Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 08:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Pandemic has to be declared. Were there quarantines or forced vaccinations during the 2009 Flu PANDEMIC? Yes, the White House officially declared a National State of Emergency in 2009.
No, pandemic does not have to be declared. There was no pandemic in 1922 in Texas when the law was upheld. There was no pandemic in 2015 in New York when the law was upheld again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 09:15 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
I hate to say it but this took place in Kenya.
It sure is laughable to compare Kenya to the US. What a crock of crap this whole thread is.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:25 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
This thread is sort of the poster boy of what is wrong with the Internet. You put up some shocking headline and provide some silly information that has no meaning other than in a third world country just to promote some agenda. This is what the Internet is all about. Shocking headline, no substance. OP, you aren't even making money on this stuff. Join a news team and you would feel at home.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:44 AM

1,316 posts, read 748,958 times
Quote:
You can bank your own blood. This is what people were doing in the early 80's (Aids) in NYC, who needed future surgery and were worried about contaminated blood supply.

I was not given a blood transfusion after my ruptured ectopic, which hospital wanted me to have, because my OB/GYN in 1982 NYC did not trust the blood supply. He did not even want my own husband (same blood type) to donate blood to me. "Build up your own blood" was what he said.

You can still do this today if you choose to do so. Again to quote what my OB/GYN said back then, "The safest blood you can ever receive is your own."

By today's medical standards, this doctor would now probably be considered a Holistic doctor.
Many people bank blood before surgery if they are able. But not just because of risk from disease. Even with a matched blood type, you can have a reaction like an allergic reaction. So your own blood is best, if it's possible for you to bank it. If it's not, and you need some, the blood supply is statistically safe. Hey, a lot of mine ends up there, for anyone who needs it to use. (Public service announcement: Save a life! Please donate blood! [and sign up to be a blood marrow donor {and indicate that you wish to donate your organs in the case of an accidental death}])

Again, I want to point out that YOUR experience is not a substitute for EVERY experience. In some cases, a transfusion IS necessary. You can't just refuse and expect a recovery in certain circumstances. It's not realistic to say you can just say no. If you were able to survive without a transfusion, fine. But you do know that's not always the case, right? Your doctor either made the right decision (if you hadn't lost too much blood and were healthy enough to rebuild your own supply) or was reckless (if you had lost a significant amount of blood that the body would have trouble replacing on its own). It isn't a matter of believing strongly enough. Since he refused your husband's blood (who you say was a match for your type), I can only surmise he felt you were able to gain back what you had lost on your own. Either way, you were in no danger of receiving bad blood from a public supply--so the argument of the doc not trusting the supply holds no water. You didn't need it, since your husband had some to spare.

But your mistrust of any doctor but one who has made what sound like some unusual calls in your case does not justify throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Is this still about vaccines? If so, nothing has changed: vaccines are a godsend--they save considerably more lives than they harm. Serious, fatal reactions are rare enough that they are safe. Being exposed to measles or whooping cough or any other disease we CAN prevent is the larger risk.

In the case of this incident in Africa, you can read a bit more at the original link. The Kenyan gov't sent investigators; the bodies of the two victims were taken to a larger hospital for autopsy; the vials of vaccine in question were taken to be checked; no other children died; the "cleaner" was arrested for his own safety after the crowd turned on him. This is a terrible situation, but early indications DO point to human error in administration, not a widespread issue with bad vaccine. Consider conditions where it is "normal" for a janitor to perform medical procedures. THERE is the real problem--a lack of adequately trained personnel.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:59 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No, pandemic does not have to be declared. There was no pandemic in 1922 in Texas when the law was upheld. There was no pandemic in 2015 in New York when the law was upheld again.
I will have to ask my children, who still live in NY, if there were quarantines or mass public vaccinations under Jacobson this year. There weren't any when I was there in April, or my husband was in August. I was not asked to show my vaccination records at JFK, nor any tables around for vaccinating travelers when "the law was upheld in 2015". Does Jacobson just apply to little children?

They are trying, but NY still has a religious exemption for public schools. My SIL is a NYC Public School Teacher.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:22 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,567,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Kenya: Panic As Two Children Die, Seven in Critical Condition After Measles Vaccination - allAfrica.com

Also 28 paralyzed after polio vaccination?

And people wonder why their needs to be a choice to vaccination?
No, people wonder why negatively-motivated posters leave their brains at the door when drawing illogical conclusions.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:24 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,567,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
This thread is sort of the poster boy of what is wrong with the Internet. You put up some shocking headline and provide some silly information that has no meaning other than in a third world country just to promote some agenda. This is what the Internet is all about. Shocking headline, no substance. OP, you aren't even making money on this stuff. Join a news team and you would feel at home.

The OP should have been directed to the decoy Internet where all the conspiracy theorists, perpetually outraged, fundamental attribution error makers, and general time-wasters should also be quarantined.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:06 PM

7,026 posts, read 4,901,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
If it's none of our business then why was it such a huge media story?
How about because at one time measles was pretty much non-existent in the US in 2000? Now, thanks to anti-vaxxers, we have people dying of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Ebola was isolated from humans back in the 70s. The first samples of Ebola were all isolated from humans. The virus was immediately recognizable due to its unique appearance, similar to that of Marburg as well. Not sure what you're going on about here.

Read about the experiences of Peter Piot, one of the first doctors to come into contact with Ebola.

Part one: A virologist's tale of Africa's first encounter with Ebola | Science/AAAS | News

http://news.sciencemag.org/africa/20...ncounter-ebola
Also read his book "No Time to Lose". It's an excellent read about what goes on during an Ebola epidemic.

Quote:
Pandemic has to be declared. Were there quarantines or forced vaccinations during the 2009 Flu PANDEMIC? Yes, the White House officially declared a National State of Emergency in 2009.
I'm not sure from your post if you understand the difference between an epidemic and a pandemic.

At any rate, there was plenty of warning from the government. There were also plenty of people who pooh-poohed it as well. Some of those people later lost their children to swine flu. And since over 12,000 US citizens specifically died from the 2009 swine flu, I'd say the alarm was justified.

And are you even aware of how much time it takes to make up a flu vaccination for the current flu that goes around, let alone one that suddenly pops up on the radar, and then make enough of that vaccine to cover every man, woman and child in the US (minus the ones who have such wonderful immunity they don't need it, of course)?

And I highly doubt we'd need the government to force quarantines in the event of a flu epidemic like the one we had in 1918 - oh, excuse me, the pneumonia epidemic (sorry, I forgot, Katjonjj changed that). In 1918, if you were sick, the citizens themselves forced your quarantine, along with some help from the local police. Hospitals then were overloaded so people died at home and bodies piled up in the morgue because there weren't enough caskets for them and they dead couldn't be buried fast enough to keep up with the deaths.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:52 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,768,741 times
Dangers of vaccination: Insufficiently-weakened vaccine can give you the illness they were trying to vaccinate you against. Contaminated vaccine can poison you. Expired vaccine has no effect but costs you just as much money. Mislabeled vaccine can vaccinate you against something you are already immune to. Untrained personnel (like the cleaner administering the measles vaccine in Kenya) giving you God-knows-what in a dirty needle.

Dangers of not vaccinating: Funeral industry overwhelmed. Coffin shortage. Families of the sick and dead infecting the healthy trying to attend to the infected without using universal precautions. Missing weeks or months of work caring for your sick family members. Missing weeks or months of work because of your own severe illness, even if you survive it. Shortage of backhoes for mass graves. Being the only survivor of your family or town.

Last edited by Cliffie; 09-29-2015 at 02:08 PM..

Old 09-29-2015, 03:56 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,856,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010
The evidence available in the news reports points to it not being the vaccine, since children who received vaccine from the same lot did not get sick. Only children in one location, all vaccinated by someone who is not a trained healthcare worker, got sick.
They always do that suzy! (Even if it was the vaccine,they wouldnt say a thing as they dont want to lose profit)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events