Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 05:29 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Wonder if a Jury will convict the store owner on any crimes. If you look at our legal system these guys who burglarize stores usually are back on the street in less then a year doing the same thing again.

Burglars say shop owner tortured them, made them strip naked after they broke into store | WFTV
Aw. So sad.
Not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 07:43 AM

27,197 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Hope it wasn't a Pulp Fiction type scenario.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:52 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
I normally am against vigilante justice, but I see this scenario as different from other vigilante scenarios. Many of them are similar to this: a father finds the pedophile who molested his daughter years ago. The man is walking to the store. The dad shoots and kills the guy. To me, that's different because the person was not committing a crime at the moment and the father murdered the person.

In this situation, the burglars broke into the store. If they hadn't broken into the store, the shopkeeper wouldn't have done a thing to them. I'm having a difficult time viewing these criminals as victims.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:13 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,501,223 times
Quote:
Quote:
That said, he probably did take it too far. Stripping them to their underwear is a bit odd I must say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red as Gold View Post

And if that taking it too far was in violation of the law, he should feel the effects of the law, no?
I used the wrong language with "too far". I'm a little skeeved by the stripping them thing. I think that's strange.

Now if he had left their clothes on and shot them or whacked them with a baseball bat, I don't think that would be a bad thing at all. They were in the act of robbing this poor guy, and he had been robbed several times before IIRC.

He could probably honestly claim PTSD in his defense if they do end up charging him. Only someone who has had someone break into a place where they have the right to feel safe can understand the emotional havoc that sense of violation and feeling of vulnerability wreaks on your psyche.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:38 PM

2,309 posts, read 903,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Not everyone wants to break the commandment, "thou shall not kill". Some people do have some standards which they live by.
Who said that your intention was to kill them if you shoot?

Old 12-04-2016, 08:45 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,219,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Who said that your intention was to kill them if you shoot?
If they live through it you will face a big lawsuit.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:32 PM

13,282 posts, read 7,330,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
If they live through it you will face a big lawsuit.
There won't be any lawsuit lot of those criminal retaliation lawsuits are fake every time I hear that no one can give me one example of one that actually went to a jury most are dismissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
I've always daydreamed about how those burglers who broke into Kim Kardashian's room in Paris and stole her jewelry should have stripped her naked and left her tied up in the bathroom so she would have been scared straight and appreciate the less fortunate people in the world.
I think that was a publicity stunt to keep her name in the media ratings were down who knows. I think even her body guards who used to travel with her said the whole thing sounded strange looked fake.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:25 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times
Quote:
If 20% of criminal activity could be stopped many could relax.
Quote:
Do you have any evidence that allowing vigilante justice would decrease criminal activity?
There is an 86% recidivism rate among live criminals.

There is a 0% recidivism rate among dead criminals.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:51 PM

515 posts, read 558,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Hope it wasn't a Pulp Fiction type scenario.
Zed's dead baby!

Old 12-08-2016, 08:04 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,565,695 times
Quote:
So?
Preventing recidivism doesn't prevent the original crime
It also opens up for revenge vigilanteism.
Not to mention, if a vigilante enacts what they believe is justice on the wrong individual - that's a crime.

So, if it's your belief that vigilante justice prevents crime, provide some hard evidence to support your position.
Not a Charles Bronson fan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events