Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 06:24 AM

17,154 posts, read 12,999,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Retailers have a similar program involving cell phones. If you do not talk on your cell phones, you receive service. When your cell phone conversation is more important than checking out or finding an item, you receive no service. This concept works very well.
That's the way it is in our business. The incentive is simple. If you ignore the employees via your phone, we ignore you. When you don't, we help you. No ice cream required
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 07:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,066,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Does this apply to gay families?
Who really cares?

Old 03-04-2016, 10:33 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,810,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Personally, I firmly believe that ALL restaurants should have a well-grounded Faraday cage built into the walls, windows, roof and doors so that NO RF radiation will penetrate!
If you want to use your phone, or 2-way radio, or wi-fi or anything that relies on RF radiation, take it outside to a patio or sidewalk table.
IF they choose to provide such tables.
If a business chooses to provide an incentive to put the phones away, that is for them to say, the public should have no say in the matter, nor should the government. Their business, their choice.
If any individual finds the business owner's choices abhorrent, that individual; is free to vote with his feet, by staying out of the establishment.
The business probably has a land line available for 911, fire or police calls when/if needed.
Drawback, when cops are in there, they can't get any signals and thus unable to respond to "Mall shooting" while chowing down...

Old 03-04-2016, 11:34 AM

16,432 posts, read 12,571,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Doesn't affect my life at all, because I'm not making up stupid terms like "phone shaming" or getting my panties in a wad about something so ridiculous.

And by the way, I sit in restaurants all the time with my head in my phone - and this doesn't bother me in the least. Even if they said that it wasn't optional and I had to put my phone away to eat there, I would either do it or get my food to go.

Seriously, unclench buddy... unclench.
Not clenched in the least. Thanks for your concern.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:51 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,914,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I can't believe all the people are bashing this idea. Oh wait, I can. I'm betting the people bashing it are the same ones who have their eyes glued to their phones the entire time they are supposedly eating out with their "family." There have been countless times I've seen a group of friends go out, a dating couple, or family eat out together, and you wouldn't even know they're together except for the fact that they're sitting at the same table. They're so addicted to those stupid phones they can't take their eyes off them. The saddest situations I've seen are the times many moms are out with their toddlers. The toddlers want their mom's attention, and reach for her or talk to her, and she's so busy looking at her phone she ignores him/her the majority of the time they're at the restaurant. As for the challenge, my wife and I don't need it, because we detach from our phones when we're out together already. We don't need a dangling carrot offered by a restaurant, because we already have the most precious incentive in the world: keeping our marriage strong and happy by focusing our attention on each other.
While it is a problem, I bet you that's less than 10% of total people you come across in a restaurant.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:54 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,252,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Me talking on MY phone at MY table doesn't affect you any differently than talking to the people sitting at my table.
this is the basic problem of the world. we don't live in a bubble independent of others in public. if you were loud and annoying at a public restaurant at YOUR own table as are most people on their phones, annoying ringtones and all and not realizing it, i'd remind you to shut the f&ck up.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:58 AM

anyone saying, "i'm going to chik-fila now and turn my phone up really loud and shout into it while i eat my chicken sandwich just cos a christian said i won't get ice cream" is a bonafide douchebag and/or had really bad relationship with his mother.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
anyone saying, "i'm going to chik-fila now and turn my phone up really loud and shout into it while i eat my chicken sandwich just cos a christian said i won't get ice cream" is a bonafide douchebag and/or had really bad relationship with his mother.
Well it's a good thing no one in this thread has said that.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Well it's a good thing no one in this thread has said that.
some have expressed that.. "no one" does not equate you.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
some have expressed that.. "no one" does not equate you.
I think you're probably referring to my statement that others have agreed with:

Quote:
Makes me want to go to Chick-fil-A and talk on my phone while having my chicken sandwich.
Which is a far cry from what you posted.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events