Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 09:28 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,601,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Why would Walmart even consider putting a store in a town with a population of 900?
The dupes in the town who stopped supporting their local pre-Walmart stores for the sake of saving $5 a week or so to go to Walmarts sent those local stores under. Now Walmart will leave and they got nothing after killing the local stores. They'll have to drive. Tough cheese.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:37 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,086,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Ever seen a real sale at Walmart? BOGO? Walmart doesn't have those. I can't afford to shop at a 3% discount at Walmart so I buy things at 50% off at Publix. Then again, cheap garbage in a box to microwave might be cheaper at Walmart I don't know. But I do know that cooking your own food is also cheaper. It takes effort, though. If you put in time and effort, you save money. You get better food at lower prices. Simple. Walmart is designed for people that want to allocate effort to other things than saving money or eating good food at a good price. Many will be snotty about it, but I am just going to go by facts. Groceries in my shopping experience have been cheaper a real grocery store than at Walmart. Some things like Home good sure are cheaper at Walmart. But not food. That I have seen, anyway.
Oh, for Pity's sake!

The discount grocery chains never did well in my area. All we have is the regional/national chains. For that reason, I think Walmart is cheaper for some things. I rarely grocery shop there, because it's not particularly convenient to me and other than the canned and boxed goods, I don't think the quality is as good.

You really should get off your high horse about your cooking style. Walmart does sell meat, potatoes, fruit, veggies, etc.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:51 AM

17,566 posts, read 15,704,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Oh, for Pity's sake!

The discount grocery chains never did well in my area. All we have is the regional/national chains. For that reason, I think Walmart is cheaper for some things. I rarely grocery shop there, because it's not particularly convenient to me and other than the canned and boxed goods, I don't think the quality is as good.

You really should get off your high horse about your cooking style. Walmart does sell meat, potatoes, fruit, veggies, etc.
Yeah, they do, but very limited variety, and what they have in terms of meat and produce isn't any cheaper-priced than those found in other stores. Their "cheap" prices are pretty much only seen in boxed/pre-packaged goods. Not fresh foods.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:59 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,973,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The dupes in the town who stopped supporting their local pre-Walmart stores for the sake of saving $5 a week or so to go to Walmarts sent those local stores under. Now Walmart will leave and they got nothing after killing the local stores. They'll have to drive. Tough cheese.
It was likely far more than $5/week.

We had one grocery store in my town for years. And there prices were normally about 40% more than Wal-Mart charged. For toilet paper. For milk. For flour. Plus the product sat on the shelves for much longer. So when you bought flour or cereal, you had to be very careful to check dates. I've seen cake mixes with expiration dates from five years ago on the shelves of that grocery store. I have friends who've bought frozen items that when they opened them were full of mold.

While losing the convenience of a store can be a hardship, a new store will eventually step in.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:05 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,973,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Yeah, they do, but very limited variety, and what they have in terms of meat and produce isn't any cheaper-priced than those found in other stores. Their "cheap" prices are pretty much only seen in boxed/pre-packaged goods. Not fresh foods.
The variety isn't all that limited. And they do have sales on fresh foods and meats. On Monday night I picked up snow pea pods and shallots and two large chicken breasts, for just over $5.00 altogether. Snow pea pods were $1.00. Shallots were 38 cents. Chicken was $3.89. All fresh. Significantly cheaper than I could have bought elsewhere.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:09 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,934,640 times
This is what people in small towns get...
they let their family owned grocery, pharmacy, etc stores out to dry
now walmart leaves THEM out to dry

I very rarely shop at walmart...id rather spend a little extra elsewhere

Old 01-27-2016, 10:13 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,969,479 times
Quote:
Our local Walmart has a pretty good selection of fresh meat and vegetables.

However, we usually buy meat at Costco and freeze it. Cheaper still. Paper goods too.

Point is, nobody should have 'loyalty' to a store. You go where the prices are best, where you like the quality, where you can get what you want and where it is convenient.

We buy at Costco, we buy at Walmart, we buy at Safeway, we buy at the IGA and we buy at Whole Foods. It all depends.

Last edited by Jaggy001; 01-27-2016 at 10:22 AM..

Old 01-27-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Our local Walmart has a pretty good selection of fresh meat and vegetables.

However, we usually buy meat at Costco and freeze it. Cheaper still. Paper goods too.

Point is, nobody should have 'loyalty' to a store. You go where the prices are best, where you like the quality, where you can get what you want and where it is convenient.

We buy at Costco, we buy at Walmart, we buy at Safeway, we buy at the IGA and we buy at Whole Foods. It all depends.
Yes. I agree.

When I have time, I venture out to Freshfield Farms for things like real wild-caught Atlantic salmon (non-fillet-ed, as I don't like fillets, and fresh, good-quality chicken, which is by far cheaper and of better quality there than most anywhere. I buy most produce from Publix, as I can't see why I wouldn't: good variety, fresh products, good prices.

I avoid Wal-Mart as much as I can, though, for many reasons ranging from lack of cleanliness to the types of people the stores seem to attract. I do buy motor oil from there, and things like vaccuum cleaners and cookware, but that's really about it.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:12 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,086,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
This is what people in small towns get...
they let their family owned grocery, pharmacy, etc stores out to dry
now walmart leaves THEM out to dry

I very rarely shop at walmart...id rather spend a little extra elsewhere
How fortunate for you that you can do that!

Quote:
Yes. I agree.

When I have time, I venture out to Freshfield Farms for things like real wild-caught Atlantic salmon (non-fillet-ed, as I don't like fillets, and fresh, good-quality chicken, which is by far cheaper and of better quality there than most anywhere. I buy most produce from Publix, as I can't see why I wouldn't: good variety, fresh products, good prices.

I avoid Wal-Mart as much as I can, though, for many reasons ranging from lack of cleanliness to the types of people the stores seem to attract. I do buy motor oil from there, and things like vaccuum cleaners and cookware, but that's really about it.
The bold is my biggest beef withe the anti-Walmart people. So full of compassion for poor people, but don't want to shop with them!

Old 01-27-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
How fortunate for you that you can do that!

The bold is my biggest beef withe the anti-Walmart people. So full of compassion for poor people, but don't want to shop with them!
Poor? Who said anything about poor?????

Poor people shop at the above-mentioned Freshfield Farms all the time. It's one of my favorite stores here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events