Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2015, 08:03 PM

464 posts, read 451,225 times

Advertisements

I should post this on here too. I don't think many people know what they are talking about. here's the truth on vaccines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
vaccines against viruses are simple. they either put a dead or weakened version of the virus into the body, and the immune system develops a response to it, and then if the real deal virus gets into the body, the immune system immediately recognizes the virus (because it's seen it before) and fights it off before the body can get seriously ill.

regarding the flu shot, the flu virus often evolves an immunity to the previous year's shot, and scientists have to change the ingredients annually. they take an educated shot in the dark when changing the ingredients, but often get it wrong. I haven't gotten the shot in years, because I often get sick anyway, and I have an adverse fear getting stabbed by needles. if you aren't scared of needles, you should probably get the shot. if you are concerned with the very little amount of thiomerosal in it, there's no need to be. thiomerosal is an ethyl mercury compound which is used to preserve multidose bottles. this is to make sure no bacteria grows in the vaccine. the amount of thiomerosal that gets into you is so little that it will not hurt you... and if you are really concerned about it, the nasal spray and single dose bottles of the flu vaccine don't have any thomerosal in them.

the whole correlation with autism thing is dumb. autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder which affects the social interaction and communicative parts in your brain. it is not caused by any ingredients in vaccines. it's basically a brain condition. the only reason more cases have been diagnosed today is because doctors are more aware of it. many of the kids that you considered 'socially awkward', 'loners', or 'weird' when you went to school probably had some mild form of undiagnosed asperger's or autism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 08:14 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
Quote:
trust me, there's way less. people over there actually look at facts and don't take everything as a political stance.
Being born there, I assure you that there is no shortage of irrational people. Vaccination rates in countries like France and the UK absolutely plummeted after the faux autism scare and only recently have begun to recover.

A lot of the modern anti-vaccine hysteria emerged from out of the U.K. with Andy Wakefield and all his BS and spread quickly to the more affluent Western nations.

Then you look at Mexico and Central America where vaccination rates are incredibly high because parents dont have the luxury of playing Russian Roulette with thrir kids lives when medical treatment may not always be available.

I am interested to see if the fringe groups in California were able to secure enough signatures to get a referendum on the new vaccination requirements on the ballot. The deadline is Monday.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
trust me, there's way less. people over there actually look at facts and don't take everything as a political stance.
Map Shows Anti-Vaccine Movement's Impact On Public Health In U.S., Europe
Vilifying Vaccines - Bloomberg QuickTake
The toll of the anti-vaccination movement, in one devastating graphic - LA Times
Australian Vaccination Skeptics Network compares vaccines to rape in Facebook post

Plus much more! The anti-vax movement is very strong in Europe and Australia.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
This sure has strayed off topic. The topic is that two children died after getting injected with the measles vaccine in Kenya. If you care that one person died in the US from measles then you should also care that two children died after getting injected with the vaccine in Kenya. Both scenarios are tragic and both are reminders that neither choice is risk free.
Every death is sad, and deaths due to medical errors are especially sad. We don't really know what all happened in this incident. If the facts are as described elsewhere in this thread, it's clear that more education and training is needed. This all costs money, which is in short supply in the developing world. Just yesterday, I bought a UNICEF Halloween card, the profits of which will go to childhood vaccines. "Trick or Treat for UNICEF" is a time-honored way to raise money for vaccineshttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trick-or-Treat_for_UNICEF#/media/File:2012-logo-trick-or-treat-for-unicef.png

Old 09-27-2015, 01:57 AM

7,027 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I have had pet cats all my life. Oh, my, how many times have they bit me? Impossible to fathom over 67 years.Swell up? I am sure that has also happened but I certainly cannot remember when or how many times.

So when a person's pet cat or dog bites or scratches them they must make sure they are up to take on that Tetanus shot? Get a rabies shot too? Can you imagine what the ER's would look like if they did that for their own pets? Maybe a strange or stray animal for a rabies shot, but your OWN PET? Come on.

Never had a pet rat, but saw quite a few growing up on the streets of NY. My daughter has a friend who has 2 pet rats and 2 pet cats. Yes, both species coexist and have the run of the house. She is now pregnant with her first. Guess she had better get rid of those pet rats, and the cats, before the baby comes. What potential for disease there!
You are so obtuse sometimes it's hard to say whether you're that way deliberately or not. OF COURSE any animal bite is going to make you swell up. Honey child, my thumb was not just swollen up. It was INFECTED! BADLY! Believe me, I know the difference. A bite that gets that infected that fast is serious. And if the doctor recommends a tetanus shot, yes, I'm going to get one. Not only do I not want tetanus, I don't even want to run the risk of getting it.

And you shouldn't have to get a rabies shot. YOUR PET SHOULD ALREADY BE VACCINATED AGAINST RABIES! Anyone who lives in an area where rabies is known to exist and has dogs or cats that go outside should already be getting them vaccinated for rabies. Just for kicks, Jo, why don't you look up all the people who have contracted rabies and survived. Tetanus, too.

And you should be up-to-date on your tetanus already so you don't have to run into the ER to get a tetanus booster. If you're not and refuse to do so, you're just trying to take yourself out of the gene pool.

And rat bites are no joke. I knew a woman who had to get 6 stitches for a rat bite. And since you obviously know next to nothing about rats, here's a little lesson for you: Most wild rats and 50% of tame rats carry rat bite fever. This can be passed on to people and some people have died from it. Don't you even start to tell me how rare it is. When I lived on a horseboarding stable, we got a bunch of rats in on a load of hay. They gnawed their way into my trailer and attacked my pet mice. The mice began to die and my vet sent one of the bodies up to UC Davis and the diagnosis was rat bite fever. You can look up rat bite fever and how it's spread - I really don't feel like doing it for you.

I'm not telling you to tell your daughter's friend to get rid of her rats. I'm telling you how exposure to a wild animal carrying a disease can harm both them and you.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:24 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Every death is sad, and deaths due to medical errors are especially sad. We don't really know what all happened in this incident. If the facts are as described elsewhere in this thread, it's clear that more education and training is needed. This all costs money, which is in short supply in the developing world. Just yesterday, I bought a UNICEF Halloween card, the profits of which will go to childhood vaccines. "Trick or Treat for UNICEF" is a time-honored way to raise money for vaccineshttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trick-or-Treat_for_UNICEF#/media/File:2012-logo-trick-or-treat-for-unicef.png
Indeed we don't know, but we'll find out.

Its pretty clear the problem isn't the vaccine or we'd have dead people here in the USA who had just gotten the same vaccine.

That poster continues her strategy of trying to "pick a little hole here" and "poke a little hole there". Never does she offer anything resembling a real explanation. In the end, scare tactics are immensely counterproductive because they keep us from focusing on the real problems which are probably the way the vaccine was stored or the way it was given.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:34 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times

Very interesting that there is far more purple on the East Coast, especially the NE, than on the West Coast. More anti-vax people there than in California?

Old 09-27-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Very interesting that there is far more purple on the East Coast, especially the NE, than on the West Coast. More anti-vax people there than in California?
Possibly. It's all over. The states with the most lenient exemption laws have the lowest IZ rates, and it's not always the"progressive" states that have the strictest laws.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:54 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Dying after getting the vaccine is not the same as dying from getting the vaccine, a fact that the entire anti-vaccine community refuses to accept.

Autopsy results are pending, but the fact remains that the vaccines were administered by someone identified as a "cleaner" and the vaccines were stored in the same refrigerator as laboratory chemicals. The vaccine had to be reconstituted with a specific diluent, and it seems highly probable that the "cleaner" did not use the correct product to do that and quite possibly used something poisonous.

The same lot of vaccine was used elsewhere in the country with no problems, which is a pretty good sign that the vaccine itself is not responsible for the deaths.
So the vaccine didn't kill them but an error in storage. Gotcha...
Just like the person who died of measles actually died of pneumonia.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:21 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
they've never been outside their small town or church group, and they don't know about modern day science. that's the only conclusion I could come to.. this whole anti vaxxer movement makes America look like one big basket case.
Actually he's partially right. The virus has never been isolated in a HUMAN. If you have a photo of the virus labeled "isolated in human" feel free to post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events