Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 01:04 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Hell yeah! People used to come to my table since I was eating alone and try to start some of the stupidest conversations. I just wanted a meal, not to meet random people. The smartphone is one hell of a deterrent to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
And sadly, that's not even a deterrent sometimes!
Yeah because where I would normally not bother someone, if they were engrossed in their phone I might just want to go over and annoy them. What ya watching, is that a game, is that a new app, can I see. Or just sit silently looking over their shoulder.

JK. I wouldn't because that is one of those rules of conduct that people should abide by if they wish to live in a civilized society. Not invading peoples space. Just like not talking loudly on your phone, or ignoring others because your engrossed in your device or belching and farting, smoking, swearing, etc.

If you want to plug into your phone when you are out to eat with your family or friends is no business of mine, unless your holding up the waitstaff. I think its sad and don't tolerate it with those Im with but if that's what others want to do. I think its a nice attempt by CF to draw awareness to family time and give customers that incentive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
People also need to be reminded that not everything is their business. We don't know why the family members at the table are all on their phones. They have their own reasons, and it's no one's concern but their own.
No one is making it their business. I dont care what they are doing at their table as long as its not interfering with my meal. Its an option, a promotion by the restaurant. No one has to participate. Its not like the phone police are going to come take your phone.

When rude cell phone users talk so loudly that you cant help but hear details of their sex-capdes last night or who is doing what what with whom or what they had for supper, or they are holding up the line by ignoring service people, or causing a driving hazard, or obstructing access because they are oblivious to their surroundings it becomes others business.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:12 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,716 times
Quote:
True story: I went to a restaurant for lunch and I was waiting on a call for a job interview. Right when the waitress came to start my order, the job calls to set up an interview. I asked the waitress to give me a minute while I set up the interview. She went to another table, came back my call was done. I even tipped her 25% for the trouble. Any wait staff that can clearly see their table is preoccupied with a call can go wait another table until the call is done.
The difference is you had the courtesy to tell the waitress to give you a minute. I see the holding up of the finger like wait for me while I finish my important call because I am more important than anybody else. Your call is an exception and you handled it properly. You are not the person I am referring to.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:30 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,232,803 times
phone shaming?

i don't see anything wrong with the offer. it is just an offer. it's not like you walk in the door and they take your phone away and force you to take a free ice cream.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
True story: I went to a restaurant for lunch and I was waiting on a call for a job interview. Right when the waitress came to start my order, the job calls to set up an interview. I asked the waitress to give me a minute while I set up the interview. She went to another table, came back my call was done. I even tipped her 25% for the trouble. Any wait staff that can clearly see their table is preoccupied with a call can go wait another table until the call is done.
IDK. In your situation you explained yourself and asked the server to come back later. I dont see a problem with that but If I were the waitress and got shooed away when I came to take an order because someone was just preoccupied with a phone call it might be a long wait before I came back to your table. I feel the same way when an employee, server, cashier or whatever is on their phone when I am needing something or checking out. I have had that happen as well.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:40 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,910,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
phone shaming?

i don't see anything wrong with the offer. it is just an offer. it's not like you walk in the door and they take your phone away and force you to take a free ice cream.
Yeah, but some people are total jackwads that can't understand the simplicity of a voluntary offer and have to ride on their high horse of self-righteousness.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:53 PM

19,835 posts, read 12,090,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Yeah, but some people are total jackwads that can't understand the simplicity of a voluntary offer and have to ride on their high horse of self-righteousness.
Some people are perpetually aggrieved.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:02 PM

79 posts, read 53,859 times
There is actually a scientific reason that listening to people talking on a phone is generally more annoying than overhearing a conversation in person. There was a study done (don't remember where I saw it at the moment) that showed that people are most annoyed when they can only hear one side of a conversation. They theorized that the annoyance comes from your brain trying to "fill in" the other side. Interesting theory.

Otherwise, I've got no opinion on this PR piece. I do think that maybe it would be good for CD to have a Marketing and PR section for "stories" like these because they are basically just advertisements. Too often current events is filled with non-stories like this that are just ways for corporations to get their name in the news. CFA having a promotional isn't really a current event anymore than a department store advertising a weekend sale is a "current event".

Old 03-03-2016, 03:19 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,597 times
Oh for frig sake... if you want to stick your nose in your phone, go for it. If you want free ice cream, put it away. It's not that darn difficult. And if you don't like Chick-Fil-A for whatever reason, don't go there.

Simple. I swear, people have to get offended over everything.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:37 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,170,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Personally, I firmly believe that ALL restaurants should have a well-grounded Faraday cage built into the walls, windows, roof and doors so that NO RF radiation will penetrate!
If you want to use your phone, or 2-way radio, or wi-fi or anything that relies on RF radiation, take it outside to a patio or sidewalk table.
IF they choose to provide such tables.
If a business chooses to provide an incentive to put the phones away, that is for them to say, the public should have no say in the matter, nor should the government. Their business, their choice.
If any individual finds the business owner's choices abhorrent, that individual; is free to vote with his feet, by staying out of the establishment.
The business probably has a land line available for 911, fire or police calls when/if needed.
Lol.

Good luck with that. A lot of QSRs and restaurants are actually doing the opposite, by offering free Wi-Fi to their customers. Could you imagine if Buffalo Wild Wings or Wingstop did that? Literally no one (well, maybe the guy who takes a hand-held radio to a baseball game) would go there, especially during big sporting events like the Super Bowl and March Madness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events