Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 01:30 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,844,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I suggest you read all the posts before you make snap judgements. It's not primarily about the father's decision quitting his job to be with his child. It's also about his entitlement minded attitude that he should be allowed to do something no one else in the working world is allowed to do. It's about the consideration of his fellow teammates. It's about not letting the kid spend time with others the same age.

The unfavorable consensus goes way beyond the first page but not just for the reasons you are assuming.
1) He's an MLB player. Half the things in their contracts are things that 'no one else in the working world' gets.

2) He didn't claim his contract entitled him to it - he asked, was rejected, and so retired. Really, it's no different that if I won the lottery. Would i keep working? No... but I might tell my employer that if they tripled my salary, cut my hours to 2/week at full (now tripled) pay, gave me 26 weeks of fully-paid vacation each year, and granted me full paid use of the corporate jet for 15 days annually, then I'd stay on. Would they decline? Um... yeah. But then, I have much less to offer than an MLB player. Still, it's not a demand - it's just, essentially, the same as when a team tells a once-great player (maybe he once won an MVP or a Cy Young) who is a shell of his former self to accept reassignment to AAA or be released, changing circumstances have resulted in one side or the other changing the terms by which they're willing to continue the association. The player can get all bent and rail about how arrogant the team is being or the injustice of it all, but it's just business. And vice versa.

3) Mind you, I don't blame the team for turning him down, either. Just like he's applying his own costs/benefits analysis to the situation, so is the team. Again, that's business. Yet people are acting like it's some great affront. Mountains from molehills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
A large bulk of the baseball season falls during the summer.
And most games are night games (especially during the week). And all the MLB off-days are during the week, not on weekends.

Like I said before, I've never even heard of this guy, nor do I care if he plays or where, but I am fascinated by how worked up people have gotten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 01:49 PM

34,127 posts, read 17,183,073 times
Quote:
I suggest you read all the posts before you make snap judgements. It's not primarily about the father's decision quitting his job to be with his child. It's also about his entitlement minded attitude that he should be allowed to do something no one else in the working world is allowed to do. .
Joe Lunch Bucket is not as rare as a pro baseball player. We have about 800 out of 320 million people.
LaRoche had a verbally negotiated deal with the club, agreed upon when the CLUB pursued him. One VP changed the deal, and poisoned the clubhouse long-term. Write off the White Sox, and VP Williams will be fired within 2 years.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:52 PM

887 posts, read 1,218,721 times
I have no doubt his kid has a real head start on the next generation of spoiled, entitled brats.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:34 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,925,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Well if he's been earning that kind of money all these years, he's probably well enough off to retire.
Exactly, he does not need to work. He can demand whatever he wants.

I am retiring at 65 unless the company provides me with a blonde, brunette, redhead and a security guard to watch for the wife.

I think most conservatives place family ahead of work especially in cases where you do not need your job. I realize for most of us taking care of your family means working.

I believe an employer should be able to fire for any reason and certainly believe an employee should be able to quit for any reason unless both sides have a contract limiting free will.

Last edited by whogo; 03-19-2016 at 04:03 PM..

Old 03-19-2016, 05:05 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,365,179 times
Quote:
I suggest you read all the posts before you make snap judgements. It's not primarily about the father's decision quitting his job to be with his child. It's also about his entitlement minded attitude that he should be allowed to do something no one else in the working world is allowed to do. It's about the consideration of his fellow teammates. It's about not letting the kid spend time with others the same age.

The unfavorable consensus goes way beyond the first page but not just for the reasons you are assuming.
Not sure what part(s) of my post that you consider "snap judgements". I skimmed the first page and decided to add my opinion.

I don't even know what you think I'm assuming.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:34 PM

11,178 posts, read 16,049,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
This whiny entitled pain in the neck is going to take his baseball glove and go home. They are paying him 13.5 MILLION to play a kid's game, and this miserable ingrate wants to whine and cry because they won't let him take his kid to work every day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
We now see that this guy is a Duck Dynasty class holy roller type. And that irrational personality type generally has no problem imposing itself on others and demanding compliant behavior from others around them. So I can imagine the nonsense that was going on.

The White Sox did the right thing, and he should be sent packing back to the swamp as it were.
First of all, I agree that the White Sox did the right thing.

That said, I don't understand all of the vitriol spewed at the father by you and others for making his decision that his family is more important to him than his job. What is wrong with that?

Let's make this a more generic situation: An employee who is a man of faith and believes that family comes first, wants to brings his son to work every day. Management balks at this idea and tells him he can't do that and he'll have to choose between being an employee or being a 24/7 father. Employee, who happens to be wealthy and doesn't need the money from the job to provide for his family, decides that his family is more important to him than his profession, so he chooses to quit his job in order to spend all of his time with his family.

Is that really a reason to castigate an individual? I wonder how many people, if given the choice and opportunity to stay home with family with no financial repercussions rather than work all day, would choose their job over their family?

Now, tell me again why the guy is a miserable ingrate with an irrational personality?

Old 03-19-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
First of all, I agree that the White Sox did the right thing.

That said, I don't understand all of the vitriol spewed at the father by you and others for making his decision that his family is more important to him than his job. What is wrong with that?

Let's make this a more generic situation: An employee who is a man of faith and believes that family comes first, wants to brings his son to work every day. Management balks at this idea and tells him he can't do that and he'll have to choose between being an employee or being a 24/7 father. Employee, who happens to be wealthy and doesn't need the money from the job to provide for his family, decides that his family is more important to him than his profession, so he chooses to quit his job in order to spend all of his time with his family.

Is that really a reason to castigate an individual? I wonder how many people, if given the choice and opportunity to stay home with family with no financial repercussions rather than work all day, would choose their job over their family?

Now, tell me again why the guy is a miserable ingrate with an irrational personality?
Amen.

LaRoche's tweet, unlike the dumb anger spewed at him, was extremely classy.

His teammate Sales took a far harsher tone vs the VP.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:42 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,216,173 times
Quote:
Hmmm, as close as I can figure it out the regular baseball season is about 26 to 28 weeks long and students have 10 weeks of summer break. And, I believe that the child also attended the preseason training, isn't that another 6 weeks?

So, if there are 32-34 weeks of baseball, most is not during "summer".

But it does not really matter as the dad said that he and his wife "do not value education" anyway.

Last edited by germaine2626; 03-19-2016 at 10:03 PM..

Old 03-19-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Hmmm, as close as I can figure it out the regular baseball season is about 26 to 28 weeks long and students have 10 weeks of summer break. And, I believe that the child also attended the preseason training, isn't that another 6 weeks?

So, if there are 32-34 weeks of baseball, most is not during "summer".

But it does not matter as the dad said that he and his wife "do not value education".
I went to private schools and we had a minimum of 13 weeks off. Plus almost all games are 7 or 7:30 starts now, including home games. Those do not interfere with school at all.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:47 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,708,190 times
Quote:
Spring training starts late February. Regular season starts beginning of April.

March, April, May and a couple weeks of June + September are school months (not counting any playoff time in October). While there are a lot of games played during the summer time (aka no school) there is still a lot of school days during the time baseball falls in.

So he could technically be missing more school days by being with the baseball team than actual time he'd be in the class room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events