Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the teacher went too far by saying God is a myth?
Yes, she took it too far .... 82 68.33%
No, she acted reasonable in front of the class... 38 31.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 07:58 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
There's no proof that God exists, and certainly no proof that God doesn't exist at all (and the absence of a God is much harder if not impossible to prove IMO).
Well, it all depends on how you define "God."

The God of the Bible, for example, does not exist at all. It is scientifically proven that no God created the heavens and earth or created humans and life on earth, even though the good book says all this.

But then again, if the pope says God is real then it must be true. Therefore, holylujah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 08:36 AM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Only because a kid texted her parent from her seat the second the assignment was handed out. Why kids are allowed to text in class, I don't know.

Remember this was NOT a discussion assignment, it was a "circle the correct term" worksheet. No one was teaching anything about God or religion.
I read that she sent her mom a text after school, not during class. It was why the mom was unable to discuss it with the teacher before going to the school board meeting. Her mom called the school immediately after talking to her daughter, but the principal said the teacher had already gone home.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:03 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
It is amazing where people decide it's okay to present God or take God out in public schools. Wonder how these people would be reacting if she said, "God is real."
Well she did. The statement was "There is a God".

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Religion, politics, and any other taboo subjects shouldn't be discussed in grade school.
Yes, lets keep them sheltered and ignorant. I've got a kid in 7th grade I don't see a problem with discussing politics (political science) and other taboo subjects like sex ed, or current events or even religion in historical context. I discuss these topics with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I read that she sent her mom a text after school, not during class. It was why the mom was unable to discuss it with the teacher before going to the school board meeting. Her mom called the school immediately after talking to her daughter, but the principal said the teacher had already gone home.
That may be the case but it couldn't wait till the next day? Teachers in my area provide their phone # and email and encourage parents and student to contact them after hours if need be.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:12 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
With all the hoopla around even the mention of Faith in public schools, I'd say, this teacher crossed the line. That is, IF, we can actually believe things happened as its being reported. Talking about Faith, in other than a purely academic point, is a touchy issue, and asking such a question as she did, requires one question their Faith. Bad form, at the least.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:52 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Well she did. The statement was "There is a God".

Yes, lets keep them sheltered and ignorant. I've got a kid in 7th grade I don't see a problem with discussing politics (political science) and other taboo subjects like sex ed, or current events or even religion in historical context. I discuss these topics with him.
I'm sure the social studies, world history 7th grade curriculum covers religion in historical context. This teacher threw God into her English lesson for a very different reason.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:01 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell
Religion, politics, and any other taboo subjects shouldn't be discussed in grade school.
Well really 7th graders should be OLD ENOUGH to have formed thier own opinions on things and be able to discard whatever this teachers says!!

Old 11-04-2015, 10:06 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Well really 7th graders should be OLD ENOUGH to have formed thier own opinions on things and be able to discard whatever this teachers says!!
They don't even realize that they sound like Boko Harem when they freak out over logic and critical thinking being introduced.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:24 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
They don't even realize that they sound like Boko Harem when they freak out over logic and critical thinking being introduced.
If that sentence was given to a 7th grade class to classify as :
a) False
b) Illogical
c) Fear-mongering
d) Grasping at straws
e) All of the above

the correct answer is (e).

Old 11-04-2015, 10:28 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There are many people who will say "God exists is a fact" based on the evidence they accept as proof; there are many people who will say "God does not exist is a fact" based on evidence they accept as proof.

What is a "fact?" What is "proof?" The person who says those questions have black or white answers fails to understand even the basics of epistemology.

The teacher should never have included any kind of strongly held beliefs in a test for 7th graders--that was simply poor judgment. As others have noted, she should have used Santa Claus or some other character.
Santa Claus would not have been appropriate because it is neither fact, opinion or common assertion that Santa exists. It has to be something that people actually believe exists, get it?

This was a lesson in semantics, not God, seems many folks here could use that lesson.

No one was embarrassed, it wasn't discussed. Why would anyone be embarrassed even so? It just would have been a point off, again this was not a discussion or lecture.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 11-04-2015 at 10:37 AM..

Old 11-04-2015, 10:29 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
If that sentence was given to a 7th grade class to classify as :
a) False
b) Illogical
c) Fear-mongering
d) Grasping at straws
e) All of the above

the correct answer is (e).
Can't agree with you, Jazz. Sorry. I agree with the teacher. It's a common assertion. We all walk our own paths. They tend to lead to the same place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events