Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2016, 03:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,037,719 times

Advertisements

I don't know if anyone has caught how this idea came to be, or that it really matters to some but the idea did NOT come from corporate. It came from a franchisee who noticed the conversation volume in his store had dropped to almost nothing due to everyone sitting around on their devices.

You've been in places where there's a hum of conversation, it's noticeable if that's missing in a restaurant and imo can make it "feel" empty which is not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 09:48 PM

17,612 posts, read 15,305,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I don't know if anyone has caught how this idea came to be, or that it really matters to some but the idea did NOT come from corporate. It came from a franchisee who noticed the conversation volume in his store had dropped to almost nothing due to everyone sitting around on their devices.

You've been in places where there's a hum of conversation, it's noticeable if that's missing in a restaurant and imo can make it "feel" empty which is not good.
Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

The people against this are basically the people who are against Chick-Fil-A because, in their minds, they fire LGBT employees, refuse service to same sex couples and hit people over the head with bibles as they walk in the door all while screaming "REPENT, SINNER!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:30 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,323,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Frankly, I'm tired of the phone shaming. I'm an adult and pay my own phone bill. I'll decide when I will and won't use it, and it's no one else's business whether or not it's appropriate (as long as it's not causing anyone else physical harm, or has the potential to).
I heard that. Yes, to the others, there is such a thing as "phone shaming," and I am most certainly one who is sick and tired of it.

I like Chick-Fil-A, actually. I think their chicken sandwiches are the best of a chain place, I like that they close on Sundays, and I like their general "culture" overall. HOWEVER, all they are doing here is jumping on a bandwagon. For whatever totally illogical reason, it has become something of a fad to bash people for having the audacity to use a phone anywhere other than a cave. As this poster said, I also say--unless it involves a safety issue or a REAL rudeness issue, it's absolutely not any of your business. I don't make it my business why you have tattoos, or wear pink clothes, or why you're 65 and wear a basketball jersey, or why your 4 year old child still has a "blinkie" when I know good and well you can (and really should) break a child of those things by the time they're 6 months old. I stay out of your affairs, you stay out of mine.

It's just a "fad" thing all of this phone shaming, and frankly a form of bigotry analogous to racism. Take selfies, for instance. Everyone is having the time of their life bashing "stupid selfies." Well guess what, I've been taking "stupid selfies" as far back as 2003, and always using real cameras. No one said anything about it then. HOWEVER, now that people use their phones for that, all of a sudden it's become fashionable to bash selfies and how people aren't "taking in the moment" because they're so preoccupied with taking photos on vacation vs "soaking it in." They NEVER said that when real cameras were involved, even digital ones.

I've been reading while eating for years. I did it years ago using the newspaper or magazines, no one ever said anything about that. I know read articles on my smartphone during lunch. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

People crash all the time in their cars due to any number of distractions, it's been found that there are MANY types of driving distractions. However, you NEVER hear people complaining about someone almost hitting them due to not paying attention on account of their car stereo, or their eating, or their staring at attractive joggers, and you can't tell me there isn't plenty of that sort of thing going on as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Retailers have a similar program involving cell phones. If you do not talk on your cell phones, you receive service. When your cell phone conversation is more important than checking out or finding an item, you receive no service. This concept works very well.
I am a cashier, and I DO NOT do that at all. I find it wrong. Who am I to tell a customer to "get off their phone?" They owe me no explanation. As long as the transaction can be conducted and done so quickly, it's not an issue. I can honestly say that in my case anyway it is NOT the cell phone people holding the line up, and in fact I've found them to be some of the quickest and easiest customers to deal with. The ones who DO hold the lines up are the ones nit-picking a 5 cents discrepancy on an item (as if we cashiers know what everything costs and are intentionally overcharging them, and gee whiz, come on, it's 5 cents!), ones taking all day counting their change to give you because they HAVE to get only paper bills back (as if coins are going to kill them), the ones who buy like 35-40 items even though we're not really equipped for dealing with that much (the counter space is really small) and there are TONS of people trying to buy 1-4 items quickly and get on out of there, and the ones with 9 coupons AND a "digital" coupon and when 1 of their coupons isn't honored they want you to spend all day combing over the receipt to find out why their 10 cent coupon didn't go through even though they got like $20 in discounts otherwise.

Compared to those people, the phone people are a pleasure to deal with--but again, it's always the phone people who are made out to be the spawn of Satan. Total bigotry analogous to racism, that's all it is.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:33 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,161,326 times
Very good idea, I like it!

Old 03-07-2016, 02:15 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,181,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
For whatever totally illogical reason, it has become something of a fad to bash people for having the audacity to use a phone anywhere other than a cave.
Cell phones have been around for years and years but it's only been within the last 5 -10 years that people have become absolutely addicted to them. This youngest generation coming up probably doesn't ever remember it being any other way and that is a shame. All this being connected to other people is great, until it comes at the expense of being able to connect with the people you are actually with, and that's what this campaign is all about. It's not some nefarious plot to control you, which is what it sounds like some of you are afraid of.
Phone 'shaming' is nothing more than the backlash of people tired of being ignored or treated rudely by people who cannot seem to go without their phones for longer than ten minutes without breaking into a panic.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Cell phones have been around for years and years but it's only been within the last 5 -10 years that people have become absolutely addicted to them. This youngest generation coming up probably doesn't ever remember it being any other way and that is a shame. All this being connected to other people is great, until it comes at the expense of being able to connect with the people you are actually with, and that's what this campaign is all about. It's not some nefarious plot to control you, which is what it sounds like some of you are afraid of.
Phone 'shaming' is nothing more than the backlash of people tired of being ignored or treated rudely by people who cannot seem to go without their phones for longer than ten minutes without breaking into a panic.
I disagree. I remember in the late 90s people screaming about phone distractions, yet at the time I lived in a city where a teen killed a jogger while being distracted due to adjusting the stereo in his vehicle. No one said a thing about it. Meanwhile people were going all crazy about cell phones making driving dangerous even when no one died as the jogger did.

I still say it's "shaming." I had not once EVER heard people complaining that people who take a lot of photos while on vacation or eating out or socializing with others "are not living in the moment," even when digital cameras arrived, but the minute people were using their phones, all of a sudden it became a thing. I find out-of-control children far more of a problem in stores than phone use, but phone use is all you ever hear people complaining about. As a cashier, I can tell you that in our case anyway phone users don't cause 1 billionth of a 1 per cent of the problems you always hear about, I conduct business with them just fine. The people griping over a 5 cents discrepancy or thinking that they MUST slowly dig out 42 cents to give you on their $9.42 order so they only get paper bills in return because someone apparently receiving change means the end of all civilization, they interrupt the lines way more than any phone person--but it's only the phone person you hear complaints about. There was this post going around awhile back admonishing mothers who "ignored" their children looking at their phone, as if a parent has to keep their eyes glued to their children 24/7 anyway, and as if mothers hadn't been "ignoring" children for decades due to reading books or magazines or chatting with their friends who were with them.

People to me are throwing a fit over nothing for the most part. There may be some extreme cases, and I've seen a few, but by and large I'm not seeing this massive ignoring of people, and like the one person said, that's the family's business anyway, it's not anyone else's business to make an issue of.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:59 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,181,230 times
Phone distraction is not the same as phone addiction, reaching to adjust the radio knob on the radio is hardly the same as constantly texting while driving on a busy road. When people are so addicted they sneak off to the bathroom at work in order to use their phones that is a problem.
People taking vacation photos (usually with a kind stranger helping because 'selfies' weren't really possible until fairly recently) are not the same thing as people who feel the need to document every mundane little detail of their lives, right on down to pictures of the food they order at a restaurant, and share them with everyone on social media. It's extremely self absorbed and seems to be reaching epidemic proportions. It's not at all the same, except for the twits back in the early days who made sure everyone know how important they were by screaming into their suitcase sized mobile phones at every opportunity, those types of morons will always be around.
And saying that it's only the business of the people directly involved, well that's not really accurate, it is a problem that affects society as a whole. It's kind of like saying that meth use isn't really a problem if it doesn't affect you directly.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:40 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,331,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I can't believe all the people are bashing this idea. Oh wait, I can. I'm betting the people bashing it are the same ones who have their eyes glued to their phones the entire time they are supposedly eating out with their "family." ...
I'm bashing the idea —ven though I am VERY STRONGLY against people having phones at the table. I've expressed that opinion before here on C-D. I think it's bad manners, I think when children are involved it's bad parenting, it's the equivalent of me whipping out a book and reading while my table mates are having a conversation. That said, I don't think it's the business of this restaurant, or any other, what I do while I'm eating or how families parent their children. And this particular restaurant has a bad habit of trying to effect social change through their interactions with the public. They're not content merely to make a fortune selling food.

It's been my experience that the people who are most public about preaching "family values" often do not share my definition of that phrase. So I prefer for them to mind their own business. I understand the OP said this is a particular franchisee doing this and not the entire chain. I wouldn't know though because I've already been boycotting Chick-Fil-A for years, in support of the Human Rights Campaign.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Phone distraction is not the same as phone addiction, reaching to adjust the radio knob on the radio is hardly the same as constantly texting while driving on a busy road.
Given that tweaking the knob on the radio and the distraction it created resulted in an innocent woman being killed, I beg to differ.

Quote:
When people are so addicted they sneak off to the bathroom at work in order to use their phones that is a problem.
For whom? Their boss, I assume, but until the boss complains, it's not anybody's business. Besides that, maybe the employees are doing that because their boss thinks it's still the 1980s and that glancing at one's phone even for a nanosecond even if it doesn't affect one's work is somehow akin to breaking the Ten Commandments, and the enlightened employees have no interest in going all day long without hearing from their child's school or babysitter. (And why should they have to bother with giving such people their company phones when they have their own?)

Quote:
People taking vacation photos (usually with a kind stranger helping because 'selfies' weren't really possible until fairly recently) are not the same thing as people who feel the need to document every mundane little detail of their lives, right on down to pictures of the food they order at a restaurant, and share them with everyone on social media. It's extremely self absorbed and seems to be reaching epidemic proportions.
I was taking selfies and photos of the food and the plate it was on in the restaurant as far back as 2003, some 13 years ago. And again, it's nobody's business if someone wants to do that. You can think it's some "epidemic" all you want, but me, I've been doing it for at least 12 years thanks to no longer being constrained by film. Had digital existed in the 1980s I'd been doing it then too. People can think I have some "epidemic" all they want. Frankly I think they have too much time on their hands and need to pay more attention to their OWN lives and butt out of mine.

Or, as this article puts it, in part: "I’m going to show you a video. A video that will make you want to put down your phone, dance on the swiss alps, reconnect with loved ones and experience what life is REALLY about. A video that tells you social media is not the answer and that smartphones are the root of all evil in the world....But you know what all these videos have in common? They’re kind of [horse manure]. And it’s high time we all said that out loud." Exactly.

5 reasons smartphone shaming has got to stop. Seriously, people.

I typically like Chick-Fil-A, but in this case I think they've simply fallen for the "phone shaming" intolerance fad that everyone & their cousin seems to participate in these days. Too many people these days think another's behavior which has nothing to do with them and doesn't affect them in the least is somehow their business.

Last edited by shyguylh; 03-07-2016 at 04:16 AM..

Old 03-07-2016, 06:38 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,536,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

The people against this are basically the people who are against Chick-Fil-A because, in their minds, they fire LGBT employees, refuse service to same sex couples and hit people over the head with bibles as they walk in the door all while screaming "REPENT, SINNER!"
Not true. I don't like this gimmick, and have no opinion on their LGBT positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events