Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 10:19 AM

34,127 posts, read 17,183,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
He's a miserable ingrate for inappropriately quitting his $13.5 million dollar job .
He retired.not inappropriate. Made $72 mill already. Money not an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Classy my assy. If he wanted to quit, he should have shut up and quit. Instead he decided to make it public that they wanted his dopey kid NOT TO BE IN THE CLUBHOUSE every freakin day of the season, which is .
what the Sox agreed to when they signed the deal.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:58 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,227,507 times
Quote:
The preposterous story:

LaRoche retiring after Sox say son can't be there every day - NY Daily News

This whiny entitled pain in the neck is going to take his baseball glove and go home. They are paying him 13.5 MILLION to play a kid's game, and this miserable ingrate wants to whine and cry because they won't let him take his kid to work every day.

Talk about first world problems...
Well he did give up $13,000,000 because the team broke a promise. I can't take my kid to work either.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:17 AM

25,641 posts, read 17,379,102 times
Good time to make a point about The Hedonic Treadmill.

Look it up. You will find the that Hedonic Treadmill is a term applied to human behavior that refers to our ability to return to a set level of happiness regardless of major events in our lives.
So, while we would think that foregoing a 13 million dollar year would cause us to be unhappy, our friend LaRoche knows differently. He knows that he is only going to need so much money in his life and he already has that amount.
He also knows that watching his son grow and learn will provide a long lasting happiness - much more than, say, being inducted into the hall of fame.

The Hedonic Treadmill is the phenomenon that cause some people to be wildly successful on one hand and miserable people on the other. Whatever they quickly becomes a new normal for them. They adapt, and then quickly strive for more.
It's an interesting subject - or "trap", more accurately - and watching LaRoche avoid it gives me hope for us all.
Want to see examples of the Hedonic Treadmill out of control? Look at politicians who gained office as relative unknowns and then can never seem to acquire quite enough power and money.

FWIW: Just because a person is financially successful does not mean he has fallen victim to this phenomenon. Some people are doing what they truly love to do and making gobs of money doing it. These people would be about as happy with much less money.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:30 AM

614 posts, read 1,239,582 times
Wow. I just don't understand the outrage either way.

This is what I really think happened. Laroche was in decline as a baseball player. The white sox was thinking his $13 million dollar salary would be nice to get off the books to spend somewhere else. What they afforded him to do when he was a better player gave him a little special treatment which was not sayin anything about his son coming to the field everyday cause hey, everyone knows in sports, if you're good, they'll bend over backwards to make you happy.

In his decline, the sox decided to not bend over backwards anymore and asked him if he could scale back bringing his son to the field everyday. This in hopes that he will do what he did was to retire so they can be off the hook for the $13 million. It worked like a charm.

Business is business.

Laroche decided that he's made enough money that money wasn't an issue so he retired to spend more time with his family which is nothing wrong with that.

I don't see the big issue here either way. Move on.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:11 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,288,608 times
I wonder what the son thinks about the situation? Since he obviously loved being at the ballpark, I would think he would have been ok with a reduced visitation schedule, instead of NOTHING AT ALL! Think about it...the kid was living out the dream of so many boys in this country and all of a sudden, BAM! Gone, goodbye. He probably blames himself. I hope Laroche at least asked the kid his thoughts on quitting the team before he walked away.
If it was me, I'd rather go half as often instead of never again.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:46 PM

614 posts, read 1,239,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I wonder what the son thinks about the situation? Since he obviously loved being at the ballpark, I would think he would have been ok with a reduced visitation schedule, instead of NOTHING AT ALL! Think about it...the kid was living out the dream of so many boys in this country and all of a sudden, BAM! Gone, goodbye. He probably blames himself. I hope Laroche at least asked the kid his thoughts on quitting the team before he walked away.
If it was me, I'd rather go half as often instead of never again.
I would think that the kid was living the dream regardless with his dad being a long time major league player and making so much money where I doubt that anyone in the family would never have a money issue ever. But I get what you're saying. However, the son will even after all of this, have many doors open for him with who his dad is that probably 99% of kids out there don't.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:58 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,288,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
I would think that the kid was living the dream regardless with his dad being a long time major league player and making so much money where I doubt that anyone in the family would never have a money issue ever. But I get what you're saying. However, the son will even after all of this, have many doors open for him with who his dad is that probably 99% of kids out there don't.
Agree

Old 03-20-2016, 05:54 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,071,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Oh, THESE are the kind of values you object to. Yeah, I'd hate to have someone like that as a neighbor, would'nt you?(sarcasm at full intensity😏?).
Actually I really don't want a Duggar Duck Dynasty mystic as a neighbor. I feel they are unbalanced and can go off at any time since in such a person Reason is subjugated to Fear and Fantasy. Fundamentalism is not innocent. It's a state of compromised mentality and in its full incarnation leads to ISIS and World Trade Centers and such. Keep this type of malingerer far far away.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Actually I really don't want a Duggar Duck Dynasty mystic as a neighbor. I feel they are unbalanced and can go off at any time since in such a person Reason is subjugated to Fear and Fantasy. Fundamentalism is not innocent. It's a state of compromised mentality and in its full incarnation leads to ISIS and World Trade Centers and such. Keep this type of malingerer far far away.
DDD types earn $72, not $72 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events