Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 08:12 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I immediately noticed something else about that peeper.

Did anyone else?

Oh, boy... if it had been any color other than white the lawyers would be signing people up.

Halloween used to be for little children -- a time for them to dress up and get free candy. It should be taken away from the adults and returned to the kids.
Halloween, in its various forms in various cultures, has been for adults too, for centuries. It is not, and never has been, strictly for children.

(You are probably right about people getting butthurt if the 'peeper' was not 'white'.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 09:15 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
According to my mother, way back in the day, on Hallowe'en in Ireland (grandmother's country of origin) the poor adults would black their faces so as not to be recognized and go from house to house asking for "any old cold pieces".

Old 09-28-2016, 09:19 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
I sincerely hope that there's a nice place in hell for those who think that it would be humorous to put something like this on some unsuspecting person's window.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:35 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Halloween, in its various forms in various cultures, has been for adults too, for centuries. It is not, and never has been, strictly for children.

(You are probably right about people getting butthurt if the 'peeper' was not 'white'.)

I didn't say "strictly" for children. I'm sure you're intelligence enough to understand what I'm talking about. Maybe you're not old enough to remember, and you're relying on Google to give you your opinion about what things were like back when.

There's been a progression of Halloween over the past 60 years. In the fifties it was for children... unless the parents were very, very weird. Parents stayed home. The holiday was tailored for their children. Costumes were handmade by mom and dad, and prepared weeks in advance. Only few parents could afford store-bought costumes. Kids wore their parents clothing and went Trick-or-Treating dressed as hobos or princess. No kid doused himself in fake blood. Decorations weren't meant to sicken or scare people half to death. It was all about the free candy, which we collected in brown paper grocery bags.

Look at the bloody, gory costumes of today... the accessories... the wickedly ghastly costumes for adults. America's sick obsession with Halloween and the occult have given rise to what we have today... including Peepers intended to stop someone's heart. Not funny, but certainly not unusual in today's society.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:40 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
I never was too keen on scaring children during Halloween or any other time.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:45 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I sincerely hope that there's a nice place in hell for those who think that it would be humorous to put something like this on some unsuspecting person's window.

prank
[praNGk]

NOUN
a practical joke or mischievous act.
synonyms: (practical) joke · trick · piece of mischief · escapade · [more]

VERB
informal
play a trick or practical joke on (someone):
"the individuals who were pranked thought they were auditioning to be a TV show host" · [more]

Old 09-28-2016, 09:50 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times
I saw that thing at my local HD and thought it was pretty creepy all right but to ban it is weak.
If you don't like it then don't buy it.

I'm surprised that PETA hasn't stepped up to have them ban the skeleton cats and dogs yet that HD also sells.
It is so wrong to use a dead animal or the likeness of a dead animal as a Halloween decoration.....

When will the madness end?

Old 09-28-2016, 09:52 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Does anybody else remember taking a large wooden spool (sewing thread type), cutting notches around the rims, making a handle out of a wire coat hanger, wrapping string around the middle of it? Then, you would sneak up to a house on Halloween, put the spool on a window, and pull the string. The notches on the glass would make a terrible racket, scaring everybody in the house.
It was considered great fun in my younger days.

How about the witch face first on the tree, with the broom handle apparently sticking through the tree? I know somebody who has one of those, but now that she is 80 she might not put it out.

Yes, the world is changing. Don Rickles could not make a living today.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:52 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I saw that thing at my local HD and thought it was pretty creepy all right but to ban it is weak.
If you don't like it then don't buy it.

I'm surprised that PETA hasn't stepped up to have them ban the skeleton cats and dogs yet that HD also sells.
It is so wrong to use a dead animal or the likeness of a dead animal as a Halloween decoration.....

When will the madness end?
Not to mention to thousands of masks and costumes depicting injury, blood, dis-figuration, death, gaping open wounds etc... omg we should ban those because it makes light of injury/death.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:56 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post

prank
[praNGk]

NOUN
a practical joke or mischievous act.
synonyms: (practical) joke · trick · piece of mischief · escapade · [more]

VERB
informal
play a trick or practical joke on (someone):
"the individuals who were pranked thought they were auditioning to be a TV show host" · [more]
Aren't jokes, as part of their fundamental definition, supposed to be funny?

I guess I don't see the humor in scaring the crap out of an unconsenting person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events