Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 03:59 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I can't find the study online. You'll need to tell us where to find it.
Scroll to the bottom of the Reuter's article and click on the link next to the word: "SOURCE"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 04:10 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderOCola View Post
I haven't read it (yet), but seriously, pay attention. From the Freakin Article (at the bottom)
That's not the study. It's an abstract that tells us nothing more than the article.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
That's not the study. It's an abstract that tells us nothing more than the article.
I provided an article from a perfectly reputable source (Reuters) with a link to the abstract of a study. I'm not sure why the interest in reading the entire study, but if you really want to access it, it's available if you want to pay for it

Old 01-18-2016, 04:40 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,805 times
NSAIDs impair driving. You may not "feel" it when you pop one but I can assure you via "studies" you are over fifty percent more likely to be in an at-fault crash, FACT.

I all seriousness I'm for a yearly DMV motor skills reaction test. Go in, drive in your little simulator, and if you plow into everything around you, like I know old people will do, no license for you! Nah nah.

"Ma'am, you're not even in a lane."

It looks like a lane.

"No it's a sidewalk...a sidewalk opposing traffic."

Old 01-18-2016, 05:57 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
Up here at least, the punishments are much harsher then you outlined. There pretty tough, but I think there fair.
Which place are you talking about that has tough punishment for drunk drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
That same logic and reasoning was used when the horribly damaging war on drugs was conceived. How has that worked out?

I guess we should get busy building even more prisons. But wait, why not carry your logic all the way? If we will ruin lives "without remorse", as you put it, when not even the power of a judge can save them, then why not simply execute them? That sure would get your point across even better, and save a lot of money to boot.
Actually for chronic offenders who have no desire to change and continually get caught driving drunk, yes I wouldn't mind having them executed because its clear that they are beyond help and will never change. Time to cut your losses and get rid of them.

Also this is different from the war on drugs. I'm not asking people to stop drinking. They can drink themselves into oblivion every damn day for all I care. All I'm asking for them to do when they do get drunk to is NOT drive. Is it really that difficult for them to do? To change one, ONE habit so that they don't endanger themselves and more importantly don't endanger innocent people who might have the unfortunate luck of running into them while they drive drunk and getting injured or even killed?

If these people have so little care and compassion for themselves and for those around them, then yes they do deserve to get the book thrown at them as harshly as possible.

Quote:
Mandatory sentencing laws are horrible. They take the ability away from judges to do the right thing, based on the specific case.

You know what I just realized? This subject really won't be a hot button for all that much longer anyway. Driverless cars are not far away.
Except judges frequently DO NOT 'do the right thing'. That's why people like Ethan Couch can walk after killing four people driving drunk. That's why countless people only get slaps on the wrist even after they kill innocent people with their vehicles. If judges did their jobs, we would see most drunk drivers being severely punished and repeat offenders being given no mercy and thrown in jail for long sentences. But this isn't happening which is why people keep doing it.

Hypothetically if police were allowed to execute people on the spot if they're caught driving drunk, how many people do you think would consider driving after having even a drink or two let alone many drinks? Probably zero. Why? Because the consequences are too great. Even if police can't pull over every driver to see if they're drunk, would you want to risk being one of the unlucky ones to be stopped and be possibly killed? Of course not.

I'm not saying we need to go to that extreme, but we definitely need harsh penalties that will alter people's habits because people won't respond to anything less. That's just human nature.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:05 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
If you don't drink at all then how would you know that a person could be impaired enough with a BAC under .08 to be pulled over and arrested for DUI?
This is the problem . . . people who don't have concepts of drunkenness are the ones up-in-arms about the parameters.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:09 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Hypothetically if police were allowed to execute people on the spot if they're caught driving drunk, how many people do you think would consider driving after having even a drink or two let alone many drinks? Probably zero. Why? Because the consequences are too great. Even if police can't pull over every driver to see if they're drunk, would you want to risk being one of the unlucky ones to be stopped and be possibly killed? Of course not.
Why do states that have death penalties have higher murder rates than those that don't then?

The idea that the death penalty dissuades people from acts is completely undermined by the statistics of those acts.

And, once again, people driving at .05 to .07 aren't killing people with drinking and driving.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:51 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I provided an article from a perfectly reputable source (Reuters) with a link to the abstract of a study. I'm not sure why the interest in reading the entire study, but if you really want to access it, it's available if you want to pay for it
The article and abstract are worthless if they don't explain the methodology, the sample size, etc. It's hard to believe that that is not obvious to you.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
The article and abstract are worthless if they don't explain the methodology, the sample size, etc. It's hard to believe that that is not obvious to you.
Let's get something straight here, I did not defend the study nor did I promise anyone access to it. If you want the entire study, pay for it, it's really that simple

Old 01-18-2016, 09:08 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Hypothetically if police were allowed to execute people on the spot if they're caught driving drunk, how many people do you think would consider driving after having even a drink or two let alone many drinks? Probably zero.
Zero, about the same number that would voluntarily pull over in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events