Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 08:51 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I don't feel good about the way people act without the whole story that is for sure. What can the media say about one kid punching another kid? Hmmm, well if we call one blind, which I don't think he is because they slipped in visually impaired and maybe we call one a bully, since it is a buzz word and people love that someone would bully a bully. We know nothing about this dumb story, but we are ready to hang the one KID that the media portrays as the first "bully". Come on, are people really believing the media's representation of anything? From Faux News, to NPR it is all pretty hyped up and ridiculous. I wouldn't trust any news source with the money that is involved in such a thing these days. Sad people aren't questioning this story and taking it as some sort of fact. What a JOKE!

What happened before the kid wanted to "slap" the other kid? What was said or done? No one knows or cares, it is all about some so-called blind kid getting bullied. It was at least a "slap", but it got to be a "punch" over time to create more anger and money for advertisers.
It's amazing to watch what transpires on these threads. People are so hell bent on trying to stand out on these forums that they will reach to any argument to be relevant on a thread with so many of the same opinions. In your case, everyone is properly calling out the bully for hitting a handicapped kid. Whether he is blind or visually impaired makes no difference but you sought to call that out. Now, you are trying to say: "Well maybe the kid deserved it because "we don't know what was said first" ie play Devil's Advocate. And now let's resort to the "We are being played by the media"

This gamesmanship is just disgusting. This is nothing other than a way to play devil's advocate and somehow rationalize a kid getting beaten up. And unfortunately, this type of thinking prevails among administrators and teachers who always punish both participants in a fight when one person is a victim.

Sorry, I'm not following for your games either. You are just trying to play everyone else too by suggesting somehow that the "bully" was not in fact a bully and this whole matter is just being contrived for media sensationalism; talk about b.s.! Anyone can see that you are simply trying to argue the other side to make your post relevant instead of simply stating the truth: a handicapped kid got bullied and was saved by someone else who arrived on the scene. That is all that needs to be said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 12:04 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If you've never been bullied this doesn't mean that much to you ,(you were probably one of those as a kid that watched in stead of stepping in) on the other hand those that have been the victim of bullying it means a great deal. No one ever stepped in on my behalf in very similar situations.
I, too, was bullied (physically) back in school and no one ever came to defend me. Like, never ever. And I was never able to tell any of the teachers because I didn't speak a word of English back then. I did get detention because the white kids would beat me and then tell the principal I was the one beating them. Since I didn't speak English back then, I was not able to defend myself.

Added by edit.

I did get the last laugh, though. I recently spotted one of my former bullies working as a bagger at a Jewel-Osco. I'm a middle manager at a large engineering firm. I guess he's not so tough anymore.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
This is a great point. And yes, the kid did get kicked off the football team unless something recently changed that I didn't see in the media:

Huntington Beach High School student Cody Pine who defended blind classmate is SUSPENDED | Daily Mail Online

This is beyond absurd to me. What about all the other kids that were suppose to be standing around just watching/doing nothing to help this poor blind kid? My logic says if anyone is going to get kicked out of school, it's those who did nothing in trying to help this blind kid.

And we wonder why we have a society that often stands by when someone is in need of help/is in trouble. It's being taught right in the schools that it's ok and those who help/do a good deed are to be punished.
Ever heard of the bystander effect? Well, the school administrators are taking it to another level by institutionalizing it. The next time a disabled kid gets bullied, any would-be defender will think twice before intervening.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:26 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,445,455 times
A) This is exactly why I don't have kids B) If that was my blind son and I saw this whole thing happen-I would go over the parents house of the kid who was beating up my kid and beat both their asses and their kids ass in. Then I would have gone to the kids house who hit the kid beating up my kid and given them cash on the spot and congratulated them for not raising a POS.

Are you m-fing-kidding me???

Old 09-26-2015, 12:30 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
I don't feel good about the way people act without the whole story that is for sure. What can the media say about one kid punching another kid? Hmmm, well if we call one blind, which I don't think he is because they slipped in visually impaired and maybe we call one a bully, since it is a buzz word and people love that someone would bully a bully. We know nothing about this dumb story, but we are ready to hang the one KID that the media portrays as the first "bully". Come on, are people really believing the media's representation of anything? From Faux News, to NPR it is all pretty hyped up and ridiculous. I wouldn't trust any news source with the money that is involved in such a thing these days. Sad people aren't questioning this story and taking it as some sort of fact. What a JOKE!

What happened before the kid wanted to "slap" the other kid? What was said or done? No one knows or cares, it is all about some so-called blind kid getting bullied. It was at least a "slap", but it got to be a "punch" over time to create more anger and money for advertisers.
Good to see it's not just sexual assault cases where people blame the victim (see the thread regarding the middle school forced kiss on a dare). It's actually oddly comforting.

Even if the kid did do or say something that caused the bully to beat him, it doesn't mean he should have and it doesn't mean a kid, on school property, can resort to violence.

Regardless of the circumstances prior, the bully took it a step further and started physically assaulting another person. This is never okay, and I don't get why people think violence is okay in a situation like this.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:44 PM

I just realized why I'm feeling so disturbed by how they treated Cody Pines (the guy that defended the blind kid). I see him as the kid who stood up on my behalf to defend me against the bullies in an alternate timeline. In this timeline, no one ever stood up for me.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:15 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I just realized why I'm feeling so disturbed by how they treated Cody Pines (the guy that defended the blind kid). I see him as the kid who stood up on my behalf to defend me against the bullies in an alternate timeline. In this timeline, no one ever stood up for me.
That sucks.
But I can relate.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:11 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,057,090 times
Bullying is good thing, imo. I was bullied when I was younger. I fought back against them, defended myself, and, ultimately, won. That gave me confidence and I've been pretty successful in life. I can't say that it was completely because of this, but it certainly helped.

People need to stop whining about bullies and fight their own battles.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:37 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
Bullying is good thing, imo. I was bullied when I was younger. I fought back against them, defended myself, and, ultimately, won. That gave me confidence and I've been pretty successful in life. I can't say that it was completely because of this, but it certainly helped.

People need to stop whining about bullies and fight their own battles.
The blind kid can probably fight off the bully well.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:58 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:

While this story might not be accurately portrayed, that has never stopped the liberal media from trying to hype racial tensions while ignoring the facts. It was not FOX news who created the doctored 911 tape of Zimmerman, that was NBC as I recall. Nor was FOX creating the false narratives of the "Gentle Giant" and "Hands Up Don't Shoot" which has been used as the foundation of the absurd Black Lives Matter group.
So while you did mention at least one liberal news source in NPR, you deride FOX when I'd like to see some real examples of where they are "Faux News".

Many a FOX critic when asked to give even one example of false reporting or lies, fails to do so. I am sure they have made mistakes, and even some of their political talking heads have hyped up some stories. However the attempt to delegitimize FOX by the liberal social media hit parade and Obama Administration has proved to be a failure. That is due to FOX being the most watched and respected news channel.

BTW - I don't care if the kid is legally blind, visually impaired, or has some other disability. I also don't care if they said something wrong because words are not suppose to equate to physical assault. The video showed a kid clearly not capable of defending himself, and a good Samaritan disengaging the thug attacking him. Unless it is proved to be a fake/staged video, I am happy the punk got his comeuppance.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events