Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 09:49 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,219,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red as Gold View Post
Interesting.
Of course, if the shop owner broke the law we should also be wary of talking his word, should we not?

Also, not all abuse leaves marks that would be visible in the linked photos.

This is why vigilante justice is rightly not the preferred method - it does a terrible job considering all the facts and not relying overly on emotion.
My version of the vigilante justice would be a little different. First they would not have kept their underwear.They would have received a good bare bottom paddling and then be allowed to leave with no calls to the police. Would they be stupid enough to tell the police they were butt naked outside because a man they tried to rob took their clothes and beat them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 10:09 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The 2 burglars look like real winners.

Well it could have been worse for them...
Thoughts of the scene in the basement of the pawn shop from the movie "Pulp Fiction" springs to mind.
The store owner need only say "time to bring out the gimp" to see the burglars weep in fear.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:15 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,532,052 times
If I was on that jury I'd let him off.

Don't go out robbing people and those guys wouldn't have had a problem.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:16 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Isn't Orange County in California? Anyway, this reminds me of a very similar real life true crime case that I heard about yesterday. It occurred in MN. Two teenagers broke into a senior homeowner's house on Thanksgiving Day 2012. This man's home had been burglarized several times before, including multiple times by these same teens, and he had surveillance footage to prove the teens broke in.

Once they entered the home, the homeowner emerged from the basement and shot both teens to death. He was convicted of murder for several reasons, one being the teenagers were not armed, another being he waited 24 hours before calling police after the shooting, and a third that he had an audiotape of the killing in which the man said some very unsavory things about the burglars. The community was very polarized on the case. Why would he be convicted? The teenagers were invading his home, had done so before, and deserved everything they got. The police said the man was lying in wait for something to happen and he used excessive force. Is it vigilante justice to do something to burglars when they are invading your property? That's different than killing someone when they aren't threatening you at the time (i.e. shooting a child molester who victimized your son/daughter after the fact.) That's vigilante justice, IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_...Smith_killings
I was always under the impression that if you shoot someone during a home invastion that was perfectly legal. I heard a quote from an officer that said "make sure they fall inside the house".

As for this story I too feel no sympathy for these punks. But the laws that led to the shop owner's arrest exist for a reason. You simply can not allow citizens to take the law into their own hands. And kidnapping and assault is illegal.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:52 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
I am all for castle doctrine and self-defense, but loose cannons who torture their perpetrators are more likely to bring problems for responsible gun posession/usage than actually shooting people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Isn't Orange County in California?
There are at least 8 (eight) Orange counties in the US.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:08 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
Quote:
Hopefully you don't consider that a bigger problem than the moral issue of torturing people.
Poor guy. He, his brother and his girlfriend, are in for more problems than if they had just shot the crooks.

They did not torture the crooks. They just beat them to teach them not to break in and steal from people.

Next time just shoot them, is the moral of the story.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:54 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,219,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Poor guy. He, his brother and his girlfriend, are in for more problems than if they had just shot the crooks.

They did not torture the crooks. They just beat them to teach them not to break in and steal from people.

Next time just shoot them, is the moral of the story
It will be interesting to see how the District Attorney handles this.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:28 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Quote:
Hopefully you don't consider that a bigger problem than the moral issue of torturing people.
No, of course not. I was speaking hypothetically.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:15 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,321,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXEX55 View Post
Am I supposed to feel sorry for those poor crooks? Don't rob stores and you don't have to worry.
Exactly. If you don't want this sort of thing happening, then it's very simple--leave other people's belongings alone. Period. If it's not yours, don't touch it. Get off your lazy [donkey] and earn it.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:49 PM

578 posts, read 459,075 times
Quote:
I'm certainly not condoning burglary but do you believe that burglars can also be the victim of a crime or can one do whatever they want to a burglar?
How about other instances of law breaking?
Most people can't answer your question they are filled with raw emotions they believe if you commit a crime you deserve death,beatings,etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events