Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 01:19 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
None of those other items that you listed are designed solely to be used to make unsuspecting people believe that they and their families lives may be at risk.

A product designed to trick someone into thinking that a criminal is looking in their window is a horrible idea. It has nothing to do with the "pussification" of America as you put it.
Neither is this one. It takes a person to put it on SOMEONE ELSES window who is UNSUSPECTING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 01:23 PM

8,069 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
...my 80 year old mom who lived alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
...solely to be used to make unsuspecting people believe...

People, people, people! Practical jokes are intended to be played on your friends, not "the elderly" or a random single mom down the street!

The fact that so many people feel the need to control others by banning practical jokes because "they might get out of hand or use poor judgment", that's the scary part here.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:33 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,111 times
I guess this has got to go back to the store then:

Old 09-28-2016, 02:56 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,233,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
It's really the responsibility of the prankster to choose their victim wisely. Your roommates, your brother, your cousin, would all be likely targets. Grandma, your pregnant wife, or the village idiot would be unwise targets.

The images are scrupulously Caucasian and blue-eyed, so I fail to see what the problem is.

Damn snowflakes are so uptight nowadays.
this. i was going to say this. i would imagine that anyone that would try to trick someone with this gag would know that the person they are tricking would be able to handle it. they wouldn't put it on grandma's window or a neighbor that they do not know. but maybe would try to get a scare out of their roommate or brother, etc.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:33 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I didn't say "strictly" for children. I'm sure you're intelligence enough to understand what I'm talking about. Maybe you're not old enough to remember, and you're relying on Google to give you your opinion about what things were like back when.

There's been a progression of Halloween over the past 60 years. In the fifties it was for children... unless the parents were very, very weird. Parents stayed home. The holiday was tailored for their children. Costumes were handmade by mom and dad, and prepared weeks in advance. Only few parents could afford store-bought costumes. Kids wore their parents clothing and went Trick-or-Treating dressed as hobos or princess. No kid doused himself in fake blood. Decorations weren't meant to sicken or scare people half to death. It was all about the free candy, which we collected in brown paper grocery bags.

Look at the bloody, gory costumes of today... the accessories... the wickedly ghastly costumes for adults. America's sick obsession with Halloween and the occult have given rise to what we have today... including Peepers intended to stop someone's heart. Not funny, but certainly not unusual in today's society.
Awww; your post made me nostalgic for the Halloween's of my childhood!

I remember taking pillow cases for the candy. The year I went as an Angel with the halo & wings my dad made with clothes-hangers & tinfoil. Real pumpkin jack-o-lanterns with real candles inside.

Back then you could wear your costume to school & we would even have costume contests AT SCHOOL.

Maybe waking up to a TP'd yard from the teen-agers in the neighborhood ...

It wasn't a mass-consumerism event like it is now.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:57 PM

7,049 posts, read 4,816,256 times
That peeper is pretty creepy.

I think it would make a great decoration for a Haloween party, stuck where you know it would be noticed (like a bathroom winow).

As for someone sticking it on some unsuspecting person's window, I think that would be kinda mean. I know I'd be a little pizzed if I came home and saw that lookinf in my window! Heart attack city!

Not sure how people are equating it to crimes against a person, though, lol.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:28 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Creative and kind of cool as Halloween scares go, I must say.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:04 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
Lol, that was hilarious!

You can be sure HD won't be the only outlet for that thing. Leave it to nervous Aunt Ednas to be outraged about a dang HALLOWEEN decoration that's....scary.

Yeesh.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:17 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I
Halloween used to be for little children -- a time for them to dress up and get free candy. It should be taken away from the adults and returned to the kids.
To some degree I think this is the root of these problems. Kids used to get scared by a mask and an unexpected scream. Since adults have gotten involved people are chasing an every scarier "high".

And I have to admit to my part in it. I have been to the Eastern State Penitentiary multiple times for both their daytime tours and their halloween fright nights. But I can see how that is a similar issue as this one and the one about the mental illness.

Maybe something are too far...you provided some food for thought, thanks.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:29 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
People, people, people! Practical jokes are intended to be played on your friends, not "the elderly" or a random single mom down the street!

The fact that so many people feel the need to control others by banning practical jokes because "they might get out of hand or use poor judgment", that's the scary part here.
I've known plenty of people who have been out of control and used poor judgement. I'm related to some of them.

I didn't say anything about banning it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events