Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 06:10 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Comparing this to having sales on Memorial Day isn't the same. We created a holiday and take a day off to celebrate the lives of our Veterans who paid the ultimate sacrifice by serving our country and pay respect to them in remembrance through events like parades and memorials across the nation.
This TV ad is mocking the murder of innocent people and it's quite distasteful & in poor taste.
I wonder what other ads they have planned?
A Pearl Harbor sale?
I agree; we created Memorial Day to celebrate Veterans who gave their lives in the line of duty. However, one of the strange events that occurs around the Memorial Day holiday is furniture sales, particularly mattress sales. My wife and I were having a conversation about this. We are having mattress problems in April and decided to put off buying a new mattress until Memorial Day when they much cheaper. I can't for the life of me figure out the connection between war veterans and mattresses

I think this mattress store thought that they could get away with having a 9/11 sale because customers would think it was just another Memorial Day mattress sale; only in September. If one considers how absurd it is to buy discounted mattresses for Memorial Day, neither concept makes any sense. The 9/11 sale is in horrible taste, without a doubt, but since it's quite possible she was thinking along the lines of typical Memorial Day mattress sales, she was using fallacious reasoning to guide her into an even worse decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 06:12 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Horribly bad taste. I will never forget that awful day. Even watching a special about 9/11 last night left me in tears. I get the same way when I watch anything about the Holocaust. I remember being at work when the boss' son, who was home sick that day, called us and told us to put on the TV. We all thought the first plane was an accident and then we all watched the second one hit. I held it together until the first tower came down. Although I was living in Florida I'm a former New Yorker. It was a scary, awful time that people who were born after 9/11 will never understand.

Same with the assassination of JFK. If you weren't around when it happened you will never understand the grief that our country experienced.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:26 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Horribly bad taste. I will never forget that awful day. Even watching a special about 9/11 last night left me in tears. I get the same way when I watch anything about the Holocaust. I remember being at work when the boss' son, who was home sick that day, called us and told us to put on the TV. We all thought the first plane was an accident and then we all watched the second one hit. I held it together until the first tower came down. Although I was living in Florida I'm a former New Yorker. It was a scary, awful time that people who were born after 9/11 will never understand.

Same with the assassination of JFK. If you weren't around when it happened you will never understand the grief that our country experienced.
It just makes me sad that it's only been 15 years and people are already so desensitized. Ever see the conduct of some at the Memorial? Appalling. What's going to happen in 100 years? Glad I won't be here to find out because I'd slap everyone.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:28 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I have a different feeling when people feel like this, but I will not go into it much. That is, "So on that day, you felt sad, but where were you before when "this incident" happened?" Now, putting me aside, perhaps it is understandable when others do not feel the same about something the way others do.

Of course, not feeling the same is far, far different from making light or jest of a situation.

Every so often, commercials like this come up.

There was one decades ago in Aggieland where a bar was celebrating December 7th with kamikaze drink specials. It was a radio spot with diving aircraft and dropping bomb sounds in the background. The only reason why I probably remember it was because of the following outrage.

Bad taste? Yes. Effective advertising? Well, it does make one look. As far as getting the message out to the people, it has done its job.

Whether anyone goes and buys is questionable but remember, making one's dollar pay is often held higher than maintaining taste and honor......unfortunately.

In this case, making ends meet does not matter as that the store has closed (I don't know what happened to the bar). People should perhaps take lessons from this, from The Grease Man (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Tracht ) and learn that saying things on the airwaves in bad taste can be a very bad idea.

The damage is already done here. It was stated it would be a miracle if they get another dollar in business. In the age of social media, things like this reach countless millions in minutes. Good advertising has the opposite effect. Because of the magnitude of this horrible event they made a mockery of, they will never be allowed to live it down.

As a New Yorker who remembers that day like it was today, personally they get no forgiveness or sympathy from me. Those smirks they had on thier face during this insensitive junk they broadcasted was painful to watch.

May thier front gates never rise to meet the public again.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:06 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I agree; we created Memorial Day to celebrate Veterans who gave their lives in the line of duty. However, one of the strange events that occurs around the Memorial Day holiday is furniture sales, particularly mattress sales. My wife and I were having a conversation about this. We are having mattress problems in April and decided to put off buying a new mattress until Memorial Day when they much cheaper. I can't for the life of me figure out the connection between war veterans and mattresses

I think this mattress store thought that they could get away with having a 9/11 sale because customers would think it was just another Memorial Day mattress sale; only in September. If one considers how absurd it is to buy discounted mattresses for Memorial Day, neither concept makes any sense. The 9/11 sale is in horrible taste, without a doubt, but since it's quite possible she was thinking along the lines of typical Memorial Day mattress sales, she was using fallacious reasoning to guide her into an even worse decision.
Thinking? There was no thinking going on at all in this situation.

And get away with what? What is there to get away with?

Perhaps another attack on this country, maybe in TX this time will get those who are so flippant into being more sensitive.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:19 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
The damage is already done here. It was stated it would be a miracle if they get another dollar in business. In the age of social media, things like this reach countless millions in minutes. Good advertising has the opposite effect. Because of the magnitude of this horrible event they made a mockery of, they will never be allowed to live it down.

As a New Yorker who remembers that day like it was today, personally they get no forgiveness or sympathy from me. Those smirks they had on thier face during this insensitive junk they broadcasted was painful to watch.

May thier front gates never rise to meet the public again.

Her fake screams as the two men fell backwards as the tower mattresses toppled over didn't escape me either. How does anyone with a soul think that's funny? 15 years haven't lessened the impact of that day. I still can't grasp the horror the jumpers must have felt as they jumped through the windows to escape the heat of the exploding jet fuel.

This doesn't even come close to a Memorial Day Sale. Memorial Day honors those who served in our military... those who fought and died to keep our freedom bell ringing.

9/11 was a sneak attack on unarmed civilians going about their average day. They didn't have a chance to fight back ... or retreat into a fox hole when those planes came bearing down on their work stations. There was no battalion or platoon waiting over the hill to save them. No choppers.

The authors of that video should be glad that I don't know who or where they are.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:38 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Please take note that the television station(s) also played a part in this. Maybe the biggest part by airing it.

Folks should be fired.

Folks have been fired for much less insulting actions.
It was posted on the internet, not played on TV. I think that is why they managed to get away with it without the owner having signed off on it.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:43 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don't typically get bothered by stupid things like this but this was very distasteful. It's insulting to those who lost their lives that day, insulting to their families, including extended families, and friends. It's insulting to those who lost their co-workers. It's insulting to anyone who was affected and/or traumatized by that day...and that's real "traumatization", not the horse crap "trauma" that SJWs are always whining about ruining the word.

I hope no one buys a mattress from these insensitive fools.
I would hope so too, but unfortunately there will always those people who value saving a few dollars over something intangible like respecting the victims of that awful day. The best way to show your dislike of this promotion would be to ignore it, and not patronize this business. But there will probably be some who will fall for it.

As much as I dislike this commercial, it's really not that much different than any other holiday based sales gimmick. Memorial Day, Veterans Day, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, and of course the yearly commercialization of Christmas come to mind. Frankly I'm surprised no one has tried to cash in on that other dark day in our history.... Pearl Harbor Day. But that one's too far in the past most likely.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:46 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So what? I was born long after WW2, but I was moved to tears seeing two women who were concentration camp survivors reunited after 70 years, and am horrified at the footage of the camps anytime I see it.
I was not justifying their commercial or their light attitude towards the events of 9/11, I was explaining that their attitude is far from unusual.

I, too, have been moved by accounts of WWII even though I was born nearly 30 years after it ended, but you must be living in eternal anguish if taking a poke at the horrible events of that war offends you since send-ups and satire of the Nazis have been popular since the 1960s.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:54 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
Yes, we will fight this insensitivity with death and rape threats. Good thing the Internet was invented.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events