Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 07:09 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,346,349 times

Advertisements

This adult would think that the art work would be a good point to begin a discussion with the artist about the relationship between the police and the public… if I cared anything about changing the impressions of young artist. But then I'm an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 07:20 PM

5,866 posts, read 3,312,930 times
I am sure if this was reversed and it showed a black kid executing a cop many here would take an issue with that. While I may find what the kid drew as distasteful I would ignore it. That is someone else opinion. Go out and do your job the best you can. Cant waste time worrying about what some kid thinks.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:34 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,270,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Instead of being outraged and demanding the picture be removed, the cop should ask himself why the child views police that way and what can he and other officers do to change that perception.

I have serious doubt that will happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
That's a good point. Maybe he should visit with the students.

Damn straight and the kiddos could whine to them how they're still victims despite 50 years of affirmative action, quotas, set asides, lowered expectations on standardized testing, left wing moonbats and the mainstream media making excuses for anti-social behavior .... and then we'll all know why crime, STD, and out of wedlock births are higher today than during Jim Crow.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:50 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,747,967 times
For all those weighing in that don't live here or whose kids aren't part of old ham county schools, the 'controversy' here has NOTHING to do with race, and little to do with the dad that yahoo cites. Few even view it as a controversy.

Those who are ticked is because, like many school districts, there is a zero tolerance policy to any depiction of firearms. Kids in this school district have been sent home for wearing a shirt with depictions of firearms, for drawing them in class, or even in an extreme example, talking about hunting during deer season. Yet this picture has been displayed by an art teacher. It's been the inconsistent application of the zero tolerance policy that has some upset.

It is in a high school, not an elementary school, and has been displayed for several years.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:38 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,628,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Im in Kentucky. My Wife works in that school district. There are a few different sides to it. Obviously the child whose father is the policeman is hurt and offended. She shouldn't have to feel that way in school. But, adults need to learn from this and question why this is a child's view of the world. FYI, this is one of the most affluent districts in KY, so no ghetto or anything. Thing that bothers me is, the picture is from a previous class, why not use art from students who are currently in the class?
Well because then the teacher couldn't make her point over and over and over again.

Strange when some kids are getting kicked out of school for drawing a cartoon with a gun. I wish adults would stay on the same page. One kid is praised for the guns in his drawing and it left up for years for others to see while in the same year some kid is getting kicked out of school for drawing a gun in a cartoon.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:39 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,628,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
For all those weighing in that don't live here or whose kids aren't part of old ham county schools, the 'controversy' here has NOTHING to do with race, and little to do with the dad that yahoo cites. Few even view it as a controversy.

Those who are ticked is because, like many school districts, there is a zero tolerance policy to any depiction of firearms. Kids in this school district have been sent home for wearing a shirt with depictions of firearms, for drawing them in class, or even in an extreme example, talking about hunting during deer season. Yet this picture has been displayed by an art teacher. It's been the inconsistent application of the zero tolerance policy that has some upset.

It is in a high school, not an elementary school, and has been displayed for several years.
Yes, that is what gets me.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:06 PM

51,028 posts, read 24,528,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I am sure if this was reversed and it showed a black kid executing a cop many here would take an issue with that. While I may find what the kid drew as distasteful I would ignore it. That is someone else opinion. Go out and do your job the best you can. Cant waste time worrying about what some kid thinks.
Except that that kid or others then go and...

Old 02-28-2016, 04:14 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,899,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96
I support the BLM Movement, but I agree that's a bit harsh for a school. A picture of anybody getting shot shouldn't be in a school.
No not in todays messed up world!!

The cop does have a point!!

Old 02-28-2016, 05:57 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,152,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I think putting something like that on a school wall is over the top ignorant. I'd feel a whole lot better about it if they depicted the "victim" as a gang banging thug with a gun in his hand. Or how about depicting black on black murders, oh but wait, that's just swept under the rug. Right, silly me.
Your not the artist. That's what the artist wanted to portray.

Are you a black man/female? Have you experienced the other side of the law? I think there's a real issue with cultural bias and how we view the world. Some people really live in a "bubble" and never find out about the experiences of those different from them.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:59 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,152,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Ha Ha Ha!!! Is that what is happening?!?!? Too funny!
I think peoples perception of anything to do with Kentucky is toofless hillbillies running around with no shoes like its a Hills Have Eyes movie set. They simply can't imagine it has "nice" areas and educated people
Yeah, Oldham Co./Prospect~ the 'hood. That's rich
There are parts of KY where minorities are profiled heavily. I just heard a horror story from my sister in law about Kentucky Police.

The picture is accurate in some cases. Be glad you haven't experienced what so many of your fellow Americans have experienced. I agree with the comments about the consistency of the rules. In art I think we should allow freedom of expression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events