Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 09:40 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,968,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Considering my step kid went to goshen, and is at north old ham now, and those are real examples as to what's occurred, and that high school is about 200 yards from my back yard, there is a zero tolerance policy to depictions of firearms in old ham, Jefferson, spencer, and Shelby county.
Seriously? How is the artwork real examples of what has occurred? Do you think that the one with the guns is not depicting real events?

And there does not seem to be any written zero tolerance policy in the school's handbook. If there is one, why isn't it written down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 10:05 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,746,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Seriously? How is the artwork real examples of what has occurred? Do you think that the one with the guns is not depicting real events?

And there does not seem to be any written zero tolerance policy in the school's handbook. If there is one, why isn't it written down?
You tell me. Kid got sent home last year wearing a 2nd amendment shirt(.

Most of the parents I've talked to think the controversy is silly. They aren't worried about the picture but, if any representation of a gun is going to be punished, then there shouldn't be any representation of a gun allowed. Actually most would prefer to allow it, just not cherry pick.

It's funny as this is being talked about on whas radio as I'm changing the fuel filters on the vehicle

Old 02-28-2016, 11:43 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,150,511 times
Quote:
I just 'heard' a story from my brother's uncles cousins nephew about a horror story in mars about the profiling of humans by the intergalactic police force....

States are big places with lots of different individuals. Repeating the stereotype of another is just as bad as proposing it themselves.

'Kentucky Police' is even a misnomer. WHich one is she specifically referring too? If one is going to make a general indictment, make a specific accusation or leave the stereotype where it belongs.
You never mentioned an example. And your reason for discrediting my examples are??

Those aren't the only stories that I've heard.

I agreed on the zero tolerance angle, but why limit someone's freedom of expression just because you don't disagree with it?

Old 02-28-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You never mentioned an example. And your reason for discrediting my examples are??

Those aren't the only stories that I've heard.

I agreed on the zero tolerance angle, but why limit someone's freedom of expression just because you don't disagree with it?
a kid at south oldham was sent home, then suspended, for wearing an nra shirt 3 years ago. He was asked to remove it and said no. Zero tolerance was cited.

Me, I prefer no zero tolerance as it censors all free speech/expression. Too often, rules are cherry picked, as in this case.

Thankfully the pic was taken down and a substitute art teacher will be teaching. Even more hopefully the ridiculous censorship permeating this and many school districts ends... Even if it pisses people off.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:38 PM

51,671 posts, read 25,918,928 times
Art is supposed to elicit an emotional response and this has certainly done that.

I was hit that to this artist, the world has not changed much in 85 years. Despite the civil rights movement, desegregation, even a black president, they still see black people getting shot by those in a uniform

Pretty powerful, I'd say.

And the LEO is right. It does create a culture of police officers being the enemy not the protectors.

How are we ever going to get out of this endless cycle?

Old 02-28-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Art is supposed to elicit an emotional response and this has certainly done that.

I was hit that to this artist, the world has not changed much in 85 years. Despite the civil rights movement, desegregation, even a black president, they still see black people getting shot by those in a uniform

Pretty powerful, I'd say.

And the LEO is right. It does create a culture of police officers being the enemy not the protectors.

How are we ever going to get out of this endless cycle?
May want to explain the LEO to the non louisvillians

Old 02-28-2016, 03:51 PM

51,671 posts, read 25,918,928 times
Quote:
May want to explain the LEO to the non louisvillians
Law Enforcement Officer

Sorry.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Law Enforcement Officer

Sorry.
I actually thought you were in Louisville. Leo is a magazine here that weighs in on issues like this! Lol

Old 02-28-2016, 05:58 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,751,244 times
"Zero Tolerance" has come to mean, "You have no first amendment protections if your opinions aren't aligned with liberal ideologies."

If the BLM movement ever had a legitimate message (and that's a big 'if'), that message has been completely lost in the cataract of stupidity this group has shown, between burning Baltimore and looting Ferguson and leaving a wake of multi-million destruction in every city where they've had "major protests."

Those cop cars that are outfitted as police interceptors (the Crown Vics and Chevy Malibus) that these idiots love to destroy cost more than $70,000. The government doesn't pay for that; TAXPAYERS pay for that. TAXPAYERS: Those are people with J.O.B.S.

Meanwhile, the blacks in inner-cities (Chicago, Cinicnnatti, Gary, St. Louis, and more) are busy shooting each other every chance they get.

The BLM movement is never going to get real traction until the blacks decide to stop shooting EACH OTHER.

So how about if we paint a picture of blacks assassinating each other on the streets in great numbers? Is that okay? Or maybe a picture of Michael Brown trying to beat the *&#^ of a police officer. Is that okay?

No, because it doesn't fit the liberal ideology.

I'm so sick of this BS. I think it's time to tell the cops, stay out of the neighborhoods where you're so despised. Just stay out.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:31 PM

2,627 posts, read 3,160,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Instead of being outraged and demanding the picture be removed, the cop should ask himself why the child views police that way and what can he and other officers do to change that perception.

I have serious doubt that will happen.
You make a good point. Even if the perception is false, it may be real to that kid. He may have seen something to make him think that way. Maybe he never sees cops in his area unless they are arresting or battling someone. Planting some good seed with him may go a long way.

My daughter recently got a speeding ticket from a cop that harassed her on the road, as she sees it. She will be sour on cops for a while, til she sees different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events