Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2016, 10:34 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,122 times

Advertisements

How about instead of focusing on numbers, we focus on impairment. If someone is suspected of drunk or high driving, give them an impairment test. If they can prove they are not impaired then the numbers don't really matter very much.

That method has the benefit of working not only for alcohol impairment, but all drugs, both legal and illegal. It also removes the variability of body weight and tolerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 11:24 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The federal government has no business being involved with highways.
Absurd

I can't think of a better use of my tax dollars than to expand the infrastructure which benefits commerce and the general public alike.

The alternative is public/private overpriced toll roads which actually limit mobility and BTW, are partially tax payer funded anyway. It's a lose/lose proposition for the middle class, just like the expensive sports stadiums
that everyone pays for, yet few get to enjoy.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:30 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
I honestly don't know what .08% feels like. When I feel like I'm impaired I don't know what my BAC is but I would assume it's above .08 and certainly above .05%. I've thought about getting a breathalyzer (surprised these aren't becoming mandatory the way things are now.) but I've never gone forward with the idea. I assume because of my fairly high alcohol tolerance that if I drink and then drive I'm probably above the legal limit even if I don't feel it. I don't drive if I'm drunk, I just don't know how high my BAC is when I actually get to that point.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:52 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Absurd

I can't think of a better use of my tax dollars than to expand the infrastructure which benefits commerce and the general public alike.

The alternative is public/private overpriced toll roads which actually limit mobility and BTW, are partially tax payer funded anyway. It's a lose/lose proposition for the middle class, just like the expensive sports stadiums
Why can't the alternative be that states and counties build and maintain their own roads?

Old 01-18-2016, 11:57 AM

658 posts, read 1,143,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Why can't the alternative be that states and counties build and maintain their own roads?

the requisite need for interstate commerce?

Old 01-18-2016, 11:58 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What unless they were required to build and maintain them what would happen if they opted out? If Nevada decided to abandon I-80 because they didn't want to maintain it it would sure be a pain to get from Sacramento to Salt Lake City

Old 01-18-2016, 12:02 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What unless they were required to build and maintain them what would happen if they opted out? If Nevada decided to abandon I-80 because they didn't want to maintain it it would sure be a pain to get from Sacramento to Salt Lake City
Maybe the feds could maintain it but close all the exits and entrances in Nevada.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:00 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Maybe the feds could maintain it but close all the exits and entrances in Nevada.
That's sort of what I'm thinking would happen...

Old 01-18-2016, 01:43 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Absurd

No, the alternative is for the States to manage their own highways.

Abuses of the highway funds such as the Bridge to Nowhere and the Exit Ramp to Nowhere do not benefit the People.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:44 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderOCola View Post
the requisite need for interstate commerce?
And?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I suppose they could "opt out" and choose not to maintain I-80 and severely hamper their own economy; however, you might as well be asking what would happen if the federal government decided that no state or county roads were allowed to connect to I-80.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events