Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2015, 07:55 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Actually not quite, because from what I understand you do not get only a Tetantus vaccination but Diphtheria booster along with it. Today, I think they also give that new Pertussis booster with it.

So for someone who has never gotten a Tetanus vax for wound, they probably would not have gotten the other two either. Do any of those vaccines in childhood give lifetime immunity? Certainly doesn't seem so for whooping cough.
Yes, tetanus needs boosters.

Yes, diphtheria needs boosters.

Yes, whooping cough needs boosters.

Yes, the boosters are given as tetanus + diphtheria or tetanus + diphtheria + whooping cough every ten years. The version with whooping cough needs to be given only once except for pregnant women, for whom it is recommended with each pregnancy in order for mom to increase her antibody level to protect the newborn against whooping cough.

Why do anti-vax folks have this obsession with the need for boosters?

Tetanus, if you survive it, does not produce life long immunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 11:32 PM

7,026 posts, read 4,901,566 times
Quote:
Yes, the old "luck" theory. I cannot even count the number of times I have cut myself with my kitchen knives over decades. Wow, maybe I need to play the lottery since I have so much "luck".
You should. Tetanus is like rabies, there's no cure for it. So the tetanus shot is to keep you from getting it. You get tetanus, you're dead. You want to be buried or cremated?

Tetanus boosters are usually every ten years unless you work with animals. Then you get the booster more often.

I was bitten by a pet rat one evening and by morning, my thumb was swollen up and red. I went into the ER and got a prescription for antibiotics and the doctor asked me when my last tetanus shot was. I was trying to remember what year and I guess I took too long, because he went "Beeeep! Wrong answer. It's today!" So I got a tetanus shot and I didn't have to get it with any other vaccine. Now when I got my last tetanus shot, it was in 2012 and I got the TDaP. I asked for that because I have never had diphtheria or whooping cough (and there was an epidemic of that going around in Washington state).

Old 09-25-2015, 05:44 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes, tetanus needs boosters.

Yes, diphtheria needs boosters.

Yes, whooping cough needs boosters.

Yes, the boosters are given as tetanus + diphtheria or tetanus + diphtheria + whooping cough every ten years. The version with whooping cough needs to be given only once except for pregnant women, for whom it is recommended with each pregnancy in order for mom to increase her antibody level to protect the newborn against whooping cough.

Why do anti-vax folks have this obsession with the need for boosters?

Tetanus, if you survive it, does not produce life long immunity.
If a vaccination in childhood does not give lifetime immunity, then you will not achieve Herd Immunity by simply forcing every single child to be vaccinated. Maybe why whooping cough was never eradicated in this country? Wanes with time and the need for boosters in adulthood.

Better work on a better Pertussis vax in childhood so you don't have to depend on boosters in adulthood.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:07 AM

1,316 posts, read 749,163 times
Quote:
If a vaccination in childhood does not give lifetime immunity, then you will not achieve Herd Immunity by simply forcing every single child to be vaccinated. Maybe why whooping cough was never eradicated in this country? Wanes with time and the need for boosters in adulthood.

Better work on a better Pertussis vax in childhood so you don't have to depend on boosters in adulthood.
It isn't 100% perfect forever & ever, so in Jo48 world, it's completely worthless? What kind of logic is that?

If enough children are protected against pertussis in a school, for example, then one of the breeding grounds for the disease becomes inhospitable, and those children are less likely to carry it home to possibly unprotected adults & infants. The children in the class that are also unprotected are less likely to be exposed. And that is good.

Not getting sick=good. Really.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:09 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You should. Tetanus is like rabies, there's no cure for it. So the tetanus shot is to keep you from getting it. You get tetanus, you're dead. You want to be buried or cremated?

Tetanus boosters are usually every ten years unless you work with animals. Then you get the booster more often.

I was bitten by a pet rat one evening and by morning, my thumb was swollen up and red. I went into the ER and got a prescription for antibiotics and the doctor asked me when my last tetanus shot was. I was trying to remember what year and I guess I took too long, because he went "Beeeep! Wrong answer. It's today!" So I got a tetanus shot and I didn't have to get it with any other vaccine. Now when I got my last tetanus shot, it was in 2012 and I got the TDaP. I asked for that because I have never had diphtheria or whooping cough (and there was an epidemic of that going around in Washington state).
I have had pet cats all my life. Oh, my, how many times have they bit me? Impossible to fathom over 67 years.Swell up? I am sure that has also happened but I certainly cannot remember when or how many times.

So when a person's pet cat or dog bites or scratches them they must make sure they are up to take on that Tetanus shot? Get a rabies shot too? Can you imagine what the ER's would look like if they did that for their own pets? Maybe a strange or stray animal for a rabies shot, but your OWN PET? Come on.

Never had a pet rat, but saw quite a few growing up on the streets of NY. My daughter has a friend who has 2 pet rats and 2 pet cats. Yes, both species coexist and have the run of the house. She is now pregnant with her first. Guess she had better get rid of those pet rats, and the cats, before the baby comes. What potential for disease there!

Old 09-25-2015, 07:04 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Before we had widely available vaccines, thousands upon thousands died or were permanently disabled by small pox, measles, mumps, rubella, pertussis, tetanus, diphtheria, influenza, polio, etc., etc. …

Get OVER it, already … Join the modern world ...
Thank you for saying what needed to be said. Sadly not all countries are industrialized and as sanitary as the US is. It is a strawman to use another country to slander vaccinations in America.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:59 AM

1,316 posts, read 749,163 times
Quote:
I have had pet cats all my life. Oh, my, how many times have they bit me? Impossible to fathom over 67 years.Swell up? I am sure that has also happened but I certainly cannot remember when or how many times.

So when a person's pet cat or dog bites or scratches them they must make sure they are up to take on that Tetanus shot? Get a rabies shot too? Can you imagine what the ER's would look like if they did that for their own pets? Maybe a strange or stray animal for a rabies shot, but your OWN PET? Come on.

Never had a pet rat, but saw quite a few growing up on the streets of NY. My daughter has a friend who has 2 pet rats and 2 pet cats. Yes, both species coexist and have the run of the house. She is now pregnant with her first. Guess she had better get rid of those pet rats, and the cats, before the baby comes. What potential for disease there!
So, it's all just a big lie? A conspiracy? Do you think these things don't exist simply because they don't harm you personally? I don't understand your perspective, how this is all some big joke on everyone.

Again, the chances of my indoor cat, who has never escaped the house, giving me rabies or tetanus is very remote. When I have bats & mice in my basement, chances go up, but probably not by much . The cat gets out once in awhile, or is an outdoor beastie, they go up. Is the risk high? Probably not. But then my cat is not the only source of disease I may come into contact with. So, I take prudent action to protect myself and my dear ones. Because I don't have to risk dying of tetanus, or my children dying of it. It does not make me an idiot. It makes me intelligent to choose something so simple, so small, to prevent something that could be devastating. My dear ones are worth it, and I pity yours, that somehow you've passed on this cavalier attitude that somehow you are above everyone else & nothing bad will happen"lol smilie hahaha."

Old 09-25-2015, 08:17 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,321,986 times
Quote:

Its been explained to you several times over that while the whooping cough vaccine doesn't prevent all whooping cough that it has dramatically reduced both the cases of whooping cough and deaths from whooping cough.

Prior to the introduction of the vaccine in the 1940's, there were approximately 8,000 deaths (primarily among infants and young children) from this disease. Today, in a country with a much larger population the deaths number about 20 or less per year.

The whooping cough vaccine has been very effective. Hopefully, it will someday become even better.

I've talked to adults who had the whooping cough and they describe a truly miserable experience. You can cough all night long. You can cough so hard you break a rib in the process. You can cough so hard that you choke and vomit.

I'm grateful for the protection from this disease that the TDaP vaccination gives us. Its a pity that no amount of statistics, numbers, or information can convince you on this point. There are none so blind as those who will not see.....

Old 09-25-2015, 08:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:

Pertussis disease does not give lifetime immunity either. Pertussis is a hard disease to control. The vaccine does the best it can. And why is needing a ONE TIME booster in adulthood (unless you're pregnant) such a big deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
So, it's all just a big lie? A conspiracy? Do you think these things don't exist simply because they don't harm you personally? I don't understand your perspective, how this is all some big joke on everyone.

Again, the chances of my indoor cat, who has never escaped the house, giving me rabies or tetanus is very remote. When I have bats & mice in my basement, chances go up, but probably not by much . The cat gets out once in awhile, or is an outdoor beastie, they go up. Is the risk high? Probably not. But then my cat is not the only source of disease I may come into contact with. So, I take prudent action to protect myself and my dear ones. Because I don't have to risk dying of tetanus, or my children dying of it. It does not make me an idiot. It makes me intelligent to choose something so simple, so small, to prevent something that could be devastating. My dear ones are worth it, and I pity yours, that somehow you've passed on this cavalier attitude that somehow you are above everyone else & nothing bad will happen"lol smilie hahaha."
I agree. This constant sarcasm about people who get sick is very annoying. Maybe having such a super-duper immune system creates an anti-vax mentality, I don't know.

BTW, Jo, no one has ever recommended that pregnant women get rid of their pets. What was that all about?

Old 09-25-2015, 12:55 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
My daughter has a friend who has 2 pet rats and 2 pet cats. Yes, both species coexist and have the run of the house. She is now pregnant with her first. Guess she had better get rid of those pet rats, and the cats, before the baby comes. What potential for disease there!
Yes, the potential for disease is there. Perhaps she is already aware of that. Some of those diseases can harm her unborn baby if she is infected during pregnancy.

Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Virus from Pet Rodents | Healthy Pets Healthy People | CDC

Salmonella from Pocket Pets | Healthy Pets Healthy People | CDC

CDC - Toxoplasmosis - General Information - Pregnant Women
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events