Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the teacher went too far by saying God is a myth?
Yes, she took it too far .... 82 68.33%
No, she acted reasonable in front of the class... 38 31.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 01:29 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Yup. It seems that the students failed to get the point of the lesson, as did, apparently the parents, the school admin, and most of the people here.

"There is a God" is a commonplace assertion, just like "There is no God."
Neither statement can be proved, nor disproved.

Somehow, the teacher let the whole thing get away from her.
Only because a kid texted her parent from her seat the second the assignment was handed out. Why kids are allowed to text in class, I don't know.

Remember this was NOT a discussion assignment, it was a "circle the correct term" worksheet. No one was teaching anything about God or religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 01:59 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
The test as written was fine. The problem is the instant indignant attitude people from the nitwit belt have when threatened by reality.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:03 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Only because a kid texted her parent from her seat the second the assignment was handed out. Why kids are allowed to text in class, I don't know.

Remember this was NOT a discussion assignment, it was a "circle the correct term" worksheet. No one was teaching anything about God or religion.
If there is a "wrong" answer regarding a question about God, then it is teaching something about God.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:19 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If there is a "wrong" answer regarding a question about God, then it is teaching something about God.
The question thus the answer was not about God, it was about a statement.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:20 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,593,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You CAN'T teach kids anything that even suggests a religion is false in any way in schools, actually, yeah. Public schools are not supposed to touch upon religion is such a way.

Maybe some kids thought God's existence was a fact. Maybe some thought it was an opinion. Maybe some thought it was a common assertion. The issue is using God as an example of this in the first place. This isn't separation of church and state. This is bringing God into a public school and forcing them to acknowledge what she says is the right answer. Opinion wasn't even correct, like I would think, it is common assertion that is the right answer. She is telling them that the existence of God is not substantiated. Even IF that's true, that kind of stuff is supposed to stay out of public schools.

I don't know why this is even being debated. The principal and district agreed and so would most people who recognize separation of church and state, as public schools fall under state. This was not a secular question. She could have made the exact same point using another example. You can teach the principles of Christianity but you cannot declare a status on the existence of God. Those are two completely different subjects.
Yes …

Again, this is NOT about "The God Question," but is about The First Amendment separation of Church and State ...

Old 11-03-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Except you don't believe in a rock and once again you're being condescending and pretending like a rock and an organized religion that is 2000 years old are the same.

If you can't see how incredibly condescending it is to call someone's faith a fairytale then it is hopeless. And I'm not even a religious person. I identify with a religion but I'm not that into it. If it makes you feel better about yourself and what you believe to make others seem or feel inferior to you, then that's on you. But I don't play that way.
Yes …

It has long been my observation that many (supposedly) scientific/skeptical/rational Atheists are every bit as closed minded and obnoxiously arrogant as the unscientific/rationalistic/desperate Fundamentalists …

It's a very intriguing mirror image ...

Old 11-03-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
"Quid est veritas?" There is no true/false answer.

Epistemology is not a 7th grade level discussion.
Yes …

The real question in "The God Question" isn't metaphysics or science, but rather, "epistemology," i.e., what do we know and how do we know it … ???

Old 11-03-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:

By definition, THAT was "teaching [*something*] about God or religion," which is/was out of bounds in a secular public school ...

Old 11-03-2015, 03:49 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:

There was discussion about why Common Assertion is the 'correct' answer. The teacher had to explain why CA is 'correct' and Opinion and Fact are wrong. If you think a 7th grade English teacher should shake 12 year-old children's commitment to God' existence, fine. Fortunately, the school district and school principal know better.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
She injected Religion into that quiz by listing God as an answer.
Could have easily bypassed religion and used "Easter Bunny" or "Tooth Fairy" or even "Santa Claus" instead.

The school was right in the actions they took.
Separation of Church and State. The State shall make no religion. And the teacher works for the government.
Her personal beliefs need to stay out of the classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events