Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 08:34 PM

743 posts, read 768,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Let's see. This was in a North Carolina High School.

Here is what black males have to deal with - here is a young man who had a car accident, went looking for help and was shot by a police officer. The woman who called 911 assumed he was a burgler (probably because he was black) and the officer who shot him had turned off his dash cam to keep people from seeing what really happened.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/29/us...-shooting.html
Ask yourself - Why would a white woman react like this towards a black male? And please don't reply 'ignorance,' 'uneducated' or "blind racism."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 08:58 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,840,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Instead of being outraged and demanding the picture be removed, the cop should ask himself why the child views police that way and what can he and other officers do to change that perception.

I have serious doubt that will happen.
Or perhaps the black community should ask themselves why the police, black and white and other, view their community the way they do.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:59 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,617,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A police officer father in the United States has taken to social media to complain about a piece of artwork displayed at his daughter’s school.

Kentucky cop Dave Hamblin is outraged by the painting which depicts two black people with a gun pointed at their head.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/outraged-...154237383.html
I don't like it. Shame on the school principal for leaving the drawing up.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:35 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,672,796 times
Outside antagonizers are making it more of a story than it needs to be. Shocking, huh? KY is way done with it, and this thread goes in to 12 pages. Where I grew up, cops beat everybody up. White, black, it didn't matter, they were a thug/bully squad. When I, as a quiet, passive white person got my beat down, it changed my views, radically.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:48 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,152,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Outside antagonizers are making it more of a story than it needs to be. Shocking, huh? KY is way done with it, and this thread goes in to 12 pages. Where I grew up, cops beat everybody up. White, black, it didn't matter, they were a thug/bully squad. When I, as a quiet, passive white person got my beat down, it changed my views, radically.
Agreed.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:56 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,628,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
There are parts of KY where minorities are profiled heavily. I just heard a horror story from my sister in law about Kentucky Police.

The picture is accurate in some cases. Be glad you haven't experienced what so many of your fellow Americans have experienced. I agree with the comments about the consistency of the rules. In art I think we should allow freedom of expression.
That happened to my friend who isn't black by the way. But yes, scary stuff. They forced her to leave her child in the car and had her face down on the pavement with guns drawn. I guess her car matched one they were looking for. Scary for sure.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:00 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,628,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Or perhaps the black community should ask themselves why the police, black and white and other, view their community the way they do.
I don't think that is accurate, the police are use to looking for crime, they view the world differently than most. You would as well if all you did ten hours a day was hunt down other people. What do we think when our society hires people to police us? Did we think they'd come out perfectly, that they wouldn't gain prejudices, paranoia, overreactions? I don't know what people expect from cops or any other group of humans we have that do our most dangerous dirty work. I always wonder why this is a shocker.

The prejudice they gain depends largely on where they work and how long they've been there. After three years of working the Portland beat my relative was suspicious of anyone who was thin with a beard and bad teeth. It happens. He dealt with a lot of Heroin and Meth addicts.

We profile all the time....just ask anyone if they'd leave their child alone with a white male in an emergency. No way! Nobody would give him the benefit of the doubt. There are a lot of white men out there, although most are not pedophiles.

Last edited by PoppySead; 02-29-2016 at 09:10 AM..

Old 02-29-2016, 09:22 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,920,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
Ask yourself - Why would a white woman react like this towards a black male? And please don't reply 'ignorance,' 'uneducated' or "blind racism."
I don't know. You tell us. Why would she react that way?

Old 02-29-2016, 11:04 AM

51,031 posts, read 24,528,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
1. This was a high school, not an elementary school

The school defended putting this drawing up:
Oldham Schools defends controversial picture

2. The school in this case is in an affluent area and is 92% white according to great schools - 2% of the students are black. According to one review in 2015, students are allowed to wear Confederate flag symbols and emblems which would certainly be upsetting to the few minority students who go there. It is a good thing for white students to be educated about social injustice, imo. And it is not good to pretend that all the social injustice happened in the past and is over.

3. Generalizing to all schools on zero tolerance is simply silly. Not every school sends home students who draw and depict guns - it depends on the particular school and the particular district. It looks like there is no zero tolerance policy in place at North Oldham High School in Kentucky where this took place.

http://www.oldham.kyschools.us/nohs/...3-14_FINAL.pdf

Real weapons are an offense for expulsion, but nothing about drawings.

4. The artwork was part of a literature class in which To Kill a Mockingbird was read. It is an honors English class and it seems to me that students would discuss the art rather than censor it. The artwork displayed what the student thought about the situation and was created before the Black Lives Matter movement came along. The artwork was apparently created when Ferguson was news. At least one senior thought the controversy was blown out of proportion.

5. The school took down this art piece along with all the other art from the period that was being studied which since the class is moving on to a different book and a different period in history.

6. The assignment was about social injustice, Green said, and was meant to encourage students “to share opinions and be prepared for the world after high school where you’re going to encounter things that you disagree with.” If we are going to prepare kids for college, they should be prepared to encounter opinions they disagree with and be able to argue for their own opinion.

7. Here is more of the display (see attachment)

Attachment 166320
Excellent post Nana. You put things into perspective (which will never fly here on City-Data).

Old 02-29-2016, 11:06 AM

51,031 posts, read 24,528,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
You tell me. Kid got sent home last year wearing a 2nd amendment shirt(.

Most of the parents I've talked to think the controversy is silly. They aren't worried about the picture but, if any representation of a gun is going to be punished, then there shouldn't be any representation of a gun allowed. Actually most would prefer to allow it, just not cherry pick.

It's funny as this is being talked about on whas radio as I'm changing the fuel filters on the vehicle
I would like you to answer the question since you have posted about the policy several times. Is there a zero tolerance policy? If it isn't written down, such a policy doesn't exist, at least in a legal sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events