Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 03:12 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
When I was in college and grad school (in the late 2000s and early 2010s), I backpacked through Europe and Asia. My parents basically put the fear of god into me and I was very careful and mindful of my surroundings.

But many of the people I met along the way were quite the opposite. This did not only include Americans, mind you, but Brits, Aussies, and Scots as well. They acted like they could just do whatever they wanted, which can go very wrong especially in the third world countries.

I was especially baffled with some of the women that I met. A few were routinely becoming heavily intoxicated and going home with strange men. Very risky. That's how situations like the Natalee Holloway case happen.
Americans need to be more careful than people from other countries. Many people have a negative preconception when they deal with someone from the United States. If one asks one where they are from it's safer to say Canada, say a few 'eys and move on. The US gov't needs to learn to shut up, cut down on negative media attention and stop publically being in other peoples business.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:27 PM

424 posts, read 236,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I've been to Italy, was a victim of crime there, and at no time did I ever feel safe. The country is also over run with many people from all over the world. I honestly never want to go back there. I'm sure that thirty years ago, it was a beautiful country to visit, and much safer.
That was not my experience at all. I was there 10 years ago and lived there for several months.

But I am Italian though (I'm a dual citizen). I'm told I look Italian and can get by with conversational Italian. I'm also a male. I usually use my Italian passport when traveling outside of the US (even though I do have a US passport) and I never identify myself as American.

So maybe that's why we had different experiences.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:40 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times
Italy's justice system is a disaster zone even by US standards, so I expect anyone who'd had the good fortune to avoid their police from both ends (victim of crime, or suspect in a crime) probably take away a very different impression of the country.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Americans need to be more careful than people from other countries. Many people have a negative preconception when they deal with someone from the United States. If one asks one where they are from it's safer to say Canada, say a few 'eys and move on. The US gov't needs to learn to shut up, cut down on negative media attention and stop publically being in other peoples business.
It's a shame that they hate individual Americans because of what their country's government does. I'm married to a man from another country, and it took a long time for his family to stop hating me. When I first went to visit them, they were worried I would eat all the food in their house and use up all their water. "You Americans are greedy". So I bought my own food and cut back on bathing while I was there. They were angry at me about President Bush, and I had to explain to them, that I didn't vote for Bush. My husband's uncle repeatedly told me he never wanted to visit the USA, in an obvious effort to offend me, but I told him I didn't care if he did or not. It took years for his family to calm down and stop acting this way towards me based on my nationality.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:55 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times
Quote:
It's a shame that they hate individual Americans because of what their country's government does. I'm married to a man from another country, and it took a long time for his family to stop hating me. When I first went to visit them, they were worried I would eat all the food in their house and use up all their water. "You Americans are greedy". So I bought my own food and cut back on bathing while I was there. They were angry at me about President Bush, and I had to explain to them, that I didn't vote for Bush. My husband's uncle repeatedly told me he never wanted to visit the USA, in an obvious effort to offend me, but I told him I didn't care if he did or not. It took years for his family to calm down and stop acting this way towards me based on my nationality.
Dropped off my teen at the airport this morning for her summer in Europe. She'll be staying with host families. Some of the advice I gave her: take extremely small portions of food, take very quick showers, carry toilet paper, expect to be quizzed (sometimes angrily) on U.S. politics/president and remain poised, speak the language (luckily she's pretty good at multiple languages)... Also, if you are confronted by a stranger for being an American (happens to me a lot), explain that you are actually Canadian (not that far from the truth - we have a home in Canada).

I am a little stressed out about her trip....

Old 06-18-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Dropped off my teen at the airport this morning for her summer in Europe. She'll be staying with host families. Some of the advice I gave her: take extremely small portions of food, take very quick showers, carry toilet paper, expect to be quizzed (sometimes angrily) on U.S. politics/president and remain poised, speak the language (luckily she's pretty good at multiple languages)... Also, if you are confronted by a stranger for being an American (happens to me a lot), explain that you are actually Canadian (not that far from the truth - we have a home in Canada).

That stressed out feeling never goes away with our kids. Xanax helps.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:16 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
How lame. People need to get over themselves.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post

Here's another story:

When I was backpacking through Asia, I met a cute American girl that was, coincidentally, from the same county that I'm in the US. We are basically "travel bf/gf" for a few days. This ended when we were in Thailand. I had been telling people that I was Canadian (this was before I received my dual Italian citizenship) because I learned quickly that it was potentially dangerous to tell people I was American.

She flipped out and caused a huge scene in Thailand. She called me unpatriotic (ironic since I'm a military veteran and she didn't serve) and drew A LOT of attention to us.

If anything, this solidified my belief that I should not identify myself as American and to stay away from Americans when traveling.

The next day, I met a German girl and spent the rest of my trip with her. Way more pleasant.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
How lame. People need to get over themselves.
They aren't wrong though.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
Here's another story:

When I was backpacking through Asia, I met a cute American girl that was, coincidentally, from the same county that I'm in the US. We are basically "travel bf/gf" for a few days. This ended when we were in Thailand. I had been telling people that I was Canadian (this was before I received my dual Italian citizenship) because I learned quickly that it was potentially dangerous to tell people I was American.

She flipped out and caused a huge scene in Thailand. She called me unpatriotic (ironic since I'm a military veteran and she didn't serve) and drew A LOT of attention to us.

If anything, this solidified my belief that I should not identify myself as American and to stay away from Americans when traveling.

The next day, I met a German girl and spent the rest of my trip with her. Way more pleasant.
Yup.

I liked Thailand. Spent a month there, spent around $500 and lived like a king.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events