Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 07:52 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times

Advertisements

we need the weed!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 09:13 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
According to whichever BAC chart I look at, 3-4 drinks puts me over .05. I typically don't even feel anything until I've had about 3 or 4 drinks. A couple more drinks (pushing me to .08 or higher) and no I don't really feel like I should be driving but .05 is not intoxicated and is just looking for a scapegoat.

From NHTSA, 70% of alcohol caused fatalities were caused by BACs at .15 or higher in 2010. THAT is who should be targeted. .08 to .14 was 30% of alcohol caused fatalities (and 9% of all fatalities). For comparison, those with a BAC of .01 to .07 were just 5% of all fatalities. Those stone cold sober with no alcohol in their system remain the highest offenders with 63% of all fatalities (although the vast majority of people driver sober so this is expected).

Also to note, the stats for .08 plus just indicate what the driver's BAC level was, it doesn't even account for whether or not alcohol caused the crash. A driver could've been texting.

In short, I'm far more terrified of a 16 year that just got his or her license than someone who had 2 drinks and blows a .05.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:48 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Yeah, and while you're at it..................do SOMETHING about the cellphone-idiots!

Old 01-15-2016, 10:29 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
If there are stats showing that we are experiencing too many accidents caused by drivers that tested between .05 and .08, then fine, let's lower it. But I bet very very few, if any, wrecks are caused by drivers that has that little alcohol in their blood.

In the absence of such data, then I believe this move is money driven. Not to mention it is, unfortunately, very politically correct.
It looks like there is some data out there:

"Drivers with a BAC of .01 percent, the lowest level recorded in the dataset, were 46 percent more likely to be solely blamed for the crash than a sober driver, according to the results published in the journal Injury Prevention". Buzzed drivers under legal limit still risk car accidents | Reuters

"The National Institutes of Health looked at more than one hundred studies on the subject. It found at .08 percent most people showed significant signs of impairment. But even at .05 percent, some struggled with a simulated driving test. Researchers documented changes in eye movement, visual perception and reaction time. The effects were stronger for sleep deprived and younger drivers." What's the difference between a blood alcohol level of .08 and .05? | 89.3 KPCC

I don't have a problem with it being lowered, if you want to drink do it at home or take a cab

Old 01-15-2016, 10:44 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
Right, It's indefensible to some. I don't drink and find it ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Ok,

No cell phones allowed in cars anymore either. They must be placed in the trunk or rear of the vehicle prior to starting the car.

And if an infant is in a vehicle in a car seat, another adult needs to be in the vehicle to deal with the child so the driver is not distracted.

Time to get serious about safety.

^ Props to these posters above who seem to "get it."

It's extremely hypocritical that so many people who post here preach "get the government out of my life" yet then think regulations like this are a "great idea."

Next we will all have breathalyzers in our car before it can start.

Stop using mouthwash now just incase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
0.05 is still too high.

When some of you lose your mom, dad, brother, sister, child, grandparent, spouse, or best friend to someone who decided a couple drinks were OK before driving home, then you'll understand.

I already have (aunt) and I still think it's an infringement on personal freedoms. Meanwhile....

"According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) 32,719 people died in traffic crashes in 2013 in the United States (latest figures available), including an estimated 10,076 people who died in drunk driving crashes, accounting for 31% of all traffic deaths that year."

Honestly I thought the stats would have been A LOT higher for driving while drunk fatalities. It's LESS THAN 1/3. The way these lobbyist left over from the 80s act, one might think drunk driving is causing almost 100% of the fatalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
According to whichever BAC chart I look at, 3-4 drinks puts me over .05. I typically don't even feel anything until I've had about 3 or 4 drinks. A couple more drinks (pushing me to .08 or higher) and no I don't really feel like I should be driving but .05 is not intoxicated and is just looking for a scapegoat.

From NHTSA, 70% of alcohol caused fatalities were caused by BACs at .15 or higher in 2010. THAT is who should be targeted. .08 to .14 was 30% of alcohol caused fatalities (and 9% of all fatalities). For comparison, those with a BAC of .01 to .07 were just 5% of all fatalities. Those stone cold sober with no alcohol in their system remain the highest offenders with 63% of all fatalities (although the vast majority of people driver sober so this is expected).

Also to note, the stats for .08 plus just indicate what the driver's BAC level was, it doesn't even account for whether or not alcohol caused the crash. A driver could've been texting.

In short, I'm far more terrified of a 16 year that just got his or her license than someone who had 2 drinks and blows a .05.

Thank you for providing some actual data on the subject vs hysterical rhetoric.

So 5% of the total of 10,076 drunk driving deaths per year= 538

More people in jail, more police time wasted, etc for a hypothetical 538 people per year.

Interesting.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:48 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Hardly. Only the ones who insist on drinking and driving. You want to drink, then don't drive. Case closed.
Mmmm, Kool-aid.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
^ Props to these posters above who seem to "get it."

It's extremely hypocritical that so many people who post here preach "get the government out of my life" yet then think regulations like this are a "great idea."

Next we will all have breathalyzers in our car before it can start.

Stop using mouthwash now just incase.

I already have (aunt) and I still think it's an infringement on personal freedoms. Meanwhile....

"According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) 32,719 people died in traffic crashes in 2013 in the United States (latest figures available), including an estimated 10,076 people who died in drunk driving crashes, accounting for 31% of all traffic deaths that year."

Honestly I thought the stats would have been A LOT higher for driving while drunk fatalities. It's LESS THAN 1/3. The way these lobbyist left over from the 80s act, one might think drunk driving is causing almost 100% of the fatalities.

Thank you for providing some actual data on the subject vs hysterical rhetoric.

So 5% of the total of 10,076 drunk driving deaths per year= 538

More people in jail, more police time wasted, etc for a hypothetical 538 people per year.

Interesting.

That 31% should be 0. 31 is too high. People shouldn't drive drunk. It's not difficult to grasp, yet people still do it. People will always be irresponsible idiots who either don't think at all or only think about themselves, but if that number can keep dwindling I say go for it. I've said it many times before and I'll say it again - fewer things **** me off more than drunk drivers. It's one of my biggest pet peeves - not to mention something that is incredibly dangerous and risky.

Ideally no one should be driving under ANY impairment or distraction. Whether it's alcohol, drugs, using a cell phone, whatever, in any amount. We know all it takes is one glance down at a phone to kill you or someone else. For some people, it could be one drink to cause a crash. If we can regulate this to punish people who in any way make the road dangerous for others, as we do in other circumstances, why not?

I personally am a lightweight. I feel one drink. I choose not to drive after even one drink. But then again I'm responsible.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:40 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,161 times
It would be more effective to institute random breath testing.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:44 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Which part of "federal republic" has confused you?

It's not within the authority of the government. It's just more power-grabbing.
Point 1, it's only a recommendation at this point.

Point 2, if the recommendation is adopted, the federal government can certainly withhold highway aid from states that don't comply. Being a "federal republic" works both ways.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:53 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Ridiculous. Now, make a law against cops fiddling around on their laptops while driving, and I'd be in full support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events