Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 07:34 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Left to their own prerogative, states would always build roads in their most concentrated areas. Which makes perfect sense if you're a state legislator, but does nothing to help interstate commerce and would actually force interstate traffic (e.g. tractor trailers) on to your local highways.

Interstates are built with the good of the entire nation in mind, if the Feds didn't build them they simply wouldn't get built.
So, if you were in charge of your state, you'd ignore interstate travel and put a major road block up for industry and commerce in your state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 08:38 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,257 times
.05? For a smaller person, would drinking just one beer put you over the limit?!

Old 01-19-2016, 08:39 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,044 times
Smart people who go out (and drive there) either:

- Don't drink while out
- Have a drink or two, but make sure that they get their drinking out of the way EARLY, long (hours) before they leave
- Have a sober friend (if available) drive him/her home
- Use Uber, Lyft or a taxi if available to get him home. He'd just have to go pick up his own car tomorrow...hopefully it wasn't impounded (some places have time limits on how long you can leave your car parked there, even if you're paying for the parking).

It is possible to have a fun and exciting night out without drinking at all or minimizing the alcohol. Many bars have non-alcoholic drinks on the menu. Other patrons may look at you oddly and think you're a pathetic weakling or something...who cares, why give a damn about them, get more self-secure.

That said, I do think that this recommendation by the feds is more strongly inspired by money and power than it is by making the United States safer on the roads.

In my experience, some of the most dangerous drivers (aside from those who are way over the legal BAC) are the ones who drive like they're lost.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:46 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I provided an article from a perfectly reputable source (Reuters) with a link to the abstract of a study. I'm not sure why the interest in reading the entire study, but if you really want to access it, it's available if you want to pay for it
Because the abstract does not give details of exactly how the research was done and the limitations of the study - a researcher/scientist always goes back to the primary source to get the full story.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:10 AM

42,843 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Because the abstract does not give details of exactly how the research was done and the limitations of the study - a researcher/scientist always goes back to the primary source to get the full story.
And I am in no way standing in the way of a researcher or scientist who wants to view the entire study, in fact most of them already subscribe to one of the subscription services that provide access to the studies.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:16 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,031,904 times
Ridiculous pandering. Drunk driving fatalities are usually the result of people who get totally plastered well beyond the .08 anyway..so what does this law do other than throw thousands more people into the criminal justice system who are basically of little threat to anyone, especially in comparison to cell phone usage? You're basically criminalizing a woman who weighs under 120lbs and has one glass of wine at dinner and drives home. That is good policy?

Old 01-19-2016, 03:27 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,268 times
I'd be a little worried that cops are busy hauling people in who're blowing a 0.06-7 and then aren't on the road for folks who're blowing 0.20 ...

Old 01-19-2016, 04:43 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Maybe there should be a graduated punishment based on level of intoxication.

0.02-0.05 = ticket, just like speeding
0.05 - 0.08 = ticket, not dismissable with DD, cannot continue driving (find a sober driver or car towed)
0.08 and up = arrest

Old 01-19-2016, 05:43 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,367,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderOCola View Post
Not that I agree with the study, but the link goes to the research articles page. If you aren't aware that scientific research manuscripts are often paywalled, that's on you.
No, it's "ON" the person who claims the study means something. Either he's read it and can therefore explain what the researchers did, or he hasn't, in which case anything he says about it is worthless.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:45 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,451,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't see a problem...
Nope. I think lowering the blood alcohol level to be a great idea. I know a man who lost his mother to an inebriated driver who drove up on the sidewalk and caused her death.

Does no one who has a drink out also have a designated driver? When I lived in Europe (Germany, specifically), there was always great consideration for the amount of alcohol people consumed and designated drivers if anyone was in any way impaired by alcohol.

Failing a designated driver, a person should either wait it out until the blood alcohol is low, or else call a taxi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events