Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 04:47 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Unless you are a part of your family then that means that you know very little as well, just like everyone else.

There is so little information on this. Without any information at all, how can anyone believe this? Even WA state diseases surveillance stats don't back this up. When you hear the news story of two infants dying after being injected with a measles vaccine, you refuse to believe it so what's the difference? One suits your agenda, the other does not. I'm keeping an open mind about both.
The surveillance stats always lag behind. It's a fairly easy concept to understand.

Why would the same agency that compiles the stats create a hoax about a measles death? If it were a hoax for some reason, why not include it in the stats? Why not make up dozens of deaths rather than just one? If you have any source showing that the Washington State department of health is lying about a woman dying from measles pneumonia, I would be eager to read it.

What we know is that a woman died from measles in Washington State and that although she had been vaccinated she was immunosuppressed and the vaccine could not protect her. Autopsy showed that she died from measles pneumonia.

This death shows us that vaccine mandates are necessary. This measles victim was in one of the categories that we need high vaccination rates to protect.

Quote:
We'll have to wait and see. Did they really receive vaccinations from the exact same batch. Any evidence of that? It very well could be a handling error and if so that needs to be addressed as well. Babies died, babies went to the hospital. Its tragic no matter what happened. This doesn't even need to be a vaccine debate, it's something that happened in the world thus the reason why it's in the Current Events section.
Yes, it is tragic. However it is an indictment of the inadequacies of medical care in some areas of Kenya, not proof that measles vaccine is not safe. The whole reason this thread exists is because the original poster is trying to say measles vaccine is dangerous.

I guess someone could lie about the batch number. It's on every dose. If there is concern about a vaccine, the very first thing that is done is to check the other recipients of the batch and pull the remaining doses until the vaccine is eliminated as a cause of the problem. It seems that any time an inconvenient fact discredits something you believe, someone must be lying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 04:50 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,138,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Before we had widely available vaccines, thousands upon thousands died or were permanently disabled by small pox, measles, mumps, rubella, pertussis, tetanus, diphtheria, influenza, polio, etc., etc. …

Get OVER it, already … Join the modern world ...
Do you have stats on this thousands upon thousands dying for permanently disabled by the viruses you list? When ever I read an article on everything but polio, the person that dies already had a serious, life threatening condition. Mom had small pox, everyone at school had MMR, and we have never had the flu shot............ So, links to these thousands and thousands of deaths and permanent disabilities, please.

Note, that we are both in our 60s and healthy and on no medications as is our adult son with DS. It pays to look at the possible results on down the road and do a little research rather than just listening to the news media.

Thousands and thousands? Look into the future of all the illnesses that are coming out of no where and there aren't immunizations for them and medical science isn't offering any reasons why they are appearing so frequently now.

Hey, "the CDC says"

Old 09-28-2015, 04:54 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
It's mind numbing the "majoring in the minors". Vaccines save hundreds of thousands of lives and you post over and over ad nauseum about why you don't know more about the private medical history of a women iwho died of pneumonia related to measles. Do you think measles doesn't kill people? Smallpox? polio? What's your actual point???? Do you think these diseases are fictional???

You and katonj try to make a huge deal out of two people out of hundreds of thousands who are sick, in Africa, most probably due to the fact that the circumstances surrounding that vaccine are questionable at best.

it is a sign of the profound failure of your anti-science agenda that this is the best you can come up with to point to vaccines being a problem. The hundreds of thousands who DIDNT get sick are busy leading their lives, but aren't the people that were protected from these deadly illnesses even a little relevant to your conspiracy theories?
This isn't a vaccine debate, tlvancouver. The topic is about two children who died after getting the measles vaccine in Kenya. It could have been from improper use or it could have been from the vaccine. It's tragic no matter what. Your response to my post doesn't even make sense since you aren't actually responding to anything I said. Why so defensive?

Old 09-28-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The surveillance stats always lag behind. It's a fairly easy concept to understand.

Why would the same agency that compiles the stats create a hoax about a measles death? If it were a hoax for some reason, why not include it in the stats? Why not make up dozens of deaths rather than just one? If you have any source showing that the Washington State department of health is lying about a woman dying from measles pneumonia, I would be eager to read it.

What we know is that a woman died from measles in Washington State and that although she had been vaccinated she was immunosuppressed and the vaccine could not protect her. Autopsy showed that she died from measles pneumonia.

This death shows us that vaccine mandates are necessary. This measles victim was in one of the categories that we need high vaccination rates to protect.
Look, you can make all of the excuses that you like. If you want to just blindly trust authorities, be my guest. I'd like at least some evidence. "Because I said so" is not evidence.

Quote:
Yes, it is tragic. However it is an indictment of the inadequacies of medical care in some areas of Kenya, not proof that measles vaccine is not safe. The whole reason this thread exists is because the original poster is trying to say measles vaccine is dangerous.
You don't know that. You're jumping to conclusions. What you are doing is no different then someone claiming that the vaccine killed them.

Quote:
I guess someone could lie about the batch number. It's on every dose. If there is concern about a vaccine, the very first thing that is done is to check the other recipients of the batch and pull the remaining doses until the vaccine is eliminated as a cause of the problem. It seems that any time an inconvenient fact discredits something you believe, someone must be lying.
Are you sure it was the same batch? You're quite guilty of ignoring anything that does not support your pro vaccine for everyone agenda so I wouldn't be so quick to throw stones. I'm asking questions. I'm not even saying that the vaccine was at fault. I'm saying that we don't know. That is somehow threatening to you, Mark and tlvancouver for some reason. Hopefully we'll hear the results of the investigation that is supposedly going to happen.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:10 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Look, you can make all of the excuses that you like. If you want to just blindly trust authorities, be my guest. I'd like at least some evidence. "Because I sad so" is not evidence.

You don't know that. You're jumping to conclusions. What you are doing is no different then someone claiming that the vaccine killed them.

Are you sure it was the same batch? You're quite guilty of ignoring anything that does not support your pro vaccine for everyone agenda so I wouldn't be so quick to throw stones. I'm asking questions. I'm not even saying that the vaccine was at fault. I'm saying that we don't know. That is somehow threatening to you, Mark and tlvancouver for some reason. Hopefully we'll hear the results of the investigation that is supposedly going to happen.
I thought you said 3 minutes ago it wasn't a vaccine debate?

The original post tried to use facts that had already been discredited as some sort of tenuous support for the anti vax agenda. Absurd. There is no "panic"

Following (instead of ignoring) the information we DO have is not "jumping to conclusions". I can assure you that you're unlikely to see headlines touting "2 die from hygiene, unqualified immunizer and questionable storage". From what I inderstand that is very very common so I wouldn't hold your breath about the "investigation". To be very clear, I would unequivocally support vaccines (and mandates) even if every piece of evidence attributed this to the vaccine in this case - hundreds of thousands instead of two. But that is not the way the facts appear

Why not channel all your anti vax drama into improving hygiene and health practices? That's something most people can get behind because it's actually good science and medicine.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:18 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Also the woman in Washington was vaccinated... that could be why they found it in autopsy yet she had no symptoms. She died from pneumonia not measles.
She died from pneumonia caused directly by the measles virus. That is how the diagnosis was made at autopsy. The effect of the virus on the lungs can be seen under the microscope.

Pneumonia just means inflammation of the lung. Many viruses, including measles, can cause pneumonia. Chickenpox can cause pneumonia. Influenza causes pneumonia.

Photomicrograph of lung tissus with giant cells pneumonia measles pneumonia. PHA-085035 © CDC-EDWIN/PHANIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v80kA_dt6EE

Her case is similar to this one:

Unusual Presentation of Measles Giant Cell Pneumonia in a Patient with Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome

Old 09-28-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
I thought you said 3 minutes ago it wasn't a vaccine debate?
It sounds like you are struggling to comprehend my post.

Quote:
Following (instead of ignoring) the information we DO have is not "jumping to conclusions". I can assure you that you're unlikely to see headlines touting "2 die from hygiene, unqualified immunizer and questionable storage". From what I inderstand that is very very common so I wouldn't hold your breath about the "investigation". To be very clear, I would unequivocally support vaccines (and mandates) even if every piece of evidence attributed this to the vaccine in this case - hundreds of thousands instead of two. But that is not the way the facts appear
I've been following this story and as of yet there is no evidence as to what caused the death. All we know is that two babies died and several more were hospitalized after getting vaccinated. It could have been improper handling, a mix up or it could have been the vaccine. No one knows as of yet. If you have the results of the investigation, please share.

Quote:
Why not channel all your anti vax drama into improving hygiene and health practices? That's something most people can get behind because it's actually good science and medicine.
I'm not debating vaccines, tlvacnouver and I'm not the one being dramatic.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:28 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Do you have stats on this thousands upon thousands dying for permanently disabled by the viruses you list? When ever I read an article on everything but polio, the person that dies already had a serious, life threatening condition. Mom had small pox, everyone at school had MMR, and we have never had the flu shot............ So, links to these thousands and thousands of deaths and permanent disabilities, please.

Note, that we are both in our 60s and healthy and on no medications as is our adult son with DS. It pays to look at the possible results on down the road and do a little research rather than just listening to the news media.

Thousands and thousands? Look into the future of all the illnesses that are coming out of no where and there aren't immunizations for them and medical science isn't offering any reasons why they are appearing so frequently now.

Hey, "the CDC says"
An article with info on deaths from flu: http://http://pediatrics.about.com/o...s-from-flu.htm Any number of articles exist for any of the diseases we've been discussing. Why do you assume anyone arguing for the use of vaccines hasn't done research? Of course we have.

And your personal experience does not stand for how a disease behaves within a large population. You are blessed with good health. That is wonderful. But not everyone has that same experience. A "no big deal" to you could be a very serious incident for someone else. Please bear that in mind.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:31 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,533,061 times
Quote:
The photos I previously showed you are of Ebola virus in humans. The photo taken in 1976 is from virus isolated from a human and then grown in cell culture. That is how viral isolation is performed.

Laboratory Diagnostic Systems for Ebola and Marburg Hemorrhagic Fevers Developed with Recombinant Proteins

Are you seriously stating that humans do not get Ebola? If so, your credibility, already pretty much non-existent concerning virology, is well and truly dead.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/14/us...bola.html?_r=0

"At the peak of illness, an Ebola patient can have 10 billion viral particles in one-fifth of a teaspoon of blood. That compares with 50,000 to 100,000 particles in an untreated H.I.V. patient, and five million to 20 million in someone with untreated hepatitis C."

Ebola replicates rapidly in humans, killing them fairly quickly.

You do not develop antibodies to Ebola if you have not had it (or have not taken one of the vaccines being developed against it.

PCR detects the DNA or RNA of the virus being tested for, not "only parts of what they think are parts of the virus", but real viral DNA or RNA. Ebola is an RNA virus.

PCR and antibody tests do not need virus capable of replicating. Material being tested can be treated to inactivate the virus and reduce the risk of exposure of lab personnel. Isolation of the virus must be performed in a level 4 lab because of the hazards associated with handling infectious material. Isolation is not used for diagnosis.
The photo from that particular link you shared was a stock photo not one taken in 1970. It was first used on a page about bacteria. I research images all the time in my line of work so I am 99% sure that the photo is not Ebola from diseased human tissue. (Also, I'm pretty sure the one from 1976 would be black and white but that's not really important.)

CGI: Mimicking SEM of stigmatic papillae of Arabidopsis - Gappy Facets

Old 09-28-2015, 05:35 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,533,061 times
Quote:

Why the need for several deaths? Her death happened in April but was reported just 1 day after the bill passed in CA. That is why it is suspicious that there was so little information and not part of official stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events