Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 09:16 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You're just joking now... right? Surely the person who is offended by "Holiday Break" isn't telling those who are "offended" by "Christmas Break" to get a life?
I'm not offended, I just don't get why we take the word Christmas out of things. Clearly we take it out because OTHER people are offended, so we can go in circles all day with this "offended" thing, you and I. That's why I'm done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 09:34 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,341,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Did someone tell you that you couldn't decorate your house according to your traditions? Or go caroling? Ot send out cards? Or have a big dinner? Or go to mass if you so choose?

No?

Then no one is interfering with your traditions.
Sorry, but when downtown business are discouraged from having "Christmas-y" type decorations in favor of neutral decorations, and a family tradition has always been to "go downtown" and see the "Christmas windows" -- I mean, have you never seen the movies "Santa Clause" or "A Christmas Carol" or "Miracle on 34th Street" or "A Christmas Story'? (never mind, silly question, probably) -- and the store windows now are just full of just merchandise with embedded in fake snow -- and if the merchant is REALLY into the holiday spirit, maybe some white lights -- then, yes, my traditions ARE being interfered with. (And of course I realize that in most cases, the only way that merchants are "forced" into neutral displays is because they might feel pressured into being "PC", but still it is certainly different than it was even 25 years ago, and what has changed? Think about it.)

Sorry, if you disagree, but as this conversation has now gone on for 23 pages with no one's mind being changed -- as I am sure this won't change your mind, either -- I am leaving this discussion now, too. Maybe you don't mind devoting a lot of energy to writing the same things over and over again, but I do.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:42 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's a cup, and my Christmas isn't affected by the lack of decorations upon it.

The only thing about Starbucks I find offensive is the pricing.
I find the fact that they sell burnt coffee offensive. Their hot chocolate is good though.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:43 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,932,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Sorry, but when downtown business are discouraged from having "Christmas-y" type decorations in favor of neutral decorations, and a family tradition has always been to "go downtown" and see the "Christmas windows" -- I mean, have you never seen the movies "Santa Clause" or "A Christmas Carol" or "Miracle on 34th Street" or "A Christmas Story'? (never mind, silly question, probably) -- and the store windows are now full of just merchandise with embedded in fake snow -- and if the merchant is REALLY into the holiday spirit, maybe some white lights -- then, yes, my traditions ARE being interfered with.

Sorry, if you disagree, but as this conversation has now gone on for 23 pages with no one's mind being changed -- as I am sure this won't change your mind, either -- I am leaving this discussion now, too. Maybe you don't mind devoting a lot of energy to writing the same things over and over again, but I do.
This is what it is really about!! I love seeing the Christmas windows, Christmas displays, Christmas everything We have one shop in my town the lady buys something huge and pricey every year, we all look forward to what it will be......people who never had a Christmas-y childhood really don't get it.

We never miss Christmas Story in my house, my kids are past little, but we all get together for this family tradition! Christmas is not suppose to be locked up in someone's house, we need to spread the Christmas cheer.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:17 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,111,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'm not offended, I just don't get why we take the word Christmas out of things. Clearly we take it out because OTHER people are offended, so we can go in circles all day with this "offended" thing, you and I. That's why I'm done.
I've only met one person besides myself who was offended by Chistmas, and she was one of those that got offended by everything. I'm offended by the whole holiday, no matter what they call it, and it's not for religious reasons. If you tell me " Merry Christmas" it's right back at ya. .

Old 11-13-2015, 12:28 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Or because, as others have said, Christmas is not the only Holiday celebrated during this time of the year.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:29 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,361,409 times
There is a 'stupid' virus growing in this country and it is spreading.

Whats next?

Do we take the word Christmas off the calendar on December 25th and put Winter Holiday instead?

If I put decorations on my house in December, do I have to worry about being sued because it offends someone?

Do we ban all images of Santa Claus?

Don't even think about broadcasting A Charlie Brown Christmas or the Macy Thanksgiving parade.

Do not ever, under any circumstances, even insinuate that the 'Winter Holiday" has anything at all to do with religion.

We are turning into a nation of people that whine like children that are offended about any and everything.

Grow the hell up. Live your life and let others live theirs.

Last edited by ditchoc; 11-13-2015 at 04:47 AM..

Old 11-13-2015, 03:44 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,608,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Coming to a FaceBook near you!

Starbucks' red holiday cups stir up controversy - Nov. 8, 2015

I haven't watched his video, but I have a sneaking suspicion that there will be ad content involved. Nothing like making a hullabaloo and charging admission.
This is nothing more than another distraction from the real problems we have here.

It's a paper CUP!

Old 11-13-2015, 04:45 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,074 times
Ok Christians, quit trying to do your yearly "war on Christmas " this happens every year brought to you by Fox News most likely.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:30 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
Starbucks already has a lot of its holiday stuff going. One wall is devoted to coffee cups/mugs in boxes. There is an Advent calendar. The cups are red. There is Christmas blend coffee. There are holiday drinks (which to me are 100% Christmasy because I don't associate gingerbread lattes with Hannukah or Kwanzaa). So who's to say that the cups have to be decorated with snowflakes? Aren't snowflakes really more of a winter motif? What do they really have to do with where and when Jesus was born and what he meant? And snowflakes don't play much of a role in the lives of Floridians or Californians, yet they still celebrate Christmas. (Speaking of warmer states, maybe the snowflakes disappeared off the SB cups because they want to warn us about global warming---that there won't be any snowflakes in the future, especially the way our consumerism is heating up the planet! Just saying....)

Know when I will feel like it's truly the Christmas/holiday season at Starbucks? When people start acknowledging me with a smile, holding the door for me, or even a two-minute conversation, recognizing our mutual humanity, instead of just being immersed in their cell phone as they are the other non-Christmas/holiday season days of the year. Don't have the time or energy for that? Then maybe you don't really have the time or energy to "celebrate Christmas."

We humans are funny creatures. We see a world in turmoil and many things changing, so we try to cling things that have given us comfort in the past. And the things we may try to cling to may not be the most satisfying or long-lasting ultimately (no matter how many reindeer sweaters people wear, there is a whole lot of seasonal depression before and after the holidays!), but we desperately try to cling to them because they are familiar or easy. Funny how the people who protest the most about the lost seasonal celebrations will be the ones to allow their families to just play with their electronics all day or go shopping on Christmas instead of interacting with each other or helping someone else. How is that not interfering with the Christmas spirit? But we give that a pass since it's family and because so many of us are complicit in it as well.

I will stand beside and fight the good fight with anyone who isn't allowed to go to church for Christmas or decorate their homes as they see fit. But if your red cup (and let's acknowledge that the color of the cup DID change as a nod to the season) does not include a snow flake or store displays aren't as lavish as they used to be, let's just be thankful for what we do have and grateful for our ability to celebrate holidays as we see fit...that which is under our control. We can't control what merchants do. Love Christmas? Then visit your church regularly. Have a tree in every room! Go to with the most lavish lighting display ever! Spend quality time with loved ones. Help someone else. Maybe this Starbucks issue is a wake-up call to take Christmas out of the hands of merchants and reduce the consumerism and get back to the reason for the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events