Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 12:15 PM

5,861 posts, read 3,299,469 times

Advertisements

Very rarely do I advocate violence on someone. However that SOB got everything he deserved!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 12:19 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
He didn't slap him he punched him!

And for the record that bloke who stopped it is a hero and a much better bloke than me I would have done the bullies ankles as well

Old 11-03-2015, 12:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
There was once a time when the teachers, the principal, and students alike could beat you. Students at one time had the green card to give bullies a taste of their own medicine. Maybe it's time to bring that back.
Well yeah but especially with teachers and principals putting their hands on students it would get abusive fast.

As for students, not hitting bullies is an unintended consequence. People also never talked about bullying although until it was years later. Whether that was or wasn't because of "whining" is another issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
This is how schools have elected to operate, with increasing zeal, for two or more decades. With almost no exceptions, "No Tolerance" is inherently synonymous with 'No Self-Defense.' Such policy clearly deviates from the universally accepted legal principle that one may respond with reasonable and proportionate force in order to prevent injury to themselves or to those around them.

There's something fundamentally wrong with telling children that they have to accept and take (or idly observe) a physical beating in order to stay in school as well as out of prison.
Think of it this way, school is microcosm of the real world. Even before schools had zero-tolerance, one could be jailed or fined for self-defense in a fight despite not throwing the first punch. I've often said that the main difference now is that schools expedite the verdict and punishment faster than the traditional legal system. Why, because these actions require swifter responses. Schools can't let cases go a year or so because students may move or be redistricted so they need to issue, detention, mega detentions, in-school suspensions and suspensions rather fast. Expulsions however is a different story altogether due to the severity but it still don't take a year.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:38 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,631,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
That wasn't a Sucker Punch. It was the right thing to do. If you're going to stop a fight, strike hard and fast. Only a PC pansy would try to reason with a punk who is beating up a smaller child, blind or not.
Completely agree. The only downside of "one-punching" a piece of trash like that is that when he's lying there unconscious, it's generally considered bad form to keep driving your fist into his face over and over again. So he gets off much easier than he deserved. Pity.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:49 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGirl1002

What is this world coming to? Bullying is out of control
Yes scary and sad..........

Old 11-03-2015, 10:45 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Kids these days aren't being raised right. Not all, but it seems a hell of a lot.
Agreed. It is getting bad. At this rate kids will be as unruly as they were in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Kids these days aren't being raised right. Not all, but it seems a hell of a lot.
It's a reflection on parenting or a lack there of.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:20 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Don't bring literature into these threads; you are going over most heads.
Have you ever heard the audio-book version of WF? It's far different than reading it.
Explain (with reference to the audio-book of Jack London's White Fang).

Old 11-04-2015, 04:21 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It's a reflection on parenting or a lack there of.
Well "good parenting" gets punished as well for educating their own children on bullying.

My older son is 17 months older than my younger son, but disproportionately stronger. My younger son is also on the high-functioning end of the autism spectrum. The two generally enjoy an extraordinarily close and positive relationship.

In June 2008 my older son was getting a bit rowdy with my younger son. I sat my older son down on the stairs and told him in a stern voice that he is "never to pick on anyone smaller or weaker than him, for any reason." I thought nothing of it, just being a father.

That October my younger son was bothering his brother at school. My wife and I asked the school to separate them during the day as much as possible. The school psychologist called my older son in and asked him, for no reason, if h is "parents had ever done anything that frightened him." He told her that his father (me) had "put him on the stairs" the prior spring, and lectured him. The school recorded that I "pushed him down the stairs." My older son in vain tried to correct the report. The result was that we were "investigated" by Child Protective Services. A couple of months later we went to the superintendent to try to get the blemish cleared off my record. He said he "wished that more parents would do what I did" about bullying. I said "not if you call Child Protective Services."

The moral of the story; that the schools talk a good line about bullying but don't walk that line.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Well "good parenting" gets punished as well for educating their own children on bullying.

My older son is 17 months older than my younger son, but disproportionately stronger. My younger son is also on the high-functioning end of the autism spectrum. The two generally enjoy an extraordinarily close and positive relationship.

In June 2008 my older son was getting a bit rowdy with my younger son. I sat my older son down on the stairs and told him in a stern voice that he is "never to pick on anyone smaller or weaker than him, for any reason." I thought nothing of it, just being a father.

That October my younger son was bothering his brother at school. My wife and I asked the school to separate them during the day as much as possible. The school psychologist called my older son in and asked him, for no reason, if h is "parents had ever done anything that frightened him." He told her that his father (me) had "put him on the stairs" the prior spring, and lectured him. The school recorded that I "pushed him down the stairs." My older son in vain tried to correct the report. The result was that we were "investigated" by Child Protective Services. A couple of months later we went to the superintendent to try to get the blemish cleared off my record. He said he "wished that more parents would do what I did" about bullying. I said "not if you call Child Protective Services."

The moral of the story; that the schools talk a good line about bullying but don't walk that line.
Even still, parents that don't or can't set boundaries on their children will have problems. That is the point I was making about the reflection on parenting or a lack there of. Not that good parents are undermined by CPS being called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events