Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the teacher went too far by saying God is a myth?
Yes, she took it too far .... 82 68.33%
No, she acted reasonable in front of the class... 38 31.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 12:57 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
Here's my question ... are we taking the little girl's word that the teacher said "God is a myth"? Or did the teacher actually say "God is not a fact" or "God is a common assertion," which would be in accordance with the lesson.

I don't see anything wrong with teaching in school that matters of religion are not fact. And frankly, I don't know of many denominations that actually teach that God is fact. They mostly teach that they have faith in God, and that faith is defined as belief in things that cannot be seen or proven. So I have a feeling that the lesson wasn't actually counter to the teachings of her religion, just her incorrect understanding.
Epistemology was not your subject, was it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 12:58 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Thank you, for exonerating the teacher with this statement! This is exactly what she taught, in telling the kids Common Assertion was the correct answer:

Commonplace Assertion: A statement that many people assume to be
true, but it can’t be proven.

So what then are people so offended by?

The really ironic thing is I recognize some of these posters who claim to be against being "PC", but apparently only when it applies to non-white, non-Christian groups.
Yup. It seems that the students failed to get the point of the lesson, as did, apparently the parents, the school admin, and most of the people here.

"There is a God" is a commonplace assertion, just like "There is no God."
Neither statement can be proved, nor disproved.

Somehow, the teacher let the whole thing get away from her.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
In order to be considered a fact, a statement must be able to be proven.
Not true. Facts exist which are not yet proven and even not yet provable. There is also the very arguable discussion of what constitutes "proof" in one case or another.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:00 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
But I wasn't doing either! I never once said you or anyone should not believe in your "god". I just said to respect my rock!

I think its you who took exception to that.
Oh please. You are still being facetious.

I will respect your rock if you really think it represents a god or religion. But YOU don't. You're just playing around.

Calling a religion a "fairytale" is certainly being condescending and unnecessarily rude. Again, if you don't see it...

Old 11-03-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
This had nothing to do with religion. It was about determining the differences between verifiable fact, opinion, and commonplace assertion. To me, the statement that there is a God is the very epitome of a commonplace assertion. A teacher who had been around longer than a year would probably know to use Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy as an example instead, but this was a first-year teacher probably fresh out of college. She over-estimated her students' critical thinking abilities.
No, she overestimated her own understanding of what constitutes "evidence," "proof," and "fact."

Old 11-03-2015, 01:04 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Oh please. You are still being facetious.

I will respect your rock if you really think it represents a god or religion. But YOU don't. You're just playing around.

Calling a religion a "fairytale" is certainly being condescending and unnecessarily rude. Again, if you don't see it...
Shhh...my rock is speaking to me. Religion is a fairy tale to ME..it is not to those who believe. Does that make sense?

Old 11-03-2015, 01:05 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Shhh...my rock is speaking to me. Religion is a fairy tale to ME..it is not to those who believe. Does that make sense?

Old 11-03-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

this is why religion is a BAD topic

Old 11-03-2015, 01:08 PM

280 posts, read 325,787 times
This made me laugh out loud:

"In New York, California, Vermont, the liberal states, I could totally see this as happening," Jordan's mom said. "But in Houston, Texas, where it's red, white, and blue, and stars all over, and God bless the USA, and 'Don't Mess With Texas', you know, Texas is messing with my kid."

Old 11-03-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmtcm View Post
This made me laugh out loud:

"In New York, California, Vermont, the liberal states, I could totally see this as happening," Jordan's mom said. "But in Houston, Texas, where it's red, white, and blue, and stars all over, and God bless the USA, and 'Don't Mess With Texas', you know, Texas is messing with my kid."
? I think it would be the other way around ...right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events