Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 11:32 AM

51,004 posts, read 24,497,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

Either way the police should not be aligned with the KKK. ...
Well, I can see that connection.

The police are supposed be on the side of justice.
The KKK originated, at least in part, for the desire of vigilante justice for Southern Whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Is the artist black or white? is the Cop Dad black or white? Should it matter? maybe?

The article doesn't say the age of the kids involved.

If we are talking middle school then I say it is sad that this is the state of America and those young minds are impressionable. We can blame the media for exploding incidents of race (but only when it is white on black that is)...

If the art was done and displayed in a high school then the art could serve as a starting point for a deeper conversation about race in America through the ages.

Either way the police should not be aligned with the KKK. The Police are not the enemy and that needs to be reinforced to the kids as well as the common sense that if you do not break the law then you will not have a run in with the police.

I do agree with the cop/dad but in the end the picture has provoked a conversation, a feeling and that is what art is supposed to do. I just hope Obama doesn't see this because he will probably want to hang it in the white house.
I don't see anything about Barack Obama in this news story.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:33 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,746,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Very few situations in live are actually "equal".
That painting has been up 3 years. The actual 'controversy' locally is not because the cop said something, it's because of the zero tolerance policy of any depiction of firearms in the school district: old ham, Jefferson, bullit, spencer counties.

It's not about artistic expression that is causing the outrage. It's for other students who are suspended and sent home for the same act.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Well, I can see that connection.

The police are supposed be on the side of justice.
The KKK originated, at least in part, for the desire of vigilante justice for Southern Whites.
Indiana, in the 20s, where the governor was in the kkk and it was the largest political body.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:39 AM

As they say, reality is often stranger than fiction

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Klan

Old 02-27-2016, 11:42 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,239,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A police officer father in the United States has taken to social media to complain about a piece of artwork displayed at his daughter’s school.

Kentucky cop Dave Hamblin is outraged by the painting which depicts two black people with a gun pointed at their head.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/outraged-...154237383.html

Well, if this were in Chiraq (Chicago) and the shooter was black, it could be apropos, however, if it were a white cop pointing the gun then that would be racist...the real issue is, they allow this in a school financed by the tax payers would/should be illegal.

Unless of course, the school board allows racism in all it's forms which as we all know, would be accepted and endorsed by the media, the white house, AG, and others in power.....

Just imagine a painting of two white folks or a decorated war veteran with 4 blacks pointing guns at them? You suppose that would be allowed?

Didn't think so....you know, if BLM wants a war I wish they would just start one and quit being such wussies about it. I think we could settle this relatively quickly and move on.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Indiana, in the 20s, where the governor was in the kkk and it was the largest political body.
I have no idea what your point is.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I have no idea what your point is.
Your statement about the kkk and the south... Just pointing out obvious issues with it. Just say kkk...often the more one qualifies, the more it may invalidate their point.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Well, if this were in Chiraq (Chicago) and the shooter was black, it could be apropos, however, if it were a white cop pointing the gun then that would be racist...the real issue is, they allow this in a school financed by the tax payers would/should be illegal.

Unless of course, the school board allows racism in all it's forms which as we all know, would be accepted and endorsed by the media, the white house, AG, and others in power.....

Just imagine a painting of two white folks or a decorated war veteran with 4 blacks pointing guns at them? You suppose that would be allowed?

Didn't think so....you know, if BLM wants a war I wish they would just start one and quit being such wussies about it. I think we could settle this relatively quickly and move on.
I don't see a single reference to BLM in this news story. And as I now understand it, the painting was made 3 years ago before BLM existed.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Your statement about the kkk and the south... Just pointing out obvious issues with it. Just say kkk...often the more one qualifies, the more it may invalidate their point.
There have been several iterations of the KKK, the first occurring in the 1860s during Reconstruction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events