Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 03:38 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,474,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Dumb idea.

What's next they will give away freedom fries for bringing a Bible and reading it with your family.

Why don't they just limit themselves to sell food? Who do they think they are to tell their customers what they should be doing or not while they eat their greasy food?
Relax...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 03:48 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,303,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I can't believe all the people are bashing this idea. Oh wait, I can. I'm betting the people bashing it are the same ones who have their eyes glued to their phones the entire time they are supposedly eating out with their "family."
I have a feeling the people bashing it are people who disagree with Chick-Fil-A's religious views. I don't think it's a gimmick. I think they are just trying to encourage families to interact. And I doubt they need to use gimmicks to drum up business; they are always busy.

I like their food okay, but I absolutely appreciate their customer service.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:48 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,063,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Dumb idea.

What's next they will give away freedom fries for bringing a Bible and reading it with your family.

Why don't they just limit themselves to sell food? Who do they think they are to tell their customers what they should be doing or not while they eat their greasy food?
Is it that they close on Sunday for religious reasons or that they took a stand on other religious issues important to them?
Clearly their give-away had no religious reasons stated, or did you see one everyone else missed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Gimmick. Makes me want to go to Chick-fil-A and talk on my phone while having my chicken sandwich.
Why, just to be a contrary arse? Go ahead, talk away. Just don't complain when you don't get a free cone (but why would I think you would do just that?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Yeah, but some people are total jackwads that can't understand the simplicity of a voluntary offer and have to ride on their high horse of self-righteousness.
It's not self-righteousness, it's only got to do with one thing. Someone's FAITH and the hatred of anyone who dares to admit to having it.

I think it's an interesting marketing plan that might just get some families to realize how little they actually speak to each other.
If that's the outcome, good on 'em!

Old 03-03-2016, 03:55 PM

17,659 posts, read 15,366,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Oh for frig sake... if you want to stick your nose in your phone, go for it. If you want free ice cream, put it away. It's not that darn difficult. And if you don't like Chick-Fil-A for whatever reason, don't go there.

Simple. I swear, people have to get offended over everything.
Ben and Jerry's just told a couple whose 19 year old son died in a hazing incident to step off over the "Hazed and Confused" flavor of ice cream.

The couple said it promoted hazing.

I'm actually rather surprised that B&J grew a set.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:56 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,474,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I have a feeling the people bashing it are people who disagree with Chick-Fil-A's religious views. I don't think it's a gimmick. I think they are just trying to encourage families to interact. And I doubt they need to use gimmicks to drum up business; they are always busy.
True. They're a top 10 restaurant in revenue and employee satisfaction, and the #1 chicken restaurant, even though they're only open 6 days a week. And they're #1 in customer satisfaction. Not like they're really starving for business.

At this point, a gimmick for them would be to open on Sunday, not offer free ice cream. It's optional, nobody is being forced to participate, and nothing is being forced on anyone. Even the whole gay marriage controversy wasn't being forced. Everyone was welcome to come and eat. "Oh wait, is that you're lesbian lover in the passenger seat? Sorry, ma'am, but I'ma need your food back. Ketchup packets too..." Don't ever recall that happening.

Not really sure what the big deal is here.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:24 PM

16,430 posts, read 12,568,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Personally, I firmly believe that ALL restaurants should have a well-grounded Faraday cage built into the walls, windows, roof and doors so that NO RF radiation will penetrate!
If you want to use your phone, or 2-way radio, or wi-fi or anything that relies on RF radiation, take it outside to a patio or sidewalk table.
IF they choose to provide such tables.
If a business chooses to provide an incentive to put the phones away, that is for them to say, the public should have no say in the matter, nor should the government. Their business, their choice.
If any individual finds the business owner's choices abhorrent, that individual; is free to vote with his feet, by staying out of the establishment.
The business probably has a land line available for 911, fire or police calls when/if needed.
Great way to kill off their business.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Carrying on a 30 minute conversation at a restaurant in a loud voice that disturbs others is not acceptable.

Giving the evil eye or saying something to someone who takes a quick phone call in a restaurant that doesn't disturb others is not acceptable.

If you're person #1.. You're not being shamed. You're being called out for being a rude @(#$.

If you're person #2.. You're a nosy, busybody @*!#.
Person #1's problem isn't the phone. It's their inability to recognize their own volume. I'd be willing to be they're a loud @(#$ with or without a phone.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No one is making it their business. I dont care what they are doing at their table as long as its not interfering with my meal. Its an option, a promotion by the restaurant. No one has to participate. Its not like the phone police are going to come take your phone.
BS. Plenty of people are making it their business. CFA is making it their business. Literally. Sure, it's an option, but it's literally calling out anyone who chooses to be on their phone in their restaurant.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Oh for frig sake... if you want to stick your nose in your phone, go for it. If you want free ice cream, put it away. It's not that darn difficult. And if you don't like Chick-Fil-A for whatever reason, don't go there.

Simple. I swear, people have to get offended over everything.
So what if they do? How does it affect your life if I choose to have an opinion against phone shaming?

Old 03-03-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post

I like their food okay, but I absolutely appreciate their customer service.
I don't give a damn about their religious views. I love CFA's food. I would eat there more if it weren't for dietary restrictions. I just think it's a silly gimmick, and none of their business if families choose to be on their phones while eating their chicken sandwiches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events