Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 09:39 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times

Advertisements

In NY you are an arrest anyway. You would be locked up for driving while impaired. Over .08 you are arrested for driving while intoxicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 09:45 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,851 times
I got a news flash for all you idiots that want the law changed because it will make it safer.

In most all states (I think all but I don't know for sure) you can be arrested, charged and convicted of DUI even if you blow below 0.08 bac.

So how is raising fines and penalties for people that arent impaired after having a couple drinks with dinner going to make you safer?

Its already a law that you can't drive impaired regardless of BAC.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:08 PM

335 posts, read 325,038 times
So, explain to me how this new law will make me feel safer when I constantly read about the habitual drunk with 8 prior DUI's just got arrested again? I'm most understanding and I also did a DUI. 6 months loss of license and fines. Ok, I digress, simple answer is, you get arrested AGAIN for DUI and you still are on a prior conviction, JAIL!!!! Oh..Wait....Liberal theory has other ideas to help the ones who can't be helped while screwing the rest of us.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:15 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
If I'm scary because I don't like driving with drunks, so be it.
.05 isn't drunk. It's a ridiculous recommendation . . . just as it was to get down to .08.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:04 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,766 times
If you drink don't drive if you drive don't drink. what's so hard about that? I'm in the minority I don't even drink at all and not because I am not recovery or anything I have just seen too many lives ruined by alcohol and haven't been drunk since high school. But truly why do people need to drink and get behind the wheel of a car even if you are below a .08 BAC you can be impaired and you are putting other people at risk.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:54 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
If you drink don't drive if you drive don't drink. what's so hard about that? I'm in the minority I don't even drink at all and not because I am not recovery or anything I have just seen too many lives ruined by alcohol and haven't been drunk since high school. But truly why do people need to drink and get behind the wheel of a car even if you are below a .08 BAC you can be impaired and you are putting other people at risk.
If you don't drink at all then how would you know that a person could be impaired enough with a BAC under .08 to be pulled over and arrested for DUI?

Old 01-17-2016, 07:35 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
I'd rather get in a car with a man driving at .05, then a woman at 0.00.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:44 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
But the Fed's can (and Do) blackmail the states into passing such laws.,

Don't pass a .05 BAC law, we cut off all Federal HiWay Trust Fund money to your state till you do..
It's the Feds' money to distribute, so they set the rules.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:47 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
My wife did a rolling stop in our neighborhood that is still very new(meaning almost no traffic), and received a couple hundred dollar ticket. Truly shocking at the government overreach that so many are willing to bend over for.
Aw, geez, my neighbor shot his wife and received 20 to life. Truly shocking at the government overreach that so many are willing to bend over for.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:57 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Personally, when it comes to drinking and driving, it's 8 hours bottle to throttle or 12 if I'm packing. So I have a hard time seeing the reasoning of those who want to be able to drink and then control a ton of metal moving at 60 mph.

That said, it ought to be a State's choice without any Federal pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
My wife did a rolling stop in our neighborhood that is still very new(meaning almost no traffic), and received a couple hundred dollar ticket. Truly shocking at the government overreach that so many are willing to bend over for.
Well, the problem with that defense is that she was making the decision for an action that could affect others, she was putting others at risk because she thought she knew better.

A and B. A: How many accidents can one count where the offender states that they didn't see the other person? Is that not what the person does who decides not to stop at the stop sign, to proceed without the full stop because they see no others in the vicinity?

B: There is a stop light at the ranch road and exit from my community that I approach at night. When I get there, it is often red, so I come to stop before I start my procedures to turn right on red. Those procedures are stretched out at night and I really hope the light turns green before I make the turn. For even though it is at night and I should see the headlights of ranch road traffic at a distance, I want to give extra detection time for what is not apparent at night, such as someone riding on a bike without lights, someone in a car who has not turned their lights on. I really hope the light will turn green before I make my turn because then I have another layer of legal protection if indeed there is someone out there without their lights on.

One might say I am over thinking the situation, but in this world of the invincibles who don't believe in lights, a little extra caution is wise with such heavy machinery.......and I'd rather hold on to my money than have to give it to some idiot.

Driving a car is really not some simple matter.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 01-17-2016 at 08:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events