Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2016, 09:00 PM

6,805 posts, read 2,935,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Their little contribution to family togetherness, I suppose. Mom, Dad and the kids go out to eat, they feel they should talk to each other, not be buried in phones.
A possible remark from the not too distant future: "It's been suggested that we actually communicate with one another face-to-face. I believe that people used to do this at one time. WHAT a quaint and novel idea!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 09:04 PM

6,805 posts, read 2,935,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
What would I get for free there, I don't even carry a phone ?
YOU deserve both a sandwich AND an ice cream merely for standing out from among the crowd of 'smart phone crazies'.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:22 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,965,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Dumb idea.

What's next they will give away freedom fries for bringing a Bible and reading it with your family.

Why don't they just limit themselves to sell food? Who do they think they are to tell their customers what they should be doing or not while they eat their greasy food?
You and your family do not have to go there. Some families love this idea, how can the kids argue about something everyone else is doing?

Some people find family talk much more important at meal time than clicking phones and no conversation.

Would you object to families who choose to have Bible study with fries?

Old 03-06-2016, 01:12 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 3 days ago)

16,093 posts, read 21,222,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
At a restaurant, where you can presumably do as you please once you are seated, I don't see the big deal. If the people that you are eating with do not mind - why does Chic Fil A care?
Chic Fil A doesn't care, that's why it's a choice and not a policy. It's simply a marketing gimmick, and a pretty good one for a company that wants to promote themselves as family friendly. At the very least it certainly has people talking.
(phone shaming? lmao)

Old 03-06-2016, 07:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,066,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
1. No, it's not a bad idea at all. But someone may not be there by choice, I'm not going to get mad at them at checking the Final Four Scores if their other people at the table are excluding them from a conversation which is not interesting anyway.

2. No they are a big business. They can do whatever they want for marketing. I can choose however to eat at a place that does not make this big a deal over smartphones.

3. No. But it seems like this program discriminates against single people who dine alone since they have no family to be distracted from.
The "big deal" is about an idea that people should actually be conversing with each other when sitting together instead of being buried in their own electronic world.

It's got nothing to do with any "anti-cell phone" agenda nor does it discriminate against anyone. Doesn't a group or a family by definition have to be more than ONE person?

As for a "big deal"? I see this right along the lines of a new Happy Meal toy ad campaign. If you don't want to talk to your family or whomever your sitting with and prefer to focus on electronics then DON'T PARTICIPATE. It's not like an employee is going to stand there and browbeat you into submission.

Good gravy people, we're talking about an ice cream cone being given if people will actually take a break from their electronic world for the span of a meal....

EVIL I SAY, PURE EVIL!

Old 03-06-2016, 07:11 AM

743 posts, read 768,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
No, but I'm not gonna police what other people do especially when I don't know if maybe they really need to use the phone. Like someone said people could be waiting for job interviews, have emergencies or simply might need to talk to someone who they can't speak to later on.
yes, they are in the business of selling greasy food, not in the business of telling people what phone behavior they find rewarding.
if they cared about their customers they would leave them alone not try to impose their self-righteousness. It's none of their business if people use their phones or not. "Rewarding" behavior is a judgment call. It's telling people what they think they should be doing. Again it's not their business.

the company is sending a message. They are telling people what they think good behavior is. Again none of their business.

It's not about choice. Choice is letting people eat their meals however they want.

What they are doing is sending a message. Telling people how they think they should eat their meals.
This has you really upset, yes? Chick-fil-A and their great food isn't telling you to do anything ... If you don't like them, don't go there. It's really simple.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:28 AM

21,031 posts, read 27,346,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
My bank does this. There is a sign where the line forms that tells you that cell phone usage is not allowed during transactions. Use it all you want in line, but once you get to a teller, put it away.

Great policy.
Banks are not the only service providers that have policies against cell phone usage. Healthcare providers and pharmacies have policies in place to maintain patient confidentiality and Protected Health Information (PHI) and be compliant with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 2003.

I have worked in a retail pharmacy before. The pharmacy team could not serve any patient until he or she completed his or her call on his or her cell phone. A bad customer who thought her cell phone conversation was more important than getting a prescription filled logged a complaint with a store management member. The store management member decided to have fun with paperwork against the pharmacy team because the pharmacy team members were following strict federal and state pharmacy law.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:11 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,616,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Not that I was specifically addressing talking on your phone while dining at a restaurant but since you brought it up actually its been my experience that often those talking on their phone in public seem to TALK SO MUCH LOUDER than people having a face to face conversation. I dont know if its just the act of being on the phone, bad reception or the look at me, look at me I'm talking on my phone.
I think so too. It's much different than talking to someone else at their table.

Same thing for in line at a store. People talking to each other = no problem. Yelling on the phone: problem.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:22 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,780,034 times
Rarely do I eat at any fast-food joints, but to drum up more business, the Chick-Fil-A restaurant operators have a good idea. Take it for what it is, it's sad sign of our current times.

I despise how often people use their cell phones while eating dinner. I dislike it just as I do if you're socializing with someone (a friend or family member) at a restaurant and that person cannot keep their eyes and hands off their phone for just half an hour or so. It's plain rude to do this with others in your company.

If I did not need one for work, I would not personally have a smart phone. For my own personal use, I would keep just a basic flip or dumb phone for emergencies.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:46 PM

6,166 posts, read 4,639,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The "big deal" is about an idea that people should actually be conversing with each other when sitting together instead of being buried in their own electronic world.

It's got nothing to do with any "anti-cell phone" agenda nor does it discriminate against anyone. Doesn't a group or a family by definition have to be more than ONE person?

As for a "big deal"? I see this right along the lines of a new Happy Meal toy ad campaign. If you don't want to talk to your family or whomever your sitting with and prefer to focus on electronics then DON'T PARTICIPATE. It's not like an employee is going to stand there and browbeat you into submission.

Good gravy people, we're talking about an ice cream cone being given if people will actually take a break from their electronic world for the span of a meal....

EVIL I SAY, PURE EVIL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Rarely do I eat at any fast-food joints, but to drum up more business, the Chick-Fil-A restaurant operators have a good idea. Take it for what it is, it's sad sign of our current times.

I despise how often people use their cell phones while eating dinner. I dislike it just as I do if you're socializing with someone (a friend or family member) at a restaurant and that person cannot keep their eyes and hands off their phone for just half an hour or so. It's plain rude to do this with others in your company.

If I did not need one for work, I would not personally have a smart phone. For my own personal use, I would keep just a basic flip or dumb phone for emergencies.
Finally, a couple people who are starting to grasp the point of this. The technology of phones and other technology can be a great tool, but there's an appropriate time and place for it and an inappropriate time and place for it. Too many people lack the good judgment/common courtesy/class/social skills to discern this, so we either have to try and legislate common sense (i.e. no texting while driving so you don't head on crash into someone) or do it through social pressure, in campaigns such as Chick Fil A's.

It's actually sad to see people being with others in person ignoring each other because of this. The worst are the parents with kids who are probably begging/starving for attention (not in a spoiled way, but just in a totally natural and understandable "I need some human attention" way) because their parents are too glued to their phones doing who knows what, talking to who knows who. And I'm sure many of these people are having to work crazy hours, so when they do have a few minutes with their kids, that could be quality time, they're monkeying around on some stupid Facebook nonsense or Farmville or whatever these phone monkeys do. Not that every second has to be a Hallmark moment, but I see people who seem glued to their phones when they're with other people ALL THE TIME when they should at least be having some quality family time, which they won't get back. It's the saddest when those people are always doing this when they're with their kids, and who knows the long term psychological effects that may show up when kids think Mommy's phone is more important than hearing about my day at school, et. al. I would bet that two possible outcomes are that inappropriate behavior displayed by the kids' parents is either going to fester into resentment/insecurity or the kids are going to mimic the same antisocial behavior when they get older.

I don't agree with much of the politics that Chick-Fil-A espouses (or that they sanctimoniously broadcast all kinds of politics to begin with) but I really do agree with the logic of why they are having such a voluntary campaign. And if people don't like this, they certainly don't have to patronize Chik-Fil-A.

In a way, it's rather sad that Chick-fil-A would even see the need to do this, but for anyone who's gone out in public anytime recently and seen this happening everywhere, there's no mystery as to why they're doing it.

Last edited by Jowel; 03-06-2016 at 01:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events