remember every time I got the flu when I was a CHILD 50+ years ago? No, whenever I got it, it did not make that much of an impression upon me, including in my young adulthood. Little secret. There are far worse illnesses you can get than the Flu. Why do you think I can still remember Scarlet Fever from 60 years ago, but not any FLU?????

I said that I probably DID get the Flu back then but it made no lasting impressions on me because it was nowhere near as bad as what people think it is today where they RUN to the ER with the Flu. Focus on the horror stores, but ignore the vast majority of non issues? Horror stories promotes an agenda and more money made.

Anyway, it is YOUR choice. Go shoot yourself up with every vaccination under the sun. Lining up for your Ebola vax too? Let everyone else decide for themselves in a free society.

Last edited by Jo48; 10-09-2015 at 05:07 PM..

Old 10-09-2015, 06:11 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,353 times
Quote:
I got the Flu a LOT 30+ years ago. Do you seriously expect me to remember every time I got the flu when I was a CHILD 50+ years ago? No, whenever I got it, it did not make that much of an impression upon me, including in my young adulthood. Little secret. There are far worse illnesses you can get than the Flu. Why do you think I can still remember Scarlet Fever from 60 years ago, but not any FLU?????

I said that I probably DID get the Flu back then but it made no lasting impressions on me because it was nowhere near as bad as what people think it is today where they RUN to the ER with the Flu. Focus on the horror stores, but ignore the vast majority of non issues? Horror stories promotes an agenda and more money made.

Anyway, it is YOUR choice. Go shoot yourself up with every vaccination under the sun. Lining up for your Ebola vax too? Let everyone else decide for themselves in a free society.
I didn't "run" to the ER with the flu. I was taken to the ER when my friend found me semi-conscious on the floor of the bathroom. I was very ill, dangerously so. It DOES happen, even if it didn't happen to you. And I had scarlet fever in 1977. I was very ill then, too. One does not negate the other--they both happened. Neither has anything to do with the other. But I have never, EVER been so sick as I was with the flu. I wanted to die, literally. Every piece of me hurt, inside and out, to a degree that made being awake & concious unbearable. I was fortunately so weak I couldn't have acted upon that wish. That's not a horror story. That is what the flu can do. I was a very healthy young woman, in my 20s. It took me down in a matter of hours.

BTW, the flu is not Santa. It doesn't require you to believe in it. And you do have a choice. But certain choices have consequences. Why does that sound so familiar? It's like I've heard it before...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events