Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the teacher went too far by saying God is a myth?
Yes, she took it too far .... 82 68.33%
No, she acted reasonable in front of the class... 38 31.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 10:30 AM

1,431 posts, read 912,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes, lets keep them sheltered and ignorant. I've got a kid in 7th grade I don't see a problem with discussing politics (political science) and other taboo subjects like sex ed, or current events or even religion in historical context. I discuss these topics with him.
That's how you interpreted my statement? Interesting. What I was alluding to is that it shouldn't be discussed in school because lot of kids aren't emotionally or mentally stable at that age, especially during puberty. If your kid can handle it and you wish to discuss those topics with him at home, I think that's great. Certain conversations should remain at the house though. Situations like these are what happens when it doesn't. You can't sneeze in modern day America without offending someone, and the amount of people winning frivolous lawsuits is at an all-time high. Why throw fuel on the flame?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 10:36 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
That's how you interpreted my statement? Interesting. What I was alluding to is that it shouldn't be discussed in school because lot of kids aren't emotionally or mentally stable at that age, especially during puberty. If your kid can handle it and you wish to discuss those topics with him at home, I think that's great. Certain conversations should remain at the house though. Situations like these are what happens when it doesn't. You can't sneeze in modern day America without offending someone, and the amount of people winning frivolous lawsuits is at an all-time high. Why throw fuel on the flame?
There was no conversation or discussion, it was a written assignment, multiple choice whether fact, opinion or common assertion. She never in any way implied God may not exist.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:46 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Well she did. The statement was "There is a God".
I was asking how would this thread be going if the teacher said....."God is Real?" I already know how the left would react.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There was no conversation or discussion, it was a written assignment, multiple choice whether fact, opinion or common assertion. She never in any way implied God may not exist.
Why is this part of the article? You people need to go back and read the article to get the real facts.

Jordan says she and other students argued with the teacher about God being real. That's when she says the teacher told them it became an argument in all of her classes Monday.

So every Monday the teacher does this, I think they need to look into why.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:51 AM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Well she did. The statement was "There is a God".

Yes, lets keep them sheltered and ignorant. I've got a kid in 7th grade I don't see a problem with discussing politics (political science) and other taboo subjects like sex ed, or current events or even religion in historical context. I discuss these topics with him.

That may be the case but it couldn't wait till the next day? Teachers in my area provide their phone # and email and encourage parents and student to contact them after hours if need be.
If you read my other comments on this subject, you would see I agree with you. This mom called the media and went to the school board meeting before talking to the teacher. At least that's my take on it. But judging from the comments here after knowing what the lesson was, I don't think meeting with the teacher would have made her happy anyway. Apparently, people feel 7th graders are too young for any critical thinking lessons if they mention God.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:54 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Santa Claus would not have been appropriate because it is neither fact, opinion or common assertion that Santa exists. It has to be something that people actually believe exists, get it?

This was a lesson in semantics, not God, seems many folks here could use that lesson.

What you don't get is that to those who believe either the existence and non-existence of God as facts--and there are many such people--it is not a "common assertion."

Old 11-04-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
What you don't get is that to those who believe either the existence and non-existence of God as facts--and there are many such people--it is not a "common assertion."
Common assertion means many or most people believe it is true despite concrete evidence. That is the very definition of Faith. Therefore the statement "God exists" IS a common assertion, and you said it yourself. Using the word "believe" only solidifies my point.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:03 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Common assertion means many or most people believe it is true despite concrete evidence.
You made that up. The definition of "common assertion" does not include a necessary factor of "despite concrete evidence."

And again, you're overlooking the very basics of epistemology. Who says there is no "concrete evidence?" What entails "concrete evidence" is an entire philosophical argument that the experts of epistemology have no black or white conclusion for.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:07 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Repeating a falsehood eventually becomes a fib, and imo you've reached that point by claiming 'there was no conversation or discussion.'

Even the school district Superintendent said, "I believe the response from the teacher was, 'Prove your point. Well, I think this. Well, you think that.' "

The class discussed why Common Assertion --- a debatable statement, one that many assume to be true but may not be true -- is the correct answer.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You made that up. The definition of "common assertion" does not include a necessary factor of "despite concrete evidence."

And again, you're overlooking the very basics of epistemology. Who says there is no "concrete evidence?" What entails "concrete evidence" is an entire philosophical argument that the experts of epistemology have no black or white conclusion for.
I didn't make anything up. See definitions below. The difference between fact and common assertion is a fact has objective data that can be seen, measured, etc, a common assertion holds that most people believe it but there is no observable data that can be used to prove it. Therefore semantically, which is what the lesson was about, God's existence is commonly believed to be true but cannot be observed, therefore it's a common assertion.

"A commonplace assertion is an assertion that is held to be true by most people but not backed up with facts."
Examples:
Milk is good for you.
America is the most free country on Earth.

What is the meaning of commonplace assertion?
  1. Distinguishing between a factual claim and a commonplace assertion will help you determine whether the evidence is adequate. Factual claims are statements that can be proved by observation, an expert, or other reliable sources

Old 11-04-2015, 11:25 AM

36,524 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Yes, you said grade schools shouldn't discuss religion, politics or taboo subjects. How is that supposed to be interpreted? Twelve and thirteen year olds are emotionally and mentally stable enough to talk about politics and controversial subjects. If they aren't then they should be in special ed. For Pete's sake some of them are having sex. Have you had any interactions with kids this age? They are not oblivious to the world around them.

Perhaps its time we throw fuel on the flame, fight fire with fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events