Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 09:46 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,617 times

Advertisements

I'm not defending her whole I'll call 911 everytime bs. And yea she probably didn't read her email.

However, if I look at just the facts, I can understand why she originally called 911.

With all the shootings going on, if I was her (and was dumb enough to ignore my emails) I'd call 911 myself. Yes they're in uniforms, but if I see a gun the first thing I'm doing is getting out of sight. I'm not going to stand there and evaluate if it's a real threat.

And even through they're in ROTC uniforms I wouldn't trust that. Anyone can buy a uniform.

That said, she could of avoided ALL of this including her panic attack if she'd just read her emails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 10:04 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Needs to be fined substantially and cited for nuisance 911 calls.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:15 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I'm not defending her whole I'll call 911 everytime bs. And yea she probably didn't read her email.

However, if I look at just the facts, I can understand why she originally called 911.

With all the shootings going on, if I was her (and was dumb enough to ignore my emails) I'd call 911 myself. Yes they're in uniforms, but if I see a gun the first thing I'm doing is getting out of sight. I'm not going to stand there and evaluate if it's a real threat.

And even through they're in ROTC uniforms I wouldn't trust that. Anyone can buy a uniform.

That said, she could of avoided ALL of this including her panic attack if she'd just read her emails.
Yes as a local of the area...I would agree with this. It is easy to miss one e-mail....I have done this at work. I wouldnt call 911, but I can see how someone could. Now she knows.

Now if she would continue to call 911 the next time after knowing the issue, then she is at fault.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:48 AM

I dont think many local people think her initial response was bad or out of line..... just that once she found out about it.... she then goes overboard. She also left a voicemail with the ROTC unit on campus. Her response after the fact is over the top.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:50 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,873 times
What can we say about the sheer silliness of this individual. The University Officer was right in "scolding" her for sounding a false alarm with questionable motives. This professor it seems would do anything for some publicity and attention. If she is so concerned about the well being of the college and the student body, then maybe focus more on improving test scores and student development and not wasting time on truly trivial matter such as the ROTC training. I have to say this professor does seem to be bored. As might the College Board share the same feelings in time.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:53 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Were the ROTC cadets carrying real guns? Were they in uniform? Was the staff informed that these maneuvers were scheduled?

I have more questions then answers at this point.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:13 AM

10,047 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Careful now, it's incredibly cruel to label someone as crazy, even if they act that way.
Seriously? My previous post said it was incredibly cruel to write comments about the professor's APPEARANCE (as in calling her ugly). Did you really think those comments were acceptable in a thread that had nothing to do with appearance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Re ROTC drills on campus: ...

Any professor that has worked on any campus for any length of time would/should be aware of ROTC detachments and their potential to be seen everywhere. We once repelled off the sides of the taller buildings on campus as part of our training, and even allowed (at certain times) other students and professors to try it from more safer heights.

I'm sorry, but depending on how long she's been working there at UND, she should have experienced this already. The fact that she panicked either comes from a complete lack of awareness of her surroundings for most of her waking day, a burning desire to be seen as anti-military as possible, no recall that this has been occurring on college campuses far longer than she's been alive (probably), or... Hell, half a dozen other things that illustrate her incompetence in being in academia.

To defend her actions is ludicrous... unless you share her afflictions.
I attended UNH, UC-Berkeley, and the University of Michigan, all of which have ROTC on campus, and I never saw any ROTC members with guns on campus. I had several friends who were in Army ROTC at Berkeley and I DID see them in uniform sometimes (usually when they were about to go away for the weekend), but never with guns. So maybe how and where they drill varies by campus?

I don't think anyone would defend the professor continuing to call 911 after being told "ROTC will be having a drill tomorrow afternoon," and I agree (as I said in a previous post) that she should have read her email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Karen, that information was in the Washington Times. University of North Dakota professor vows to call 911 on every 'inappropriate' ROTC drill - Washington Times.

I usually crosscheck these articles because they tend to be more inflammatory than they actually are. “We did send an email notifying all students, faculty and staff that ROTC would be holding exercises throughout the spring in the Quad portion of campus."

In this case, I will stand by my statement that the professor is a loon. I know it sounds mean, but the shoe fits, and I will explain why it does indeed fit:

ROTC and wearing Military uniforms are a common sight on most College campuses. There aren't tons of them but they aren't exactly a rare sight. They are not at all difficult to recognize. Drilling is a common practice for them, including drilling with guns. Furthermore, it isn't difficult to recognize soldiers drilling. I didn't serve, and didn't grow up in a military family, and I (and most people) can recognize it easily.
JONOV, thanks for the additional info on the news article. I DO understand your "loon" remark, and I appreciate the additional context -- I just wish the level of discourse were a bit higher on C-D. (Silly me to expect that on the Internet ...)

Old 03-24-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Were the ROTC cadets carrying real guns? Were they in uniform? Was the staff informed that these maneuvers were scheduled?

https://www.sayanythingblog.com/entr...us-rotc-drill/

But in answer to your questions.... yes the ROTC was carrying real guns....now loaded or not I dont know.... they were in uniform ... and UND sends out a general e-mail once per spring semester saying the ROTC will be performing maneuvers on campus during the Spring.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:11 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post

Yes, yes and yes. Look at the link I posted upthread.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:16 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
ROTC should make an announcement so people don't freak out.

Still, the associate professor is a narcissistic, passive-aggressive anti-gun jerk for vowing to call 911 and tying up resources every time she sees ROTC on maneuvers.
They did,...read the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events