Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 11:47 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times

Advertisements

I really don't like pranks...especially that scare people. This item isn't meant to be a decoration, its meant to scare the poo out of someone. To me it feels like middle school, when that stuff was funny to do to people, before my brain developed more and I realized its actually not funny at all. Its usually getting a laugh at another person's expense.

If you have a buddy who loves pranks and being pranked, feel free...but the majority of people don't really enjoy it, not as much as the prankster does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 11:55 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
It's the only time anyone belonging to Home Depot will look at you.
Oh, sooo true!

Old 09-28-2016, 12:01 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I didn't say "strictly" for children. I'm sure you're intelligence enough to understand what I'm talking about. Maybe you're not old enough to remember, and you're relying on Google to give you your opinion about what things were like back when.

There's been a progression of Halloween over the past 60 years. In the fifties it was for children... unless the parents were very, very weird. Parents stayed home. The holiday was tailored for their children. Costumes were handmade by mom and dad, and prepared weeks in advance. Only few parents could afford store-bought costumes. Kids wore their parents clothing and went Trick-or-Treating dressed as hobos or princess. No kid doused himself in fake blood. Decorations weren't meant to sicken or scare people half to death. It was all about the free candy, which we collected in brown paper grocery bags.

Look at the bloody, gory costumes of today... the accessories... the wickedly ghastly costumes for adults. America's sick obsession with Halloween and the occult have given rise to what we have today... including Peepers intended to stop someone's heart. Not funny, but certainly not unusual in today's society.
I *am* inteligent, enough to understand that you don't know what you're talking about. Since I have been alive for nearly the entire last 60 years I remember quite well how things were- and that includes adults participating. Maybe you didn't have the same observation/experience, but that is your own limited perception. Just because *you* don't know it happened, doesn't mean it didn't happen. It may be that it didn't happen where you were, that you know of, but your experience/knowledge (or lack of) does not apply to everyone, everywhere.

Sure, technology has advanced since then, and 'ordinary' people now have access to costumes and accessories that were once mainly restricted to movie studios, but so what? We had fake blood then, and plastic, glow-in-the-dark vampire teeth and all sorts of stuff. It's just a little more realistic now...and it's still fun. Rubbery masks are better than the cheap, molded plastic crap we had back then; miniature motorized pumps have replaced squirt-bags/bulbs.

We did the best we could to replicate the movie costumes of Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney Jr. and others.

You must not have got out much.

All it is, is what it has been for a long time- poking fun at the things that scare people.

Lighten up, have a little fun. Don't be like the woman in the old house that no one ever went to because it was rumored that she was a witch and put razor blades in the apples.

Last edited by Zymer; 09-28-2016 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Speel chucker broked.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:02 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I'm just assuming here that you buy this to put in your own window for laughs from passers by. I don't think many are buying this to stick in someone else's window.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:03 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
We should get rid of any costume that makes fun of or scares people in any way, shape, or form.

Way to go America, one step further along the road to total PC.
LOL... fifty years ago they were burning Beatles records because John Lennon hurt some peoples feelings over his 'We're bigger than Jesus' comment, television stations refused to air a Star Trek episode because a kiss between a white man and a black woman was depicted, and Hollywood had strict rules limiting the amount of violence that could be shown.

And yet people delude themselves into believing that aversion to offense is something new...

Last edited by Unsettomati; 09-28-2016 at 12:26 PM..

Old 09-28-2016, 12:04 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times
Too many people want something stopped or banned because its not; happy, pretty, or good.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:22 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Aren't jokes, as part of their fundamental definition, supposed to be funny?

I guess I don't see the humor in scaring the crap out of an unconsenting person.

Unconsenting? What are you alluding to here? Practical joke rape?

Old 09-28-2016, 12:24 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Unconsenting? What are you alluding to here? Practical joke rape?
Yes, that's absolutely what I'm alluding to.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:45 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Halloween decorations are bought to scare people. What's the big deal about this one?

Oh... wait... let me guess.

One customer complained to Home Depot.

Home Depot, having been shaped by our PC society, and anticipating a lawsuit, immediately removed it from it's shelves.

Pathetic.
Explain that one to my 80 year old mom who lived alone. She called me when things went bump in the night. I had to figure out whether I should call the neighbor or the police.

I don't like that "decoration".

Old 09-28-2016, 01:15 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Then you have a lot to learn. I'm not saying I do it, or laugh at it, but your response and there response is what is referred to as "the pussification of America".

First of all, this isn't a new product, this has been around for many years.

Have you seen texas chainsaw massacre?? Should we ban all chainsaws too?
Heck guns have killed people, why aren't those gone. Kids choke on toys, babies drowned in pools. People need to learn to suck it up, and let other stuff go.

I'm not sure if you are trolling (based on some other posts, I think so,) or if you are actually this scared of life, that that's where you take it.

None of those other items that you listed are designed solely to be used to make unsuspecting people believe that they and their families lives may be at risk.

A product designed to trick someone into thinking that a criminal is looking in their window is a horrible idea. It has nothing to do with the "pussification" of America as you put it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events